Pay accepts fate could be decided at board meeting

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I see it as a rock and a hard place situation with us, if we had a decent roster, we could maybe get away with having a half-decent coach. But we have a shit roster with a shit coach who can't attract decent players.

Basically I don't want another write-offs year next year.

But obviously easier said than done...
We’ve fallen so far into mediocrity that people can’t see a way out, that is what’s happening with Bradyk

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We’ve fallen so far into mediocrity that people can’t see a way out, that is what’s happening with Bradyk
I see being able to spend another 2-3 million on top players as a way out. At least to make the top eight. I don't see us being a premiership threat until ~2024 (assuming we get a lot of things right). I think we're going to have a few more years of deluded fans unfortunately.

Reactions: DT

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm a realist. That means I set realistic expectations. I understand how and why we're in this situation. It isn't because of the coach or players. It's because of our past management why we're rebuilding and why we have one of the worst rosters in the NRL on paper and a rebuild coach as our coach. We're overachieved to date. We've picked up multiple wins over teams we shouldn't of beat. We've finished higher on the ladder than expected. I'll always compare our situation to the Knights pre 2017 and our 2021 is their 2017 but we have a better base to work with and more salary cap space to spend in the first year. I'm happy to give this coach another year with a competitive roster on paper if a top coach isn't available as I have literally no reason to think otherwise. Next year if we recruit well (even if we don't) expectations will be higher.

I'm not happy but it's reality to answer your question. If we're expected to finish 15th and finished 14th that's higher than expected. The eye test is also important but we're definitely passing it right now.
If you're realistic then you'll realise that Pay is clearly on thin ice at the club and he'll be lucky to see the season out. If they were going to keep Pay on, they would have extended him already.

They clearly didn't have faith in him long term which is why he only got an one year extension last year. And even then, he was lucky to get that..

Starting the season 1-5 on the bottom of the ladder isn't exactly going to help a coach fighting for his job to prove himself worthy of an extension. A realistic person would be able to understand this.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
If you're realistic then you'll realise that Pay is clearly on thin ice at the club and he'll be lucky to see the season out. If they were going to keep Pay on, they would have extended him already.

They clearly didn't have faith in him long term which is why he only got an one year extension last year. And even then, he was lucky to get that..

Starting the season 1-5 on the bottom of the ladder isn't exactly going to help a coach fighting for his job to prove himself worthy of an extension. A realistic person would be able to understand this.
We weren't expected to win any of those games. We beat the Dragons. Both of our last losses are because of six agains, penalties and errors. I can't blame the coach for that, sorry. Unless we're perfect in those areas with the roster we have we're not giving ourselves a chance. We definitely could of won the game tonight (again, we weren't favourites). I was happy with the teams performance overall. You don't have realistic expectations therefore you don't think it's logical. I think it's crazy for Pay to be sacked without a top coach lined up. I think nothing will change (positively) sideways swapping coaches. I'm pretty sure the board will come to the same conclusion, especially while the players are playing for Pay. There is also no other coach and team in the NRL with the restrictions we currently have (literally no other coach has an excuse to lose to us). Also all on-air talent agrees with me (you're just a pleb) so there's nothing you can say to change my mind.

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We weren't expected to win any of those games. We beat the Dragons. Both of our last losses are because of six agains, penalties and errors. I can't blame the coach for that, sorry. Unless we're perfect in those areas with the roster we have we're not giving ourselves a chance. We definitely could of won the game tonight (again, we weren't favourites). I was happy with the teams performance overall. You don't have realistic expectations therefore you don't think it's logical. I think it's crazy for Pay to be sacked without a top coach lined up.
Who says I don't have realistic expectations? I didn't expect us to win and we lost. With Pay as coach, my expectations will always be low because he's not a FG calibre coach.

But if you want to keep believing he's over achieved with a 1-5 record, then be my guest.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Who says I don't have realistic expectations? I didn't expect us to win and we lost. With Pay as coach, my expectations will always be low because he's not a FG calibre coach.

But if you want to keep believing he's over achieved with a 1-5 record, then be my guest.
Technically he’s right Ben. We weren’t expected to win any of them. The market had us as outsiders on all occasions.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Technically he’s right Ben. We weren’t expected to win any of them. The market had us as outsiders on all occasions.
Bro shooosh, you were popping the champagne when we beat dragons, you dont have any credibility

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Bro shooosh, you were popping the champagne when we beat dragons, you dont have any credibility
A game we were supposed to lose 1-12, yet we won 13+.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Absolutely mate. Gotta celebrate a win, especially when you’re not expected to win.

You’ve got zero credibility until you follow through with those protests that you promised to lead outside Dogs HQ. Stop whingeing and crying and throwing tantrums online and get out there and deliver some action.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Dragons beat sharks last week and put 30 points on them, whats our excuse then
You know all the "excuses". Do I really have to list all of them again? I think it's better for everyone if you just read through my postings over the last 12 months or so (surely your memory isn't that shot).

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You can't argue any point I've made. You can give your opinion in one word or type "lol" but that's about it.
You do have really low expectations....If we were supporting the Tigers I’d get it.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
You can't argue any point I've made. You can give your opinion in one word or type "lol" but that's about it.
Lol we have the last 3 years as evidence and you're too blind to see it, what is there left to argue. You have no leg to stand one when it comes to Pay. Just excuses
You do have awesome points on other topics that i even give u likes for, but when it comes to Pay, you are delusional. You're an optimist btw not a realist.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fundamentally everybody is right. Pay was signed by the old board & he screwed up bringing in personnel like Antonelli, Hamilton & Levinsky all from his Canberra days.
That said, the CEO, the Board & even the Football Manager have performed diabolically on the of support & dialogue with Pay.
Pay isn’t necessarily the problem, it’s the decision makers you should be more critical of.,,

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There’s plenty of blame to go around
My point getting rid of Pay doesn’t fix the problem. Complete overhaul of the Football Department is mandatory right now.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The roster is deadest ordinary - but I cant see where any players have improved under Pay, I do not understand the logic n reasoning most of the signings of the last two years, selections and playing positions confuse me and his performances at press conferences etc do not instill confidence.
The club doesnt have to sack him - contract just ends.

shaun5150

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Once again blaming the recruits. FFS. A similar team to had Canberra beaten at Belmore only to just lose in the last few minutes by a fresh body coming off the bench for 10 minutes. That team went on to about 12th after a few more wins late in the season.
Last year we beat finals bound teams through tough grit to get to an ass hair short of finals. Again I ask why can't they play like that every week.
STOP BLAMING THE PLAYERS WHEN THEY CAN PLAY AND HAVE SHOWN SO SEVERAL TIMES.
THE CLUB HAS NO LEADERSHIP AT BOARD LEVEL OF WITHIN THE COACHING RANKS. f**KING SIMPLE