Pay Admits Time Running Out

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Interview with Dean Pay...admits time running out for him to secure his future at Belmore but that the season suspension is a blessing in terms of getting Foz and other injured players back on deck.

Was due to meet with the board this week after the traditional Good Friday game against the Wabbits which of course didn't happen.

Rumours of a 2-year extension being tabled - cue the outrage on TK! :-)

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-ca...-of-time/0555f10c-ae37-4e4c-b96d-b0568c455e33

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Things have fallen Pays way to some extent with all the uncertainty around the game at the minute. It’s going to be really hard to make a coaching change now.

This season should have been his litmus test and he still has question marks over him being the long term answer. Even if this season starts back up again and the team fails there will be enough disruption for the club to justify keeping Pay around for a year or two.

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interview with Dean Pay...admits time running out for him to secure his future at Belmore but that the season suspension is a blessing in terms of getting Foz and other injured players back on deck.

Was due to meet with the board this week after the traditional Good Friday game against the Wabbits which of course didn't happen.

Rumours of a 2-year extension being tabled - cue the outrage on TK! :-)

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-ca...-of-time/0555f10c-ae37-4e4c-b96d-b0568c455e33
LOL i can see its about to start

Delta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Wasn't initially a fan of Dean Pay, but can see reason for keeping him. We don't have a good side yet and I believe we can build our team through the years like Brad Arthur did. I 100% believe that in the next couple of years we can unearth some exceptional talents in our lower grades which will give us the building blocks of a Premiership team. Surely, out of all the halves we have: Lachlan Lewis, Brandon Wakeham, Bailey Binodi Odi, Jake Averillo, Jack Cogger... we have a great combination. Likewise can be said for the centres... Jake Averillo, Isiah Tass, Morgan Harper, Isiah Tass etc. By the looks of our resignings, it seems to be that by the end of 2021, we should have a good idea of who is going to be part of our charge to the premiership, hence why only a few players are signed past that date (CHN (gone), Jackson (2023), Stimson, DWZ). The players just mentioned are probably the ones that the club has locked in for our charge to the premiership. Then for that point, it is only a matter of acquiring some already established signings.

To summarise, I believe the club's direction is to take this season and 2021 to determine who is the wheat and who is the chaff, with 3 players already locked in past that date. From then on, the 'wheat' will form our team, and we will plug holes by free agency. Hence, why they are willing to resign dean pay because we are still in rebuiliding phase.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Had to roll my eyes when Pay started talking about continuity lol... He made so many unnecessary changes over the years most surrounding R.Smith.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Pay would need 3 massive seasons to even try get back to a 50% win ratio. Coaches like this rarely last, eg Nathan Brown at Newcastle. I'd say the club will give him 1 year and assess options.

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
there is no coach in the nrl who i believe gets us near the top 8. i see it as how nathan brown started the rebuild for newcastle, except we are far more progressed. there is a premiership winning roster off contract at the moment and with a few good signings we can get back into the mix.

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: pay was given a train wreck...... he has done well and set up the club in the direction we want. He should be proud of his efforts and has done a good job with what he had. I still think he needs 1 more year before we see something good. To all the donkeys who say crap on here is evident you don’t know much. I can’t fight you all because I’ll get banned again, I am glad you all have no say in club is run or we would have Ray Dibs everywhere .... farken hell!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think it was obvious Pay was going to get another contract extension unless he got the wooden spoon just because he hasn't had a chance to coach a competitive roster as well as no other top coach being available (Holbrook was sideways and O'Brien would always take the Knights job over us). Even if he's extended for two years, if next year is underwhelming, as expectations will be higher, he could still be given the flick after one year. The only top coach I see on the horizon is Flanagan but that's for 2022. Almost regardless how Pay goes, if things change and a top coach becomes available we should be ruthless and go for him (as long as it's the right coach for us moving forward, whoever that may be).

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It doesn’t matter who coaches us at this point. We have to many average players.

We need to recruit some quality like we did for 2009 season. We went from wooden spoon to the top of the table with 5 quality recruits.
It does matter who coaches us now. For fuk sake sign Flanagan for 2 years ...we need a high profile coach with the ability to attract quality players. Players like Fifita would never consider our club if they could sign with another team with a more high profile coach.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Pay would need 3 massive seasons to even try get back to a 50% win ratio. Coaches like this rarely last, eg Nathan Brown at Newcastle. I'd say the club will give him 1 year and assess options.
Pay is currently a rebuild coach, just like Brown was. He'll be given a chance with our "competitive" roster for 2021 and if he fails miserably will be given the flick, just like Brown was at the Knights. If a top coach did become available and it makes sense for us moving forward we should be ruthless regardless and go for them.

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dogs Coaches Performance.JPG

Note that throughout the past 50 years, the following coaches were replaced after not making the finals series: Hagan, Clift, Ryan, Gould, Folkes, Moore & Hasler.

The following coaches were only given an extra year after not making the finals series: Glossip & Anderson.

Yet Pay remains the only coach in the last 50 years retained after not making the finals series for 2 consecutive years.

Last edited:

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
My concerns are about being able to attract the players we need and if Pay can do that? My other concern is that I don't think Pay can coach attack.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Flanagan will not get his NRL coaching licence back until 2022 at the earliest. Maybe not even then as it’s an NRL decision. Coaching any NRL team in 2021 is not an option.

Go Dogs

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dean Pay is not ruthless enough to have a team firing. He seems to want to be everybody's friend plus mind boggling team selections

he's probly a nice guy and all but not fit for head coach

#AfterPay