Pay Admits Time Running Out

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
View attachment 14517

Note that throughout the past 50 years, the following coaches were replaced after not making the finals series: Hagan, Clift, Ryan, Gould, Folkes, Moore & Hasler.

The following coaches were only given an extra year after not making the finals series: Glossip & Anderson.

Yet Pay remains the only coach in the last 50 years retained after not making the finals series for 2 consecutive years.
All the coaches you speak of, coached without a cap or above it and we were one of the richest clubs in the comp. There was no excuse.
Pay has to do it with about 80% of the cap and 4 or 5 players he wouldn’t have if he could choose.
If he doesn’t make the finals next year, nothing will save him.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Flanagan will not get his NRL coaching licence back until 2022 at the earliest. Maybe not even then as it’s an NRL decision. Coaching any NRL team in 2021 is not an option.

Go Dogs
Nasheed here,
That works out well.
Pay deserves 2021. He's sifted through sewerage, pig shit and semen to be in a spot we can buY the players we want. He deserves to have a go when he Is on a level playing field.
I also have reservations on his recruitment judgment, and that's fair to pick apart, but let
The Kennel be put on notice. I will not tolerate From today criticism of Pays coaching for 11 more months. Anyone who does will be dealt with harshly.

But by all means if he fails, then Flanagan is the man.
To be honest apart from Bellamy and Hasler there is no other coach I would rather be in charge of the dogs.
I'm absolutely shocked only half the kennel has agreed to that in the past.

- has record of success
- has record of turning around a terrible team into premiership winners quickishly
- has a great eye for recruitment and landing his man
- not afraid to play dirty
- builds siege mentality
- players adored playing for him by all accounts
- following on from the above, could probably land some St George and Cronulla talent for us
- is local, and has coached our neighbours which makes recruiting easier

I honestly bone up at the thought of Flanno being in charge, and start to throb when I think of all the players he cousins get us and what he could do. Nasheed.

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well you know how good Dean Pay is when he selects Priest over other better players.

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also you know how good Dean Pay is when he had opportunities to sign a decent hooker but opted to stick Jmk.

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We will also know how good Dean Pay is when he signs a player for 2021.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
View attachment 14517

Note that throughout the past 50 years, the following coaches were replaced after not making the finals series: Hagan, Clift, Ryan, Gould, Folkes, Moore & Hasler.

The following coaches were only given an extra year after not making the finals series: Glossip & Anderson.

Yet Pay remains the only coach in the last 50 years retained after not making the finals series for 2 consecutive years.
glossop retained after not making the finals series for 2 consecutive years and Anderson retained after not making the finals for 3 years, lucky that they did because 1993, 94 and 95 the dogs returned to the top, competed with the best and eventually won the title

you're also only considering the year that those coaches were sacked because folkes survived twice and didn't get renewed at the start of 2008 after making it 2 years in a row

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Coronavirus or not, to re-sign a coach for two more years who has a win percentage south of 35% and has been responsible for the worst attack in the comp during two plus seasons would be a preposterous decision that would only set the club back further.

Surely our management aren't that blind or soft and would finally pull the trigger on a replacement. Who that replacement would be, I don't know.. But things can't get much worse and Pay has proven he isn't a head coach as he has zero tactical nous or gameplan. He's a defensive assistant at best.

Last edited:

grunta

= dOgGyStYlE =
Reaction score
Id be after Wayne Bennett mate! He's been told he is no longer wanted at souths and Jason demetriou will be taking over the reigns...
I think it was obvious Pay was going to get another contract extension unless he got the wooden spoon just because he hasn't had a chance to coach a competitive roster as well as no other top coach being available (Holbrook was sideways and O'Brien would always take the Knights job over us). Even if he's extended for two years, if next year is underwhelming, as expectations will be higher, he could still be given the flick after one year. The only top coach I see on the horizon is Flanagan but that's for 2022. Almost regardless how Pay goes, if things change and a top coach becomes available we should be ruthless and go for him (as long as it's the right coach for us moving forward, whoever that may be).

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
glossop retained after not making the finals series for 2 consecutive years and Anderson retained after not making the finals for 3 years, lucky that they did because 1993, 94 and 95 the dogs returned to the top, competed with the best and eventually won the title

you're also only considering the year that those coaches were sacked because folkes survived twice and didn't get renewed at the start of 2008 after making it 2 years in a row
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm tired of the "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear argument".

Most first grade coaches at least a a set move for an attacking play they practice all week at training.

Ours seems to be a high bomb on the fifth with rarely anyone contesting and when we do we knock on.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Very disappointing performance against the cowboys. Can't see him being extended unless they improve a lot.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
This team may have average players YES.!!! But there is a lot of potential in this team, you see glimpses of it.. and pay does not have what it takes to bring out that potential. So no extension, times up..!!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
View attachment 14517

I'm a little out of date, which other coaches had to play two to three million under the salary cap? Which other coaches went into the season with a squad expected to come bottom four (and even worse)? That graph doesn't really mean anything. Pay up until now has met the realistic expectations that were set for our team before a ball was kicked.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm a little out of date, which other coaches had to play two to three million under the salary cap? Which other coaches went into the season with a squad expected to come bottom four (and even worse)? That graph doesn't really mean anything. Pay up until now has met the realistic expectations that were set for our team before a ball was kicked.
So coming 12th two seasons in a row with the worst attack in the comp each year and a 0-2 record to start the third season is enough to earn an extension and exceeds expectations? Paul Langmack and Jason Taylor would be 10 year coaches with such a low bar.

Has our team improved over his three seasons in charge? We average the least amount of points in the comp each season. We start off each season last or second last for the first half of the year and "go on a run" late in the season and even then still only finish 12th!

So what has Pay done to warrant an extension? How has he improved the team during his tenure? Our defence has improved but everything else has stagnated or regressed. People suggesting to extend him are out of their minds. Talk about settling for mediocrity..

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The jury is out on Pay.. but i dont like some of the duds hes recruited or persisted with.. no excuses for that..

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
We were nominated by the “experts” to win the spoon in 2018 based on our playing squad. But we exceeded their expectations and finished equal 12th on games won.

In 2019 we were again nominated by the “experts” to win the spoon based on our playing squad. But we exceeded their expectations and finished equal 11th on games won.

I don’t believe that we can ignore the above, some credit therefore must be allocated to the coaching staff for us overachieving.

Of course we demand more, but 2018/19/20 are different seasons than we have faced in our past. Previously we have been able to add players to fill obvious deficiencies, but this time around we haven’t been able to do that. Fortunately this stops this year and next year the Salary Cap handcuffs are off. Signing Thompson is a good start, looking forward to what’s next.

Go Dogs

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the club extends him for 1 year fair enough but if they extend him for 2 that's a big strike against the board as far as I'm concerned. For what possible reason would we need to make it 2 years. There's no chance in the world any other club is thinking of poaching Pay on his record so far.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Things have fallen Pays way to some extent with all the uncertainty around the game at the minute. It’s going to be really hard to make a coaching change now.

This season should have been his litmus test and he still has question marks over him being the long term answer. Even if this season starts back up again and the team fails there will be enough disruption for the club to justify keeping Pay around for a year or two.
Agree-I think no matter what happens the remainder of this so called season that dean will be given an extended contract
The management can always justify things to suit
He should only be given until the end of 2021 just to keep him honest and really gauge were we are at with fewer excuses or interruptions
Pressure is going to ramp up at the back end of next year for all parties including
The Board,Dean and players alike.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It does matter who coaches us now. For fuk sake sign Flanagan for 2 years ...we need a high profile coach with the ability to attract quality players. Players like Fifita would never consider our club if they could sign with another team with a more high profile coach.
Y on earth,would we want Flanagan,he rorted the salary cap,was involved in the peptide problem,even when he was banned by the nrl,he still managed to get in trouble,he left Cronulla in a mess,very similar to what Dessie left us in,no thanks