P.V.L

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
They did not need to change the rules to fix that, just enforce the rules that were already there.

Always a Bulldog
Very true. If they made one rule change to stop repeated infringements, they could have introduced a 5 minute sin bin to stop teams from continually giving away penalties on their line... Instead of this six again crap which had turned it into unlimited tackles and touch footy.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, such funny comments. The guy who saved NRL from going under, had us back on the field before anyone else. Yep this guy is so stupid and has no idea!!! Every other sport copied he’s covid blueprint in getting there sport up and running
I agree 200%,could u imagine our game if vlandys wasn’t involved,if indeed it is true he’s leaving that really is a big hole to fill,very difficult to believe the negative comments coming out of here.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really short the memories on here,the nrl expenditure at head office in memory was in excess of 120 million per annum they reduced this by over 50 million of which a large chunk went back to the clubs,negotiated a new agreement with Foxtel which has given the game more security,the clubs want him there,players association want him there.he’s just about to announce a new free to air deal of $600million ,he has shored up the future for the nrl when other organisations,like the a league,rugby union are on their knees.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Really short the memories on here,the nrl expenditure at head office in memory was in excess of 120 million per annum they reduced this by over 50 million of which a large chunk went back to the clubs,negotiated a new agreement with Foxtel which has given the game more security,the clubs want him there,players association want him there.he’s just about to announce a new free to air deal of $600million ,he has shored up the future for the nrl when other organisations,like the a league,rugby union are on their knees.
Thanks PVL junior.

You can talk about the back office all you want - he just undid all the sh!t that Greenberg did in the back office (kudos) - but also changed the game dramatically to the point where it looks like teams are playing touch football.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fans hate the sux again rule, and im pretty the coaches and players aren't to fond of it. I don't think they'll look at scraping it till oldmate is gone.

Not to mention the ridiculous fiasco with the inconsistent high contact officiating, the game may have good money coming in, but that's a result of the demand for the product.

The demand for the product could be even greater if they fix the game up by simply undoing the sux again rule as the game itself has lost a lot of its excitement factor recently.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks PVL junior.

You can talk about the back office all you want - he just undid all the sh!t that Greenberg did in the back office (kudos) - but also changed the game dramatically to the point where it looks like teams are playing touch football.
I don’t disagree with u one bit,the touch footy side of it I’m with u 100%,but the nrl under the old regime would have been screwed,with the way covid has changed society,and how we do things.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Thanks PVL junior.

Touch football is more attractive though lol. He ruined the game for the almighty dollar. He kept harping on about the fabric of the game and in the same breath tore shreds into it.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don’t disagree with u one bit,the touch footy side of it I’m with u 100%,but the nrl under the old regime would have been screwed,with the way covid has changed society,and how we do things.
You’re definitely not wrong there. Maybe he saved the game.. who knows?

IIRC there was a rainy day savings that Greenberg was meant to of put away for a number of years -a fund to be called upon when needed (ie like when we needed to find the move to QLD last year). If I remember right - he never did it.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I've always thought that Gus would have made a good NRL CEO. At least he has a clue about Rugby League unlike Moffat, Smith, Gallop, Greenberg, V'landys, Abdo etc.. They need someone with a proper Rugby League background for once.
I've said for a while the ARLC is out of balance with too many corporate types on it. We need some people with Rugby League smarts and experience. Wayne Pearce is there as en ex player but we need others there with significant experience in other facets of the game. An ex club CEO, an ex coach and an ex referee preferably someone who has also been head of referees, so he can nip in the bud these stupid rule changes that have not improved the game.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Very true. If they made one rule change to stop repeated infringements, they could have introduced a 5 minute sin bin to stop teams from continually giving away penalties on their line... Instead of this six again crap which had turned it into unlimited tackles and touch footy.
I can tell you that when we had unlimited tackles up to 1966 the game was much slower. There was a 3 yard off side rule. Dummy halves rarely ran from there because if they got tackled it was a scrum with the other team getting the loose head and feed. Scrums and play the balls were actually a contest. Teams could monopolise the ball for an entire half. Saints usually did.