Paul Osborne cleared of allegations of misconduct by the club's board

Status
Not open for further replies.

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...-the-clubs-board/story-fn2mcuj6-1226194989017

After being cleared of misconduct on Monday night, besieged Eels boss Paul Osborne is expected to announce his resignation on Tuesday.

It can also be revealed that former Cronulla boss Tony Zappia is firmly in line to be welcomed back to Parramatta's front office, although not as a direct replacement for Osborne. Osborne avoided the embarrassment of being sacked after the club board determined there were insufficient grounds to warrant his dismissal.

An inquiry into Osborne's role in negotiating staff, sponsorship and player contracts as well as his use of a company credit card found the Eels boss had no case to answer.

With his name cleared after a month-long investigation, Osborne said his greatest sense of relief was for his family - so it was only fitting that they be the subject of his celebrations.

"It's been an extremely difficult period for me and I'm pleased it's over," Osborne said.

"It's my daughter's seventh birthday, I'm just going to go home and enjoy her birthday and take it all in and have a peaceful night's sleep.

"The most impact has been on those close to me, that's probably been the thing that's caused me the greatest level of concern."

Eels football club deputy chairman Sid Kelly headed the inquiry, with his report which was handed down to the Parramatta board on Monday night finding "there were no probity issues arising with respect to staff, sponsorship and player contracts," according to a club statement.

Amongst the issues under investigation were the validity of third party arrangements and player contracts and claims he ran up $35,000 in unauthorised expenses on his club credit card in 2010.

Director Glenn Duncan, head of the club's major sponsor Pirtek, resigned over the issue last month.

Osborne admitted he could improve the way he conducted business.

"There's obviously ways I can improve - I want to have a good look at the report and make whatever improvements I need to make," Osborne said.

Osborne was also cleared of a complaint from a female staff member, with a ruling of "insufficient grounds" for any further action having being already upheld at last month's board meeting.

However, the drama and deep rift with Duncan has essentially made his ongoing tenure as CEO unworkable and it's understood Osborne had already vowed to leave before the meeting to allow the club to move ahead with its off-field preparations for 2012.

A club statement omitted any mention of Osborne's future and when asked whether he would stand down, the CEO said: "Not at this stage, no. I will take in the report, take a deep breath and get on with the job."

More than a dozen potential replacements have already made contact with Eels directors about the job, but current leagues club CEO Bob Bentley is favoured to take on both roles in the short term. Zappia, who cut his teeth as Eels football manager before enduring a turmoil-charged stint at Cronulla, would work under Bentley in a strict football capacity.

But there were even suggestions that former Parramatta player Michael Buettner may take over once Osborne moves on. While conscious that Zappia's appointment will attract criticism from the usual sources, Spagnolo's board believes the administrator has served appropriate penance after more than two years out of the game.

:roflol: Zappia to save the day!

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I think publically the eels are saying he is cleared but the truth is they told him to go quietly and say he quit

Status
Not open for further replies.