Paul Kent: Dean Pay walked out on the Bulldogs with his dignity

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dean Pay was not able to make big roster changes.. so its unfair if hes criticised completely as a coach..

Sure i didnt agree with selections or players we recruited last few years but I havent lost any respect for him.. infact its the opposite.. he gave it his best shot in very difficult circumstances..

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dean Pay was not able to make big roster changes.. so its unfair if hes criticised completely as a coach..

Sure i didnt agree with selections or players we recruited last few years but I havent lost any respect for him.. infact its the opposite.. he gave it his best shot in very difficult circumstances..
He shouldnt be a head coach but he was treated very poorly. Reflection of the shit management, this whole situation with CHN will make everything worse for the board.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Words of great wisdom from the scribe destined to win a "Walkey" award for outstanding journalism. Take note Trent, Paul Kent is doing you a favour, stay away from the Bulldogs.

Its better that they sign up a flake like that pommy Wane guy then to under appreciate your outstanding resume and coaching talent.
Whaddya reckon Baz - any contract offered to Barrett should come with a clause that allows each Bulldogs member to slap him across the face at least once?

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Paul Kent: Dean Pay walked out on the Bulldogs with his dignity

Paul Kent, The Daily Telegraph
July 15, 2020 8:34am

Dignity took a walk at the Bulldogs on Monday.

It started on Sunday when Bulldogs chief executive Andrew Hill called coach Dean Pay. It might have been the afternoon but, in times like this, when lives change, certain things become a bit fuzzy.

“I gave you my personal commitment I would never talk to anyone without calling you,” Hill said, and with that Hill began the conversation everyone knew was coming.

Managers, their noses twitching, had begun calling the Bulldogs about the coaching job even though Pay was fighting through this season with a hope for next season, but the pursuit from the managers meant the Bulldogs could no longer leave it alone.

They got Pay at a vulnerable time.

The talk had been around for weeks now and Pay was living through it each week with no end seemingly in sight and the club, battling, decided to let them in.

Already Trent Barrett is said to be days away from signing with the Bulldogs.

What Barrett is thinking is hard to see.

He resigned at Manly, a club with Jake and Tom Trbojevic, with Daly Cherry-Evans and Marty Tapau and Addin Fonua-Blake, saying the job was not what he signed on for after the club failed to deliver certain promises.

Yet he now shows interest in a club now famous for hollow promises and the inability to deliver.

Canterbury is currently a club where boardroom meetings are conducted at 30 paces and where the roster is threadbare. Kieran Foran, when he is healthy, and Josh Jackson, whenever he wants, were the only two players who could comfortably walk into the starting side of most opposition teams before Luke Thompson arrived last week.

Most would consider the full-strength Manly roster considerably healthier than the Bulldogs as Des Hasler, the coach who went the other way, is showing.

Yet Barrett is young and ambitious, which can be as dangerous as it is admirable.

Some might say Pay was young and ambitious when he took the Canterbury job on a platform to return some of the old Canterbury DNA lost since his own playing days at the club.

When Pay took over Canterbury was a club under salary cap pressure, brought about by a series of back-ended contracts that left the club nearly $1 million over the cap his first season in, with a new board and rookie administration to try to navigate a way out of it.

Major surgery was needed to make the Dogs cap compliable.

James Graham was released to St George Illawarra before Pay’s first season. Aaron Woods was released to Cronulla early, David Klemmer to Newcastle and Moses Mbye shuffled along as well.

Brett Morris and Josh Morris both approached Pay asking for a release. They were nearing the end of their careers and had had enough and, anyway, they wanted to spend their winter days vying for a title, not rebuilding a club.

All are internationals except for Moses, who played State of Origin last year out of Wests Tigers.

Pay watched the club move them on and got a death sentence in return, a victim of the club’s ongoing boardroom politics.

Battling for boardroom control, the backroom politics froze Pay from going to market and gave him no chance to coach his way out of the problems the boardroom factions created, which must come as a stark warning for Barrett.

Some will say Pay succeeded returning the old Bulldog fight to his club and that, in fact, it might be all the club still has.

Pay was never really given a chance.

He watched the club move on most of his best talent and replace them with lower grade kids on minimal contracts. The biggest signing was Dylan Napa, and only after the Roosters agreed to carry some of his contract on their cap.

He wanted to sign Josh Reynolds to bring experience to his halves this season.

Reynolds was identified as Exhibit A in the Dogs struggles this year, the Dogs said to have rejected a potential return even though he would have cost as little as $100,000.

Reynolds is on $875,000 at Wests Tigers and he was interested in returning to Canterbury for this season and next season.

The true figure was closer to $400,000 a season. A figure acceptable this season but not next season, when the Dogs want to open their war chest and go to market.

The chance to catch next season without the cap liability was the promise that kept Pay going, which ultimately the club reneged on.

So Sunday drifted into Monday and the outside interest intensified.

Pay was not sacked, just told he was still a chance to be coaching next season but that the club thought it fair they listen to outside interest.

Pay, who is no fool, saw through that.

I’m not your whipping boy, he thought, and, with that, dignity walked out of the Bulldogs.
Fuck they have carried on about this.
Yes the board is fucked... But
1. Dib and co signed him
2. Our current board have him a 12 month extension on top of the initial 24 and they wanted him to see that through until no longer contracted.
These media types want to bash people for not honouring contracts and not signing players because they don't know who the coach will be etc... Can't have it both ways and they deliver it as such a way to amplify their stories. At the end of the day I believe they want us to fail and the media was pressuring us to keep Dean in order to keep us down.

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Honestly the fact that Kent (and Weidler) think Pay was hard done by just gives me even more confidence it was the right decision.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
All these so called league experts harp on about the poor roster but fail to highlight Pays clear coaching deficiencies from selections to attack and defence not to mention two off field incidents on his watch (including Mad Monday where he was drinking with the players)

Good bloke

Shit coach

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul Kent has given the Bulldogs powerbrokers a reality check over their handling of the exit of Dean Pay labelling their tag as “the family club” a “fraud”.
The Daily Telegraph journalist was speaking on NRL360 when he made the point that Pay has been handed broken promises after broken promise by the Dogs board.

After three years of rebuilding the club, Pay and the Bulldogs parted ways on Tuesday.

But Kent said that the Dogs’ whole premise of being a “family club” while talking to other coaches and their managers was a hypocritical.

“All this talk about them being the family club is a fraud,” Kent said.

“I think that they brought him in under this notion that they were going to make him part of the family club and he’s got to regenerate their DNA and what happened is the board said to him that they’re getting all this interest from outside managers and coaches and that they thought it was only fair to see what was there.

“Pay, to his credit, said well if that’s what you’re thinking then clearly there’s not a place for me, I’m out.

“They’re an ordinary side who lost their best performer this year in Adam Elliott, I know Luke Thompson, came in and Kieran Foran is playing for them. But beyond that and perhaps Josh Jackson and Aiden Tolman aside, they’re a reserve grade side. There’s not much talent.”

Pay essentially walked before he was pushed. Kent admired the coach’s stance and said that his likely replacement, Trent Barrett, was walking into a whole host of problems.
“Pay, to his credit, said well if that’s what you’re thinking then clearly there’s not a place for me, I’m out.

“They’re an ordinary side who lost their best performer this year in Adam Elliott, I know Luke Thompson, came in and Kieran Foran is playing for them. But beyond that and perhaps Josh Jackson and Aiden Tolman aside, they’re a reserve grade side. There’s not much talent.”

Pay essentially walked before he was pushed. Kent admired the coach’s stance and said that his likely replacement, Trent Barrett, was walking into a whole host of problems.

“But he left a Manly team that had Trbojevic brothers, Daly Cherry-Evans, Addin Fonua-Blake, Marty Tapau, Dylan Walker and he’s going to this rabble where again they’re making promises where this new board and administration have so far been unable to deliver anyone beyond Dylan Napa, who came to them after the Roosters gradually eased him out, and in the past week Luke Thompson.”

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Media on a witch hunt to beat us up while we are down

Fk them

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul Kuunt...have a Bex and a lie down

your making a total fool of yourself with this dribble

Have you been taking your meds?

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We need an old Skool CEO that doesn't buckle and runs a club without the fear of what the NRL thinks is right and wrong. Steve Noyce Shane Richardson were good at that. Even though the latter was a prick, he was a prick because he was working for South's.

Hill is too nice and doesn't have a voice other than a reactive one.

He is a Massive failure. His head should roll as well.

Donkey Slayer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to admit nrl 360 **** drunko and boldy
What a bunch of nobody's getting there tv time

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If I was Georgallis my first task as a coach would be to put this quote up in lights for all the players.

If that isn’t enough to fire the f up I don’t what is.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Whaddya reckon Baz - any contract offered to Barrett should come with a clause that allows each Bulldogs member to slap him across the face at least once?
I think baz might unload a bit more than a few slaps somehow lol

GreenTurd

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn’t someone here say one of the Morris boys said Pay can’t coach?