Opinion Paul Alamoti

RobT

Mass debator
Reaction score
At this point in time I'm not fussed on us losing Averillo. I hope he goes to Melbourne if they lose Munster, I'd rather see the kid have a chance to develop and see if their really is a star player in there rather than waste away in our system.
Melbourne will be much more interested in signing Matt Burton if Munster leaves. Both off contract at the same time. He'd be a great replacement for them.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Averillo would struggle to find another club. We are the worst team currently and he is lucky to be in the team.

Agree though his development has been stalled if not killed by how we have used him.
His development has mostly been stalled by Covid and the lack of lower grades. We have several players with the same issue.

Always a Bulldog

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yet another aspect of building a strong club that needs fixing. However Alamoti having only played one flegg game n two nsw cup games looks a lot more ready for first grade than Averillo, topine, Schoupp, okunbor, deitz, bbo, wakeham and Patolo were when they debuted.
pretty much all of them bar Schoupp still arent ready for first grade

DaveV

Kennel Established
Reaction score
At this point in time I'm not fussed on us losing Averillo. I hope he goes to Melbourne if they lose Munster, I'd rather see the kid have a chance to develop and see if their really is a star player in there rather than waste away in our system.
I’m calling it early that he’ll never be a star regardless of who he plays for or coached by. You watch him on the field and generally he looks disinterested which I doubt is the case. It’s just his make up and obviously lacks the aggression, fortitude, belief and any form of cockiness whatsoever to even being a decent first grader let alone marquee status.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Off contract next year.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m calling it early that he’ll never be a star regardless of who he plays for or coached by. You watch him on the field and generally he looks disinterested which I doubt is the case. It’s just his make up and obviously lacks the aggression, fortitude, belief and any form of cockiness whatsoever to even being a decent first grader let alone marquee status.
Too early to tell. Next year is the critical year though....preseason attitude..new coach...injuries etc.
All this comes into calculation. However I totally understand your thinking based on present form.

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Needs to earn his spot, ability alone doesn’t translate to success in first grade. Needs to get match fitness up as well coming back from injury

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Too early to tell. Next year is the critical year though....preseason attitude..new coach...injuries etc.
All this comes into calculation. However I totally understand your thinking based on present form.
He is still young - this is first year against the big boys. He is not a Suaalii but IMO he will be top line first grader.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They're talking about Jake lol.
HAHA....Im just happy that Avo is getting an opportunity in a position that is suited to his skill set. He can develop into a great fullback IMO....Those years at 7 may have increased his ball playing on the edge. He just needs a break out game where he runs the length - been down on confidence with all the positional changes i reckon

Dyldog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
HAHA....Im just happy that Avo is getting an opportunity in a position that is suited to his skill set. He can develop into a great fullback IMO....Those years at 7 may have increased his ball playing on the edge. He just needs a break out game where he runs the length - been down on confidence with all the positional changes i reckon
Last week might of been his breakout game.. almost ran the length.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alomtti looks more of an edge backrower to me. Seems to lack that yard of pace and mobility to be an elite centre . The youngster in the lower grades that impresses me is young Rajab . Looks like a good halves prospect

stingray

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Alomtti looks more of an edge backrower to me. Seems to lack that yard of pace and mobility to be an elite centre . The youngster in the lower grades that impresses me is young Rajab . Looks like a good halves prospect
Fleggs not doing the best, how has rajab been performing in the side?

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The biggest thing with his stint in at HB was the knowledge gained from the workings of a NRL team. The direction, the strategy and learning from opposition halves up close would have been really good upskilling in order to read the game from the back.

Its funny because i said earlier this year that this would be Jake's break out year and thought i was looking like an absolutely dickhead but it looks like he is starting to develop into the player he should be... here's hoping!!

Also heard Potter say Steve Turner is helping with Avo closely, now Stevie is a former rep back but if we are going down that path surely the Club could hire a genuine ex superstar FB that could work close with him?

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I tend to agree - Rajab takes the line and has an excellent pass - Alamoti could be agood 13 as well. Alamoti only turned 18 this year - his issue at the moment is defence - not enough sticking in the tackle

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The biggest thing with his stint in at HB was the knowledge gained from the workings of a NRL team. The direction, the strategy and learning from opposition halves up close would have been really good upskilling in order to read the game from the back.

Its funny because i said earlier this year that this would be Jake's break out year and thought i was looking like an absolutely dickhead but it looks like he is starting to develop into the player he should be... here's hoping!!

Also heard Potter say Steve Turner is helping with Avo closely, now Stevie is a former rep back but if we are going down that path surely the Club could hire a genuine ex superstar FB that could work close with him?
You would think even Potter would offer more than Turner. But I agree with everything you said bro. Avo will have a few shakey moments and will need to improve his handling under the high ball, but he has all the skills to develop into a top line FB. He just needs to put in the hard work

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
You would think even Potter would offer more than Turner. But I agree with everything you said bro. Avo will have a few shakey moments and will need to improve his handling under the high ball, but he has all the skills to develop into a top line FB. He just needs to put in the hard work
I think he has the skills - to me it is about attitude n confidence around the phyicality of the game and intensity of involvement

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think he has the skills - to me it is about attitude n confidence around the phyicality of the game and intensity of involvement
I think his attitude is fine but confidence is the big thing. I reckon he just needs a few 100m plus games and some try involvements and he will develop quickly. I hated him at 7 but I think this time will help his ball playing on the edges