News Pangai jnr vows to protect Burton if Tino tries it on again

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fierce Bulldog Tevita Pangai jnr hated the sight of two Queenslanders ganging up on Matt Burton in Origin III and has vowed to protect his teammate should any NRL rivals adopt similar tactics.

Pangai was well aware Maroons antagonist Tino Fa’asuamaleaui, the man who held Burton in a headlock while Dane Gagai unloaded a flurry of punches on Wednesday night, awaited the Bulldogs next Sunday.

Pangai also wanted to know why the NRL did not show the same leniency in club games as they did in Origin when it came to the biff.

A grade-one striking offence in the NRL carries a $2000 fine for a first offence, then a two-match ban thereafter. Burton and Gagai were fined $3450, or 23 per cent of their $15,000 match fee, but avoided missing any game time. Fa’asuamaleaui was pinched $1050 for holding Burton in a headlock.

Pangai has never taken a backward step on the field and vowed to protect Burton if clubs tried to adopt the Queensland blueprint for the rising star.

“Matty is a big boy who can hold his own, but I’d like to see the same rules applied to club footy when it comes to punching,” Pangai told The Sun-Herald.

I wasn’t happy about what I saw. But we’ll worry about that next week.

“Anyone with a dangerous kicking game you try to go after. You see it with Nathan Cleary; he’s always being pressured.
“Matt Burton is becoming known for his kicking game and teams will try to rough him up. It’s our job as a forward pack when it comes to what we do about that.

“Both of us were part of a run to a premiership together last year [at Penrith], now we’re here [at Canterbury] together. I love ‘Burto’ and I don’t like seeing that stuff happen to him.

The rules should be 10 minutes in the bin with no suspension if guys want to throw punches in club land.

“Our game isn’t for everyone. We can’t please everyone. Make it 10 in the bin and then get on with it. You see people mouth off these days and the jersey grabbing, but there are no consequences for them.”

Pangai and Fa’asuamaleaui are bound to meet in the middle on Sunday week, especially now Pangai has settled in the lock forward position.

“I can use my athleticism a lot better and I don’t have to think as much when I’m in the middle,” Pangai said. “On an edge there’s a lot of thinking and having to pace yourself, but in the middle you get in, do your job, have a break and then do it again.”

There has been talk about Pangai linking with Wayne Bennett and NRL newcomers the Dolphins, but the Tongan powerhouse is loving working with Canterbury great Phil Gould and interim coach Mick Potter. He is contracted to Canterbury until the end of 2024. He will try to inspire a win against Souths on Sunday at Accor Stadium.

“I just want to play accordingly to the way I’m paid,” he said. “I enjoy being here and working with ‘Gus’ [Gould], and I know he will get the right coach for me. Mick has also done well for me, he’s a club legend and I like playing for him.

Popular centre Braidon Burns returns from his latest hamstring injury he suffered against his former club Souths back in round six. The latest setback featured a tear in the lower part of his right hamstring, compared to a left hamstring strain a couple of seasons ago that was closer towards the glute muscle.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
This article was so predictable given the kennel (this forum) went ballistic after origin and wanted TPJ to get back at tino for Burton
TPJ just put a massive target on his back though, refs will be all over him during the game.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I love everything he said. Especially about wanting to live up to his contract, how soft the game has become and people that niggle and do cheap shit don't have any repercussions with no punches and that he loves working with Gus and Potter and isn't worried about the coaching search..

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Fierce Bulldog Tevita Pangai jnr hated the sight of two Queenslanders ganging up on Matt Burton in Origin III and has vowed to protect his teammate should any NRL rivals adopt similar tactics.

Pangai was well aware Maroons antagonist Tino Fa’asuamaleaui, the man who held Burton in a headlock while Dane Gagai unloaded a flurry of punches on Wednesday night, awaited the Bulldogs next Sunday.

Pangai also wanted to know why the NRL did not show the same leniency in club games as they did in Origin when it came to the biff.

A grade-one striking offence in the NRL carries a $2000 fine for a first offence, then a two-match ban thereafter. Burton and Gagai were fined $3450, or 23 per cent of their $15,000 match fee, but avoided missing any game time. Fa’asuamaleaui was pinched $1050 for holding Burton in a headlock.

Pangai has never taken a backward step on the field and vowed to protect Burton if clubs tried to adopt the Queensland blueprint for the rising star.

“Matty is a big boy who can hold his own, but I’d like to see the same rules applied to club footy when it comes to punching,” Pangai told The Sun-Herald.

“Anyone with a dangerous kicking game you try to go after. You see it with Nathan Cleary; he’s always being pressured.
“Matt Burton is becoming known for his kicking game and teams will try to rough him up. It’s our job as a forward pack when it comes to what we do about that.

“Both of us were part of a run to a premiership together last year [at Penrith], now we’re here [at Canterbury] together. I love ‘Burto’ and I don’t like seeing that stuff happen to him.

The rules should be 10 minutes in the bin with no suspension if guys want to throw punches in club land.

“Our game isn’t for everyone. We can’t please everyone. Make it 10 in the bin and then get on with it. You see people mouth off these days and the jersey grabbing, but there are no consequences for them.”

Pangai and Fa’asuamaleaui are bound to meet in the middle on Sunday week, especially now Pangai has settled in the lock forward position.

“I can use my athleticism a lot better and I don’t have to think as much when I’m in the middle,” Pangai said. “On an edge there’s a lot of thinking and having to pace yourself, but in the middle you get in, do your job, have a break and then do it again.”

There has been talk about Pangai linking with Wayne Bennett and NRL newcomers the Dolphins, but the Tongan powerhouse is loving working with Canterbury great Phil Gould and interim coach Mick Potter. He is contracted to Canterbury until the end of 2024. He will try to inspire a win against Souths on Sunday at Accor Stadium.

“I just want to play accordingly to the way I’m paid,” he said. “I enjoy being here and working with ‘Gus’ [Gould], and I know he will get the right coach for me. Mick has also done well for me, he’s a club legend and I like playing for him.

Popular centre Braidon Burns returns from his latest hamstring injury he suffered against his former club Souths back in round six. The latest setback featured a tear in the lower part of his right hamstring, compared to a left hamstring strain a couple of seasons ago that was closer towards the glute muscle.
"I can use my athleticism a lot better and I don’t have to think as much when I’m in the middle,” Pangai said. “On an edge there’s a lot of thinking and having to pace yourself, but in the middle you get in, do your job, have a break and then do it again.”"

PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

TPJ...You talked the talk you must walk the walk !!!