Official Paul Vaughan off to ESL in 2023

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You see I just don't understand this philosophy. It was clear as daylight that Vaughan was making good metres anywhere on the field last year. We seem quite comfortable paying forwards big money when they are untested in our team so I don't know what the thinking was.

In my opinion letting him go when you are a club that needs to play finals before you can build your team, was a massive mistake.

Having let go of Wakeham, Ava, Doorey, Katoa, JMK etc I'm sure we could have made him a decent offer to stay.

Anyways, good on him
Yeh I agree. Fair enough his timeline didn’t match up with ours in terms of a build. But was easily the best prop we have had for a long long time (probably since graham). Luckily king has stepped up now. But we are still 2-3 good props away from competing.

Apparently there was behavioural issues too but I still think we are better with him then without him.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
What makes you say that? Other than the COVID bbq, I don’t remember him being involved in too many other major incidents
He was having confrontations with media whilst with the dogs. Basically refusing to answer journo questions, calling them grubs and telling them to piss off. Understandable from his view but not what we need as a club.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He was having confrontations with media whilst with the dogs. Basically refusing to answer journo questions, calling them grubs and telling them to piss off. Understandable from his view but not what we need as a club.
Lol. Gus does that nearly every week!

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Sign him up for life! Lol

Fuck answering their questions, they are grubs that need to piss off.

Angrypenguins

Waterboy
Reaction score
Vaughan said he wanted to play in England and with Dufty (god knows why but that’s what he wants). He may actually have a chance of winning a comp over there too

Shreksno1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vaughan said he wanted to play in England and with Dufty (god knows why but that’s what he wants). He may actually have a chance of winning a comp over there too
Maybe there’s more to life than footy mate

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We only signed Vaughn and Dufty for the one year as we were desperate and no one else wanted them. Dufty had a few good games but overall was a liability and had to go.

Vaughn was good for us in a very ordinary pack, he stood out, but we could never sign him on a longer term contract with what he and his manager were asking for & the only place he could get that was in the ESL. So I was happy for him and our club, as good as he was we were never going to win a comp with him. Yes he made good metres but he rarely broke the defence line and rarely passed the ball.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
We only signed Vaughn and Dufty for the one year as we were desperate and no one else wanted them. Dufty had a few good games but overall was a liability and had to go.

Vaughn was good for us in a very ordinary pack, he stood out, but we could never sign him on a longer term contract with what he and his manager were asking for & the only place he could get that was in the ESL. So I was happy for him and our club, as good as he was we were never going to win a comp with him. Yes he made good metres but he rarely broke the defence line and rarely passed the ball.
Vaughn wasn’t unwanted.
That’s a miscommunication.
A couple of teams wanted him, just not at 800k which he was on yo.
We battled 2/3 other clubs for him. Was a Barrett special. We got him for 400k before third party payments.
I don’t have insight on why it was only a 1 year gig. Might be because of England.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vaughan was good for us last year. Unsure as to why we didn’t keep him, would have come in handy this year for us.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vaughn wasn’t unwanted.
We battled 2/3 other clubs for him. Was a Barrett special. We got him for 400k before third party payments.
I don’t have insight on why it was only a 1 year gig. Might be because of England.
"Vaughn wasn't unwanted". Really?

So I take it those articles about
Vaughn wasn’t unwanted.

"Vaughn wasn't unwanted". "That's a miscommunication".......REALLY?

Can you name the other clubs chasing his signature at the time, after BBQ gate.

I take it all those reports about us throwing him a lifeline were just BS.

PressReader.com - Digital Newspaper & Magazine Subscriptions

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Would have been Player worth keeping.. depth in forward is important..

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
"Vaughn wasn't unwanted". Really?

So I take it those articles about

"Vaughn wasn't unwanted". "That's a miscommunication".......REALLY?

Can you name the other clubs chasing his signature at the time, after BBQ gate.

I take it all those reports about us throwing him a lifeline were just BS.

PressReader.com - Digital Newspaper & Magazine Subscriptions
Strange way you formatted that.
But yes a few clubs were looking at Vaughn

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Strange way you formatted that.
But yes a few clubs were looking at Vaughn
No there were not. We were the only club that sent him a lifeline as it benefitted both parties and you can't name "a few clubs" because there weren't any, no club would touch him with a barge pole at that time.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
No there were not. We were the only club that sent him a lifeline as it benefitted both parties and you can't name "a few clubs" because there weren't any, no club would touch him with a barge pole at that time.
So why did we pay him 400+?
If you’re right we could have picked him up for 150.

Look at the articles at the time. At one point, they was reporting that Vaughn had chosen another team over us.
I kept up with the Vaughn stuff back then

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So why did we pay him 400+?
If you’re right we could have picked him up for 150.

Look at the articles at the time. At one point, they was reporting that Vaughn had chosen another team over us.
I kept up with the Vaughn stuff back then
Well if you “Kept up with Vaughn stuff back then” and there were reports that Vaughn had chosen another team over us, it should be easy to name that team.

I followed it too and never heard anything of the sort. In fact after BBQ gate and his sacking from St. George no NRL wanted a bar of him, he was virtually an outcast and would’ve gone to the ESL earlier but for BBQ gate and not having anywhere to go we signed him on a ONE year deal.