Paul Vaughan

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Us fans should flood gus twitter with wanting to keep Paul next year. He's going to be a huge loss surely he would love to stay. We've seen players backflip on contracts in the past.

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Stay Vaughany i will personally cook you all a bbq each week.

Wire Dog

Waterboy
Reaction score
UK based Warrington RL fan here....I've been following Doggies results and reading this forum for a while now and it's massively encouraging to see how much you rate Vaughan, really looking forward to see him running out for us next season.

We've also got Dufty playing for us and he played his first one yesterday - by all accounts he looked good but did seem to pick up an injury so fingers crossed he's okay. We're currently 3rd from bottom in SL and relegation is a thing over here so all us Wire fans are getting a bit twitchy and calling for the coach's head.

Great result for you guys yesterday, I love watching NRL on Sky over here, but they only show 2 or 3 games a week so don't often get to see the Doggies, but JAC is an absolute star....a 100% entertainer, love him.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
UK based Warrington RL fan here....I've been following Doggies results and reading this forum for a while now and it's massively encouraging to see how much you rate Vaughan, really looking forward to see him running out for us next season.

We've also got Dufty playing for us and he played his first one yesterday - by all accounts he looked good but did seem to pick up an injury so fingers crossed he's okay. We're currently 3rd from bottom in SL and relegation is a thing over here so all us Wire fans are getting a bit twitchy and calling for the coach's head.

Great result for you guys yesterday, I love watching NRL on Sky over here, but they only show 2 or 3 games a week so don't often get to see the Doggies, but JAC is an absolute star....a 100% entertainer, love him.
Welcome Wire Dog,

Both Dufty and Vaughan will be excellent buys for your club. Both were signed by the Bulldogs for only this season as we were and still are to extent in a rebuilding phase and gave both a lifeline from St George where they both had a falling out with that club.

It seemed Dufty wasn't liked at the Dragons and he wasn't happy either, no other club in the NRL needed or wanted him bar the Bulldogs as we'd lost Meany to the Melbourne Storm. He is very good on his day and has been playing well in the reserves before departing for the UK.

As for Vaughan he's been great for us and is a very good buy for Warrington as while the ESL is a strong competition the NRL is stronger. He had a falling out over Covid lockdown rules as did a lot of the Saints players and it was the clubs best chance to let him go as he was on big money there.

Both signed for us for this year only for 100K each. Hence why he's going elsewhere.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just make sure that all Dufty has to do is run with the ball and he will be good for you guys. Make sure he doesn’t ever have to make a tackle or catch a bomb and he may win the man of steel award, because defence was never a strong part of his game

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Welcome Wire. Watch for one thing with Dufty. He ALWAYS falls for the dummy.

Wire Dog

Waterboy
Reaction score
Just make sure that all Dufty has to do is run with the ball and he will be good for you guys. Make sure he doesn’t ever have to make a tackle or catch a bomb and he may win the man of steel award, because defence was never a strong part of his game
When we signed him everyone was excited for his speed/attack skills, rather than his defence I must admit. But seeing as how our last fullback could catch any bomb, no matter what, but then couldn't really do anything with it, it seems a fair trade off.

Unfortunately in the UK we've not got the talent base or infrastructure that you guys have, so we often have to make do with less than brilliant options!

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Great post buddy and welcome, I'd suggest you will love what Vaughan brings to your club he is a beauty and Dufty too is an attacking weapon who should have the Wolves scoring lots more points, with a caveat he may let a few in too :tearsofjoy:

You may have read a fair few of us are fairly disappointed Paul is leaving he has been a bull for us.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Welcome Wire Dog,

Both Dufty and Vaughan will be excellent buys for your club. Both were signed by the Bulldogs for only this season as we were and still are to extent in a rebuilding phase and gave both a lifeline from St George where they both had a falling out with that club.

It seemed Dufty wasn't liked at the Dragons and he wasn't happy either, no other club in the NRL needed or wanted him bar the Bulldogs as we'd lost Meany to the Melbourne Storm. He is very good on his day and has been playing well in the reserves before departing for the UK.

As for Vaughan he's been great for us and is a very good buy for Warrington as while the ESL is a strong competition the NRL is stronger. He had a falling out over Covid lockdown rules as did a lot of the Saints players and it was the clubs best chance to let him go as he was on big money there.

Both signed for us for this year only for 100K each. Hence why he's going elsewhere.
Spot on except no way they signed for 100k.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spot on except no way they signed for 100k.
I read it last year somewhere they were on the outer at the time as no one wanted Dufty, due to his attitude at training but they have just been a Dragon thing at the time as I believe he wasn't that well liked there.

Vaughan was on way to much money at Saints and no club was going to pay him that amount of money having had multiple indiscretions at the club and the Covid BBQ was the final straw in letting him go and free up some much needed money in the Saints salary cap.

He basically was without a club but the Dogs offered him a one year deal and it was better than nothing and just wanted to re establish himself at the Dogs who gave him the opportunity for this year only. Hence why they've both moved. Win win for everyone.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Welcome Wire Dog,

Reports were Vaughan signed for around the 400k mark.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reports were Vaughan signed for around the 400k mark.
Well if you can find those reports and prove that I’ll stand corrected but pretty sure at the time his career was in tatters after the Covid BBQ saga and ESL looked his best option at the time. After that saga simmered over time he was offered and accepted from what I’d previously read a one year offer to join the Bulldogs for 100K. He had nothing after his contract with Saints was torn up and said he was grateful for the opportunity to put everything behind him and prove his worth back in first grade with Bulldogs.

No club was going to offer him huge money after a number of transgressions at St George and the south coast BBQ saga.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

The Bulldogs swooped in and snatched up the former NSW and Kangaroos star on a one-year deal. According to NRL.com, that deal is worth just under half of his Dragons salary.

NRL.com understands Vaughan's 2022 lifeline is worth a little more than half the estimated $800,000 salary that was terminated by St George Illawarra

I haven't seen anything official to contradict that, but is it under or more?

Always a Bulldog

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If Paul Vaughan was still at the Bulldogs we probably make the top 8 this season.
If Jonathan Thurston had stayed at the Dogs, we probably get another 3-4 premierships since 2004...

Gee, this "what if" game is fun!

Problem with "we should have kept Vaughn" is, and was...

...he did not WANT to stay!

Such a useless hypothetical. Amazed it just will not die. Well, not so much, I guess.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
If Jonathan Thurston had stayed at the Dogs, we probably get another 3-4 premierships since 2004...

Gee, this "what if" game is fun!

Problem with "we should have kept Vaughn" is, and was...

...he did not WANT to stay!

Such a useless hypothetical. Amazed it just will not die. Well, not so much, I guess.
How on earth do you know that he didn't want to stay? I don't believe that for a second.