Paul Alamoti is a Right Centre and not a Left !

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't think we need to, seen him play on both edges already and it's like watching two different players. He's going to play a limited role on the left, run his lines, make his metres and pass the ball when it needs to be passed.
Different animal but the same beast

-Kobe

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could be playing in NRL right now if I payed league growing up. I chose to play the more skillful game.
And so rather than play the more skilful game professionally you spend your time banging away on the keyboard??

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
spot on i hate this argument, if you cant play both sides as you said you aren't first grade material
Most people are not ambidextrous and will always have an instinctive preference though.

I'd prefer an edge player with a strong understanding of their carry/step/fend but is limited to a career on one side of the field to a guy who can theoretically play both sides but ends up carrying inside arm and fending across themselves.

Last edited:

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Most people are not ambidextrous and will always have an instinctive preference though.

I'd prefer an edge player with a strong understanding of their carry/step/fend but is limited to a career on one side of the field to a guy who can theoretically play both sides but ends up carrying inside arm and fending across themselves.
to me it is a no brainer, if you run inside or outside shoulder you are using different hands to carry the football.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
to me it is a no brainer, if you run inside or outside shoulder you are using different hands to carry the football.
If the edge Defence have given away an inside shoulder then someone has fucked up

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
If the edge Defence have given away an inside shoulder then someone has fucked up
im looking as a attacking coach here. my point is we coach them, the ball carriers that is, to change the hand carrying the ball, depending on wether they are running inside or outside shoulder and obviously the palming hand changes.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
im looking as a attacking coach here. my point is we coach them, the ball carriers that is, to change the hand carrying the ball, depending on wether they are running inside or outside shoulder and obviously the palming hand changes.
I hear ya, and agree that players should be able to change hands in that instance but I draw a distinction between that and the idea that the average edge player should be able to play either side of the field and be just as effective with their carry/fend/step.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I hear ya, and agree that players should be able to change hands in that instance but I draw a distinction between that and the idea that an edge player should be able to play either side of the field and be just as effective with their carry/fend/step.
yeh they always favour one side i understand that, junior coaches should never pigeon players on one edge not good for the development

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
MUCH easier said than done .... it is instinctual for those that can.

Very difficult for most in the heat of the battle.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with others that Alamoti is way more comfortable on the right .... everything looks a bit awkward on the left.

However, having him defend between Kicks and Fox can only be a good thing, also Jake prefers the right as well.

One thing i would like to see from Paul, is for him try to run between defenders rather than over the top of them when doing simple hit- ups. He was getting belted last week, and it was something i noticed last year in reggies as well.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Today Alamoti arrived, he is NRL level quality, and he is fine at left centre. He's shown some quality in the first two rounds, but today he went to another level. 191 run metres, two try assists. I can't remember the last time I saw someone turn a kick defusal 5 metres out into a 95m try assist. No tries leaked down our left edge. He plays for the team, and is clearly getting more and more comfortable with his role each week.

TroopSalute

Kennel Participant
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Today Alamoti arrived, he is NRL level quality, and he is fine at left centre. He's shown some quality in the first two rounds, but today he went to another level. 191 run metres, two try assists. I can't remember the last time I saw someone turn a kick defusal 5 metres out into a 95m try assist. No tries leaked down our left edge. He plays for the team, and is clearly getting more and more comfortable with his role each week.
Spot on ... only game 3 young and 19 ... look forward to seeing his growth only getting better and better.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m so impressed with young Paul. He has really stunned me with how well he’s performed so far.

Before the season started, I thought he was a strong ball runner with a good flick pass. Even in the full games I’ve watched him play in reserve grade, he wasn’t very impressive, but I knew he had those qualities. Well, he has way more than that to his game. The numbers he has put up for a rookie are ridiculous. He’s not just doing the odd good thing, he’s working very hard and doing all the little things right. The way he played that line break yesterday when so many young players, even some with many games under their belt would panic, was so good to see. This kid has it all and is putting up better stats than his much more experienced centre partner.

To be playing such a well-rounded and effective game after 3 matches is honestly incredible. Edit: Also, listening to him speak, you can tell he knows what it’s all about. No wonder Ciro has all the confidence in him.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m so impressed with young Paul. He has really stunned me with how well he’s performed so far.

Before the season started, I thought he was a strong ball runner with a good flick pass. Even in the full games I’ve watched him play in reserve grade, he wasn’t very impressive, but I knew he had those qualities. Well, he has way more than that to his game. The numbers he has put up for a rookie are ridiculous. He’s not just doing the odd good thing, he’s working very hard and doing all the little things right. The way he played that line break yesterday when so many young players, even some with many games under their belt would panic, was so good to see. This kid has it all and is putting up better stats than his much more experienced centre partner.

To be playing such a well-rounded and effective game after 3 matches is honestly incredible.
I think having him between the experience of JAC and Kiks is really helping him out. He may find himself on the right eventually, but what CC is doing with him is obviously working.