Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score

Patience pays off for Reimis Smith
https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2018/09/02/patience-pays-off-for-reimis-smith/

Tanisha Stanton Sun 2 Sep 2018, 06:01 AM
Unheralded Bulldogs winger Reimis Smith patiently waited for a shot to prove his worth as a regular first-grader.

When that opportunity was presented to him this season Smith was determined to make the most of it.

Toward the back end of the season the Bulldogs have played their best football, winning four of their past five games, three of which were against top eight teams.

Smith was a standout for the Bulldogs in their 38-0 thrashing of the Dragons last Sunday, punctuating his five-star display with the first hat-trick of his brief NRL career.

The 21-year-old made his first grade debut in round 12 of the 2016 season against Canberra and said his small taste of top-flight football provided strong incentive to become a full-time NRL player.

"I always knew I could play first grade and I knew if I got the chance again I'd strive," Smith said.

"In pre-season I had a goal of starting in first grade in round one but unfortunately I had a few injuries in the lead-up so I started in the ISP (Intrust Super Premiership). I gave myself a date halfway through the year that I wanted to get back into first grade so I worked towards that. My injuries definitely gave me motivation. As hard as it was being out, it made me even more hungry to want to get back. I gave it my all in ISP, hoping my time in the NRL would come again and eventually it did in round 15, so I took it with both hands and ran with it. I was determined to not to find myself back in ISP."

Smith has chalked up 10 appearances in first grade in 2018 and says his confidence has grown simply by simply believing more in himself.

"I wish the season didn't end this week," Smith said.

"Each week I've been building a lot of confidence which I think has been my biggest thing this year. You have to believe in yourself and back your ability especially in this competition. And that's what I did, kept backing myself to improve every week to make sure I stayed in first grade."

Smith, who has played one season of a two-year deal with the Bulldogs, believes his team's recent good form bodes well for the future.

"We got more wins at the back end of the season than the start. With so many young players coming through the future does look promising. Finishing off this season the way we have is going to give us a lot of confidence going into pre-season, in which we will hopefully have a big one and come round one we can see what we can do."

The Doggies host fourth-placed Cronulla on Sunday afternoon in their final game of the season.

The finals-bound Sharks are arguably the competition's form team but Smith believes the Bulldogs are more than capable of drawing the curtain on their season with a win.

"It's going to be a tough game but I'm looking forward to it. They're playing some good footy at the moment but so are we. And even though it's the last game and we're not in finals we are still determined to get the win and finish the season off on a good note."

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Potentially one of the best wingers in the game moving forward.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Weapon could end up as our gun centre

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He is going to be a sensation for us over the next few years +

Absolute CHAMPION...!!!!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Should have focused on training this week instead of talking to reporters...was utter garbage today lol
This game was always coming. He has had defensive issue and errors in his game for a while that he needs to improve on, they were always going to show up again at some point. Still young and plenty inexperienced so has plenty of time improve. Our style of play was always inviting this type of performance from him and others, we lose that high intensity that overwhelms the opposition and those high risk plays don't come off and everything falls to shit.

CeeEss

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yep he was horrible today but he will learn and be better for it next year.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Holland was shit today too.

With Frawley gone hopefully that sides defence fixes itself up.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Smith has surprised me with how well he has run the ball this year - today was the first time he has shown his lower grade defence form in first grade. As good ashe runs the ball his defence continues to be woeful.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Smith has surprised me with how well he has run the ball this year - today was the first time he has shown his lower grade defence form in first grade. As good ashe runs the ball his defence continues to be woeful.
I think the emotion of last week rubbed off on him today. Hopefully lesson learnt.

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think today was more Holland and he not communicating in defense. Smith kept getting drawn in because Holland couldn't stay on his man and they kept getting to the outside of him. Holland needs to move up and slide, rather than just slide across as he is a bit slow laterally compared to most attacking backs, and that showed today. I'm still happy with both their progression though. They will be better next year. Replacing the Morris boys is gona be our biggest problem next year. They are a massive loss and will leave a gaping hole on our left side.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Watch the game again closely and youll see his misses were because he didnt slide because he didnt trust holland because hollands tackling is heart in mouth stuff,once holland fixes his d watch remis slide

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
If Frawley wasn't a turnstile Holland would not have tried to cover for him all the time

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
It's the collateral effect.

Frawley can't be trusted in defence.
Holland comes in to cover Frawley.
Smith comes in to cover Holland.

Ball goes wide and hey presto an overlap OR Holmes injects himself as another player to create the overlap and it's a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.