Gilded
Reaction score
The two biggest shocks in this story are

1. How the fuck did griffin get the job in the 1st place

2. How the fuck did he survive so long

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
From the sounds of it this could EASILY end up a Hasler style situation (or worse) for the Panthers.

Griffin is claiming that Gould running to social media and the papers with comments that are blatantly incorrect in order to make himself seem like the good guy (and to justify Griffins sacking). Problem is as far as Griffin is concerned, Goulds comments are defamatory/slanderous in nature, and could potentially harm his chances of another coaching gig, and Griffin has stated he will "not take that lieing down" and "explore every potential option".

So Gould might be getting sued as well as the Panthers... on top of everything else.

If this all fucks up and Cleary is forced to remain at the Tigers, and Griffin sues Gould/Panthers, you can almost expect that Goulds position will become untenable and he'll be removed from the Panthers.

Fuck I'd love to see that happen.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was quite impressed with griffin and basically my conclusion after the interview is gould is a ****

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Gould is fucked.

No one is believing his shit any more.

Reading his twitter feed is great.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The reason Gus said, Hook lost the dressing room, is because it happened at the Broncos, but the Broncos NEVER released that info.

Broncos sacking dignified.

I do believe he lost the playing group, but Gus thought he would get Cleary without a fight so sacked Hook using he is old school etc.

Hook lost most of the Broncos playing group, but not ALL.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This is so true.

Colman’s Call: As a fluent speaker of Gould, here’s what Gus means

Mike Colman, The Courier-Mail
August 8, 2018 2:10pm

GUS Gould is a man of many words. It’s just a case of working out what those words mean.

Over the past few days Gus has done plenty of talking. Some of it in private, like when he told Anthony Griffin that he was sacked. Some of it in public, like when he told the media … well, what exactly was it that he told the media?

As an interested observer of the redoubtable Mr Gould for many years — he is after all, one of the most interesting, insightful and infuriating characters in the world of rugby league — I have become fluent in Gus-speak and am therefore able to translate his recent media conference for those unfamiliar with the language.

For instance, when Gus said that Griffin was “a little old school”, wanting to be “more hands-on” and “to control everything”, what he meant was, “He wouldn’t let me run things.”

When he spoke of a review in which “the general feeling amongst the players is that Anthony didn’t have much support”, this meant: “We asked Nathan Cleary and he said he’d rather have his dad.”

His statement: “With a young group we wanted to develop further we needed a change of philosophy going forward” translates as: “Our only hope of keeping Nathan was to get Ivan.”

His answer to the question, “any chance you’ll look at Cameron Ciraldo long term?” was “well, we haven’t made a decision on who is going to coach the side next year.”

This is Gus-speak for: “Are you out of your mind?”

When he said, “we have a preferred choice at this stage but that doesn’t mean that’s who we’ll end up with” what he meant was, “The Tigers can play hard ball all they like, but whatever it costs, we’re getting Cleary.”

And his words, “I’m not too worried about winning a premiership, it’s about developing a roster that is home grown and has come to us at an early age and wants to stay with the club for a long time,” translate as “forget one premiership. If we can lock in Nathan Cleary we’ll win five.”

Then there was his heartfelt apology to Manly supporters over speculation that Trent Barrett and John Cartwright would be coming to Penrith.

“Trent Barrett and John Cartwright have signed new contracts with the Manly club. I didn’t want supporters of that club to think I was trying to pinch their coach.”

The literal translation of this is: “Who’s got time to try to pinch Manly’s coach when we’re so busy trying to pinch the Tigers’ coach?”

But perhaps Gus left the best to last. Asked whether he could work with Wayne Bennett he answered, “Wayne Bennett? That would be fun wouldn’t it? Could he work with me? Crikey.”

Which is Gus-speak for: “It probably won’t happen, but kick it around. Anything to upset the Broncos would be fun wouldn’t it?”

Note: for those interested in learning more, Penrith TAFE is planning a four-year full-time ‘Gus-speak As A Second Language’ course beginning next year.

Paywall:

https://myaccount.news.com.au/sites...767935ce19be6cf7f4611cefb32&memtype=anonymous

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't think Griffin has been wronged or has cause for complaint.
He got a 4 year deal @ $800,000 a year and is getting paid every cent of his entitlement.
I can understand that he feels let down and disappointed about the timing given his team are in the finals this year but the decision of the club was obviously that someone else will get a better result out of their squad.
Anyone of us can have the rugged pulled from under them at any time with respect to their job, Rugby League coaches even more so.

Yes, of course Gus is out there lying his arse off, that is what Gus does.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Kaz that's a brilliantly funny read.

The more this rolls on the more exposed Gould is getting.

Panthers may well have to pull the trigger on him regardless if the storm brews any larger, and surely if he costs them financially with his actions, he's outta there.

Imagine if:
  • Nathan stays at Panthers.
  • Ivan stays at Tigers.
  • Goulds actions scare off other options in McGuire, etc etc.
  • Goulds actions result in Hasler as the only option.
  • Goulds actions cost the club players due to coache clauses and team instability.
  • Goulds actions get him sued by Griffin.
  • Griffin becomes Tigers Asst coach.
  • Gould gets sacked from Panthers.
  • Gould gets sacked by Ch9.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
I don't think Griffin has been wronged or has cause for complaint.
He got a 4 year deal @ $800,000 a year and is getting paid every cent of his entitlement.
I can understand that he feels let down and disappointed about the timing given his team are in the finals this year but the decision of the club was obviously that someone else will get a better result out of their squad.
Anyone of us can have the rugged pulled from under them at any time with respect to their job, Rugby League coaches even more so.

Yes, of course Gus is out there lying his arse off, that is what Gus does.
To be fair i dare say most administrations at clubs do, how many times were we told that we wouldn't be paying for players to play at other clubs? In the end, if the panthers win a comp within the next couple of yrs I don't think many of the fans will be complaining to hard that they ousted Griffin. That been said I believe this will be most likely Gus' last chance.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Has Gus forgotten the reason he sacked Ivan in the first place, he said Ivan needed a rest.

Ivan hasn't had a rest yet.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Hang on a sec.... Does this not make Gould look like an even bigger lieing sack of shit now??

Sounds like Gould throwing O'Neill under the bus.

What do we all reckon? Gould talking BS?

@Tacky some good news perhaps.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...y/news-story/d29867bf2cee3c7d615425b66376ad6a

BEFORE the rugby league world went into meltdown over Anthony Griffin’s explosive revelations on NRL 360 on Wednesday night, Panthers general manager Phil Gould had his say on the developing coaching saga.

In an attempt to clear the air after days of speculation and comment following Griffin’s axing as Panthers head coach, Gould took to his podcast Six Tackles with Gus to set the record straight over the club’s attempt to poach Ivan Cleary from the Wests Tigers.

As the man who sacked Cleary and replaced him with Griffin in 2015, Gould said he has had no part in the conversation to attract the Wests Tigers coach back to Penrith — that responsibility lies with chairman David O’Neill.

Amazingly, Gould said he does not expect Cleary to seek a release from the Wests Tigers from the final two years of his contract given the club’s insistence they would not grant him one anyway.

“Ivan has not asked for a release at the Wests Tigers, I could never see Wests Tigers releasing him from that deal, and to be honest I don’t think Ivan would pursue if the Tigers felt that way.”

He was then asked if he could see Cleary coaching at the Panthers in 2019.

“No, but the original conversation was not about next year it was about the future,” he said, explaining the original conversation between O’Neill and Cleary was innocent, rather than a deliberate play.

Gould said he had no part in the conversation — that it was mentioned innocently to Cleary by O’Neill in passing, and the conversation grew from there.

O’Neill then told Gould about the conversation, who said it would become a ‘media storm’ once Cleary informed the Wests Tigers about the meeting, which led to Griffin’s sacking.

“I said: ‘That’s not fair to Anthony Griffin, he can’t coach [under those circumstances] that’s going to create a media storm straight away. We need to tell him exactly what is going on’.”

He also rubbished any suggestion that he has been involved in trying to lure Cleary back to the Panthers.

“If he was planning to come to the Panthers in years to come, he didn’t want to hide that from the Wests Tigers. I don’t know at what point it became about 2019 and I know if it has become about 2019. I don’t expect Ivan at the Panthers in 2019. The Wests Tigers are quite right to say no because he has a contract. I would normally not end the services of a coach unless I had a plan in place, and I have no plan in place to replace Anthony Griffin.”

Tigers chair Marina Go appeared on League Life last night, saying it was not ethical for the Panthers to approach Cleary, and said the club would fight to hold their coach to his contract.

Gould also denied the move to poach Cleary has anything to do with retaining star halfback Nathan Cleary, son of the coach, who comes off contract at the end of 2019 and has a desire to play for his dad.

“It’s got nothing to do with it. The whole Nathan thing is unfortunate. Nathan has been in our program since he was 14. When Ivan first came to the club Nathan was sitting up the back of our halfback academy as a 14 year old kid. He loves the club.”

Tacky

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hang on a sec.... Does this not make Gould look like an even bigger lieing sack of shit now??

Sounds like Gould throwing O'Neill under the bus.

What do we all reckon? Gould talking BS?

@Tacky some good news perhaps.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...y/news-story/d29867bf2cee3c7d615425b66376ad6a

BEFORE the rugby league world went into meltdown over Anthony Griffin’s explosive revelations on NRL 360 on Wednesday night, Panthers general manager Phil Gould had his say on the developing coaching saga.

In an attempt to clear the air after days of speculation and comment following Griffin’s axing as Panthers head coach, Gould took to his podcast Six Tackles with Gus to set the record straight over the club’s attempt to poach Ivan Cleary from the Wests Tigers.

As the man who sacked Cleary and replaced him with Griffin in 2015, Gould said he has had no part in the conversation to attract the Wests Tigers coach back to Penrith — that responsibility lies with chairman David O’Neill.

Amazingly, Gould said he does not expect Cleary to seek a release from the Wests Tigers from the final two years of his contract given the club’s insistence they would not grant him one anyway.

“Ivan has not asked for a release at the Wests Tigers, I could never see Wests Tigers releasing him from that deal, and to be honest I don’t think Ivan would pursue if the Tigers felt that way.”

He was then asked if he could see Cleary coaching at the Panthers in 2019.

“No, but the original conversation was not about next year it was about the future,” he said, explaining the original conversation between O’Neill and Cleary was innocent, rather than a deliberate play.

Gould said he had no part in the conversation — that it was mentioned innocently to Cleary by O’Neill in passing, and the conversation grew from there.

O’Neill then told Gould about the conversation, who said it would become a ‘media storm’ once Cleary informed the Wests Tigers about the meeting, which led to Griffin’s sacking.

“I said: ‘That’s not fair to Anthony Griffin, he can’t coach [under those circumstances] that’s going to create a media storm straight away. We need to tell him exactly what is going on’.”

He also rubbished any suggestion that he has been involved in trying to lure Cleary back to the Panthers.

“If he was planning to come to the Panthers in years to come, he didn’t want to hide that from the Wests Tigers. I don’t know at what point it became about 2019 and I know if it has become about 2019. I don’t expect Ivan at the Panthers in 2019. The Wests Tigers are quite right to say no because he has a contract. I would normally not end the services of a coach unless I had a plan in place, and I have no plan in place to replace Anthony Griffin.”

Tigers chair Marina Go appeared on League Life last night, saying it was not ethical for the Panthers to approach Cleary, and said the club would fight to hold their coach to his contract.

Gould also denied the move to poach Cleary has anything to do with retaining star halfback Nathan Cleary, son of the coach, who comes off contract at the end of 2019 and has a desire to play for his dad.

“It’s got nothing to do with it. The whole Nathan thing is unfortunate. Nathan has been in our program since he was 14. When Ivan first came to the club Nathan was sitting up the back of our halfback academy as a 14 year old kid. He loves the club.”

Wait, I thought he sacked Griffin cos he lost the dressing room. Sounds like he is trying to change the narrative to me.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Can I just throw this out there...

Imagine the offspring if Phil Gould and Raelene Castle had a child....

:|:|:|:|:|

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
only just saw the Griffin interview on Fox, he handled himself very well.
He clearly knows how to set up structures to bring juniors through.
Get him in as an assistant even if we have to pay overs.
will suit what we are tryimg to do
A more experienced head with a rookie coach
He may be able to bring a few talented juniors with him?
Come on Andos show some ambition and make it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.