Paul Kent on rep weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
NRL suffering from overstacked schedule that puts club football at risk
  • Paul Kent
SOMETIME before 9am Monday, Brad Fittler, the City coach, got a tremendous headache when he realised he could not do the simplest of tasks like pick a football team.

Short of walking to the front door and tossing a jersey to the first desperate to walk past, which was only ever a brief consideration, Fittler needed more time to find a player among the 400 NRL players available who not only qualified for his City team but also wanted to play for them.

“Due to a large number of eligible players becoming unavailable for various reasons we are unable to name 17 players by the planned 9.30am announcement this morning,” said a NSW Rugby League announcement at 9.19am.

It took two-and-a-half more hours before the solutions came.

The moment has come to demand those in at headquarters finally figure the game’s direction — and deliver. All they seem to be doing is bumping into each other in the dark.

Fittler was left embarrassed by the game’s lack of foresight and intelligence. The game was embarrassed with him.

We have overstacked the football schedule with so many meaningful games the one non-negotiable — club football — has become almost meaningless. Some clubs decided to fight back and withdraw their players from consideration.

ARL Commission chairman John Grant called it “disappointing” that clubs had put their welfare ahead of the rep game but then, strangely, added: “It’s the last game for very good reasons which I’m happy to elaborate on.”

Can it really be that disappointing if it’s gone for a good reason? What are those reasons?

Grant argued the NRL had no ability to “force” players to play, without citing the whole reason the clubs withdrew their players was because the NRL crammed its schedule.

The whole farce lies on the NRL, a byproduct of the league’s inability to prioritise and think ahead. Which was one of its main selling points.

The absence of the City-Country game will be a disaster for the game that will be proven correct only many years from now when those responsible will have long distanced themselves from culpability.

The impact in the bush will be felt.

For too long the thinking within the NRL — and this does not rest on Grant, but others — has been if one is good then more is better.

One Origin became three. Five-team finals became eight. Interchange grew and grew and now we are trying to reel it back in.

We had a World Club Challenge to pit the reigning NRL premiers against the reigning Super League premiers to decide the world’s best club team.

We liked it so much we now have three teams from each competition playing to prove ... what exactly?

Spotting a vacant pre-season we dreamt up the Indigenous All-Star game. It was unique and special and came with a thousand good reasons to play. Just wonderful.

But it was so good we doubled down and whacked in the Nines. Not only that, we allowed the organisers to put in caveats that insisted clubs had to use a set amount of top players.

Then there’s the mid-season rep schedule. It began with City-Country, a stepping stone to NSW selection and then to Australian selection that began in 1911. It was a natural order.

But no.

Spotting an opportunity for cash we added the Australia-New Zealand Test the same weekend. Originally, it was sold as a stand-alone round, an opportunity to give the greater number of club players a rest.

But no.

The bigger opportunity was more cash disguised as fair play for the minnow nations. And so rep weekend was fashioned.

And so more than half the NRL players will be involved this weekend, meaning no rest at all.

And we have not even got to Origin yet.

Each year the Origin series cannibalises the club competition. It reduces club games to patched-up teams that are nothing more than a facsimile of what fans should be watching.

And in all the hyperbole nobody has ever bothered to measure the upside of Origin against the downside to clubs, who all suffer. They would be afraid of the answer, so speak no evil.

We have continued down this road of wretched greed until we hit bottom on Monday when selectors could not initially find enough players to fill a rep jersey that many young men were once proud to wear.

This is what the game has become, an administration displacing tradition for the shiny new toy and calling it evolution.

This new Commission and the administration it employs sold itself to us on the idea it was smarter than the previous administrations. That, they told us, is why we had to go with people who had no rugby league background. They were business savvy.

The evidence is to the contrary. Unaware of their core business, they try to be all things to all people. And end up being nothing to nobody.

Bravo.
Most sense this fucker has ever spoken.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
He is one of the best NRL journos out there, despite what many here think. He always makes very good and fair points on NRL 360.

I am not surprised he wrote this at all, and he is bang on.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He's spot on as usual ,I like him talks common sense without the emotion

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Good on yer Des, for telling these fuckers where they can shove their scheduling with the city v country match...expecting players to back up 4 days later.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Kenty was getting stuck into Mal big time on NRL 360 tonight. He is really pissed off about a lot of the selections Mal has made due to the fact they were made based on players form last year, which means some guys who deserve an Australian jumper this year based on form, are missing out.

Could not agree more. There are at least 5 guys better than Blake Fingerson, and 20 better than Trent Merrin.

I hope the Kiwis smash the Kangaroos.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Kenty was getting stuck into Mal big time on NRL 360 tonight. He is really pissed off about a lot of the selections Mal has made due to the fact they were made based on players form last year, which means some guys who deserve an Australian jumper this year based on form, are missing out.

Could not agree more. There are at least 5 guys better than Blake Fingerson, and 20 better than Trent Merrin.

I hope the Kiwis smash the Kangaroos.
If the Kiwis win the media will blame it on Klemmer cause his a dogs player.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
TBH, I would agree with Kent on the importance of CC, if Queensland actually had its own version. But it appears they get along fine without such a game, and nobody living outside Brisbane (or the south east) is complaining bout a lack of representation.

Even though I grew up in the bush and enjoyed city/country as a kid, I don't think its absence is going to hurt busy footy.

As far the overcrowding issue - yes, the World Club challenge has gotten silly, and the all stars game is meh... but in days of yore, players could play more than 40 matches i a year if their side went deep into the mid week or pre season cup and they played on a Kangaroo tour.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Des may have let them play if we didn't have Thursday night footy.

As a fan I like it, but it doesn't help the comp scheduling. The NRL and Ch9 shot themselves in the foot.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Rep round needs to go its obvious. Kenty still a fuckwit

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Utility half on rep weekend: zzzzzz.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
Used to hate Kenty but over time I've grown to respect his opinions. Gotta love his honesty and no bullshit approach when it comes to issues within the game.

Last edited:

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good article. He hit the nail on the head with "if one is good more is better". More $$$$.

For a number of years now I have been tired of origin - every year 3 games NSW vs QLD. You win or lose so what we play 3 more games again next year. Stopped going to games years ago and I no longer wake up in a bad mood the next day after a loss. If anything I would prefer less not more e.g. 1 game each year or 3 games every 2 years.

While there have been exceptions, with the expanded semi final series generally there have been teams there each year simply to make up the numbers. They have had no realistic chance of winning. I do acknowledge the competion itself is more even now but still teams can make the semis despite a large number of losses throughout the year.

I think Des' stance might equally be a club stance and a general continuation of the off season attempts by clubs to remove John Grant. Other comments or decisions by a number of clubs will probably continue to occur throughout the season.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good article. He hit the nail on the head with "if one is good more is better". More $$$$.

For a number of years now I have been tired of origin - every year 3 games NSW vs QLD. You win or lose so what we play 3 more games again next year. Stopped going to games years ago and I no longer wake up in a bad mood the next day after a loss. If anything I would prefer less not more e.g. 1 game each year or 3 games every 2 years.

While there have been exceptions, with the expanded semi final series generally there have been teams there each year simply to make up the numbers. They have had no realistic chance of winning. I do acknowledge the competion itself is more even now but still teams can make the semis despite a large number of losses throughout the year.

I think Des' stance might equally be a club stance and a general continuation of the off season attempts by clubs to remove John Grant. Other comments or decisions by a number of clubs will probably continue to occur throughout the season.
The finals are a joke, top half get in, need only win half your games, 8th often has negative for/against.

Tried and true 1v2 and 3v4, then winner 3v4 plays loser 1v2, then winner of that plays winner of 1v2 in GF.

If they want more games, get rid of the meaningless games and play a full home and away (30 rounds).

Play first 15 rounds, stop for three weeks for origin, then play next 15 rounds. 3 weeks of finals, done in 36 weeks.

If origin is reduced to one game, then stop for only one week (or two if extra prep wanted). All tests after GF.

No 9s, no all stars, no Anzac test. Make charity shield part of first round like it used to be. Make two rounds played in country areas (one home, one away for each team).

/rant

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
The finals are a joke, top half get in, need only win half your games, 8th often has negative for/against.

Tried and true 1v2 and 3v4, then winner 3v4 plays loser 1v2, then winner of that plays winner of 1v2 in GF.

If they want more games, get rid of the meaningless games and play a full home and away (30 rounds).

Play first 15 rounds, stop for three weeks for origin, then play next 15 rounds. 3 weeks of finals, done in 36 weeks.

If origin is reduced to one game, then stop for only one week (or two if extra prep wanted). All tests after GF.

No 9s, no all stars, no Anzac test. Make charity shield part of first round like it used to be. Make two rounds played in country areas (one home, one away for each team).

/rant
Rugby leagues is the biggest impact sport in the world. There is no way that you could play the game for 36 weeks straight and survive longer than a few years. One of the major reasons why they play the rep games in season is to give the players a break and chance to recover mid-season. To think that the best 34 players in the game could go at each other for 3 consecutive weeks and then still be able to back up for their club is illogical. The Broncos and Storm fade straight after origin now and they get a couple of games off during the period. The top 8 wasn't designed to give more teams a chance, it was designed to ensure there were more games in the broadcast deal over the finals period which generates revenue for the players. Sure there is an "underdog who beat the world" element to it but it still hasn't happened yet. To add the Tests on after that each year means the best players are going at it for an extra 2 months each year. They are already complaining there is too much and you propose an additional 8 games??

Status
Not open for further replies.