Official Paul Vaughan signs for the Bulldogs on a one year deal

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Vaughan braced for $400k haircut as Dogs move nears the finish line
Fair for Dogs to cop Vaughan suspension?

Fair for Dogs to cop Vaughan suspension? | 02:12
Staff Writers from Fox Sports
July 21st, 2021 1:59 pm

Axed Dragons star Paul Vaughan faces a big pay cut if he is going to seal a deal with Canterbury as he counts the cost of his expensive BBQ.

Vaughan was sacked by the Dragons with nearly 18 months left on his contract after he hosted a party with St George Illawarra teammates after their win over the Warriors.

Every player was handed a one-game ban by the NRL along with a fine relative to their salary.

Vaughan was slapped with an eight-game ban and a $50,000 before the Dragons ripped up his contract to leave him out of pocket by close to $1 million.

But one way he might recuperate some of his lost income with Fox League’s James Hooper telling NRL360 on Fox League he would have to sign a deal way below his previous Dragons salary.

I think the Bulldogs are looking at around the $300,000-$400,000 dollar mark so he’s going to have to take a 50 per cent hair cut on the money he was on but that’s the situation he’s put himself in” Hooper revealed.

“I tell you what, if they sign Vaughan. You look at their pack and you look at their backline for next year ... things are looking up for next season.”

The thought of signing Vaughan for 2022 would be appealing to many clubs, but The Daily Telegraph’s Paul Kent said it was uncertain if that ban would count for the rest of this season.

“Someone at the NRL needs to come in now – given the fact he’s been unregistered, he’s not playing – [and] they need to make a clarification.

“Because he was given the eight-week suspension before he was sacked by the Dragons. So that’s now a burden he carries into every negotiation with every club.

“Ironically there’s eight rounds left in the season when he’s got sacked so the NRL could say, you know what, that’s sufficient. I don’t think there’d be a blow-up if they did say that.

“They wouldn’t let anyone sign him for the finals series, that shouldn’t be allowed.

“But if they came out and say, the rest of the season is sufficient – because he has paid an enormous financial price for this.”

The Daily Telegraph’s Paul Crawley said the suspension was enough and Vaughan should be allowed to resume his career in Round 1 in 2022.

“He got an eight-game suspension, then the club sacked him,” he said.

“He was sacked for stupidity, arrogance, he broke the rules, but he paid a huge price. He didn’t take someone’s head off. He broke a bubble.

Crawley added: “You can’t execute his career over this.”

Last edited:

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If this is true and we pay 400 for Vaughan.
Management have hit a home run on this one.
You get a 144m 30 tackle player for sub 400k. Replacing a 90m 20 tackle player who’s on 650k

In my book that’s 50% better player for 40% cheaper.

Not really winning powerball jackpot. But a decent set for life 2nd division prize8-)

Last edited:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
You get a 144m 30 tackle player for sub 400k. Replacing a 90m 20 tackle player who’s on 650k

In my book that’s 50% better player for 40% cheaper.

Not really winning powerball jackpot. But a decent set for life 2nd division prize8-)
Good analogy mate :-).
I’m just not sure on Vaughan.
Good footy player and I guess that’s what we have to look at but culture wise it’s a worry.
Gus wouldn’t take any nonsense though.
Maybe the hefty penalty he’s paid for his stupidity (not just the BBQ) brings him crashing back down to earth.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Good analogy mate :-).
I’m just not sure on Vaughan.
Good footy player and I guess that’s what we have to look at but culture wise it’s a worry.
Gus wouldn’t take any nonsense though.
Maybe the hefty penalty he’s paid for his stupidity (not just the BBQ) brings him crashing back down to earth.
agree on all fronts there. Very good price if we can get him for that. Not sure if that would be his notional value under the cap tho?
another point, if the BBQ was at say Dufty's place, would we still think the same of Vaughn?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
agree on all fronts there. Very good price if we can get him for that. Not sure if that would be his notional value under the cap tho?
another point, if the BBQ was at say Dufty's place, would we still think the same of Vaughn?
Agree and I think they are the sticky points - suspension vs registration and value of registration for the rest of ‘21 let alone ‘22. Whilst it’s unlikely he would’ve commanded the same salary at the end of his previous Dragons contract that makes him no different to say Napa who is also facing a big haircut just to get a club. But the NRL won’t let anyone sign him for say 25% of his previous contract just because the opportunity is there. As for the BBQ venue, I think it was more the arrogance of ‘I’ll pay everyone’s fines’ and the fact 12 were there. Had he invited 3 or 4 it’s still breaking the rules but not so flagrantly.