Panthers sack coach Anthony Griffin effective immediately

Status
Not open for further replies.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Panthers part ways with coach Griffin four weeks out from finals
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/06...h-anthony-griffin-four-weeks-out-from-finals/
Michael Chammas Chief Reporter
Mon 6 Aug 2018, 04:04 PM

The Penrith Panthers are expected to part ways with coach Anthony Griffin just four weeks out from the finals.

The Panthers notified Griffin on Monday afternoon that his services would not be required beyond the end of this season despite being contracted until the end of 2020.

NRL.com understands there is a possibility Griffin could walk as early as this week, leaving assistant coach Cameron Ciraldo as the caretaker for the rest of the season.

It's understood Penrith have made the decision to part ways with Griffin because of a belief he is unable to take the club to a premiership.

The Panthers have won their past two matches, coming from behind to topple Manly and Canberra over the past fortnight.

However, it has done little to disguise the issues that have been brewing over the past couple of months at the club, with the board stepping in on Monday to bring it to a head.

Ciraldo is understood to be close to star Panthers halfback Nathan Cleary and could play a leading role in helping to keep him at the club beyond 2019.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Not surprised.

He lost the playing group at the Panthers ages ago.

He lost the playing group at the Broncos.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
What rabble the Panfers are. They are 4 weeks from the finals.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Phil Gould doing cunty things.

So the coach just gets the side to a confirmed finals spot this weekend, and you sack him.

I wonder if Ivan Cleary heads back there (despite them sacking him for the team underperforming)... there was an article a few weeks ago about Gould speaking to Nathan about his future and that if he wanted to go he just needed to say the word.

I mean would they try and get Ivan back (and would he head back) if it was guaranteed their playing / coaching future together?

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I can see Ivan Cleary going back.
Gould needs a junior coach there so he can pull the strings.

I wouldn't go back if I was Clearly, the way he was used as a scapegoat and the excuses Gould used were terrible and damaged Cleary's credibility.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol des is now asking for a job.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Phil Gould doing cunty things.

So the coach just gets the side to a confirmed finals spot this weekend, and you sack him.

I wonder if Ivan Cleary heads back there (despite them sacking him for the team underperforming)... there was an article a few weeks ago about Gould speaking to Nathan about his future and that if he wanted to go he just needed to say the word.

I mean would they try and get Ivan back (and would he head back) if it was guaranteed their playing / coaching future together?
Griffin is a shit coach and deserved to be sacked. I can't believe it took Gus this long to do it.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
I pity any Penrith coach while Gould is there.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I can see Ivan Cleary going back.
I don't think clearly is that stupid.

He's already been sacked by moonface once, despite having a successful spell there. Think he'll stay at the Tigpies

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Ciraldo was always going to be Panthers next coach... Him and Gould are close as fuck.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Griffin was bad at Brisbane so I don't know how he lasted this long but it's insane that Gould fired Cleary for no reason and hired a worse coach and then fires that coach four weeks out from the finals!

Why didn't he do this before the season or earlier in the season so the new coach could actually put his imprint on the team?

Gus has done a great job developing and keeping talent as well as making some astute signings but he can't hire or fire coaches for shit!

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Gus wants to win the comp NOW

He should hire Hasler for 6 months so he can't do any damage in terms of recruitment. Des will have an impact like he did with us in 2012.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Cameron Ciraldo is caretaker coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.