News Panthers land stunning $200m stadium upgrade from government

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Panthers land stunning $200m stadium upgrade from government

Penrith Panthers Stadium. Supplied
Penrith Panthers Stadium

Staff Writers from News.com.au
Penrith has pulled off a $200m stadium coup, according to reports.

The NRL club’s spiritual home ground in Sydney’s west is set to be transformed under the NSW government’s $850 million spending spree.
It was first reported Thursday night construction on a new stadium is scheduled to begin in December, 2022.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported the Panthers would likely be forced to find a new home ground for two seasons before walking into their new home ground for the start of the 2025 NRL season.

The report indicates the project will cost the taxpayer at least $200 million and costs could blow out to as much as $300 million.

The Panthers and Bulldogs in action at Panthers Stadium last month.
The Panthers and Bulldogs in action at Panthers Stadium last month.Source: Getty Images

It is the first major announcement to be made after the NSW government last year backflipped on plans to demolish Stadium Australia at Sydney Olympic Park.

The $850 million is instead being turned towards boutique stadiums across Sydney, with Brookvale Oval and the Dragons’ home stadium at Kogarah among the sites competing for a slice of the pie.

New South Wales Deputy Premier John Barilaro at the time said the success of Bankwest Stadium in Parramatta showed why the government changed its position.

“The government has an appetite for the ground renewal program that the NRL has put forward,” Barilaro said.

“I think we’re going back to basics, back to the past where that tribalism is actually what the competition needs in a way. We’re seeing upgrades at Brookvale, you’ve got the Parramatta stadium. If we’ve got an opportunity to do three or four or five more Bankwests, well that’s got to be great for the game long term, great for the community and great for that competition.”

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's good for the game, now sort out a stadium in the shape of a Bulldog.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
does it make sense to spend that sort of money on a stadium with only one tenant?

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
This makes sense but Brookvale is a waste. No one goes there

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
does it make sense to spend that sort of money on a stadium with only one tenant?
No way, if anything its favouritism. I wonder if they'd upgrade Penrith stadium if they were coming 15th instead of 1st?

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No way, if anything its favouritism. I wonder if they'd upgrade Penrith stadium if they were coming 15th instead of 1st?
for me, a MLS/Bankwest type stadium in Liverpool where you can convince Macarthur FC, the Wests Tigers and/or the 'Dogs to play their home games from makes a lot more sense

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
That's good for the game, now sort out a stadium in the shape of a Bulldog.
PVL hinted on 2GB this morning that would be nice to watch Canterbury and Tigers at Liverpool one day.

Stevo316

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I wish Belmore would get upgraded, I miss going there, it was our home and since we left there we have only won one premiership

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
They have probably the biggest nursery of junior players in there region. It’s a no brainer to support rugby league heartland.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I wish Belmore would get upgraded, I miss going there, it was our home and since we left there we have only won one premiership
Sentimentally wise i 110% agree Stevo..from the late 70's as a kid and for many many years after i had a blast at Belmore, hit the leagues club afterwards or the nearby pub up the laneway it was fucking great times..i'd go back in time to live it all over again in a heartbeat.

hotdogs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I liked watching games at olympic Park stadium .close to action and elevated ,tiered grass seating behind goal posts one end for families to sit .
Remember running on field last game against broncos championing the team when we got our points taken off us ,was any fellow kennel members there that night?
Belmore would be awesome if upgraded and great suburban ground ,not too bad as it stands now after given some love over the years .
But moving forward i would say liverpool is the target demographic dogs should look to call home .
Claim an untouched territory

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
2 premierships
1995 played out of Parra Stadium

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Sentimentally wise i 110% agree Stevo..from the late 70's as a kid and for many many years after i had a blast at Belmore, hit the leagues club afterwards or the nearby pub up the laneway it was fucking great times..i'd go back in time to live it all over again in a heartbeat.
I hear you sentimentally.
Loads of great Belmore memories.
Red rattler trains slowing down and honking their horns with people hanging out the doors when the footy was on among other memories.

But the facilities aren’t up to spec now, parking is a shambles etc. It’s fine to train and have our CoE, Head Office there etc - but we can’t even have a night match there anymore as the lights no longer pass NRL criteria. In the absence of significant investment (and I can’t see that happening) - member training days and one game per year are really all it can handle.