over officiating spoling the game

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In this off-season recovery after the grand final was spoiled by rules that defied common sense and over-use of technology, I watched again that wonderful 1973 match between the Barbarians and Wales which I hopefully shared here
And whilst watching, I couldn't help but ponder how unplayable rules and over=officiating has ruined rugby and is in the process of ruining League. I only hope people influencing in the game's administration wake up before it is too late.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
the most enjoyable games to watch are those when the referees keep a "good" ten metres. A lot of the other issues "disappear" when the defence is kept back a generous ten metres.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I watched a game of footy a while back, think it was an England game and minimal commentary, no crowd noise etc was working only the refs mic. It was a great game to watch. You knew everything that was happening and why, and was only 1 ref.

Not saying go down that path but 1 ref and no distractions for him from anywhere else (other ref, bunker, betting agencies etc) made a good to watch.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In this off-season recovery after the grand final was spoiled by rules that defied common sense and over-use of technology, I watched again that wonderful 1973 match between the Barbarians and Wales which I hopefully shared here
And whilst watching, I couldn't help but ponder how unplayable rules and over=officiating has ruined rugby and is in the process of ruining League. I only hope people influencing in the game's administration wake up before it is too late.
IMHO both games are in need of a major overhaul, the problem is that as the game became more professional and players became faster, stronger and more athletic, officiating has become more difficult.
Over officiating will always result in more stoppages and is a turn off for fans, however because of professionalism and hence the need to win at all costs under officiating will always lead to all sorts of other problems, simply because players will resort to anything they can get away with even dirty tactics.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That's probably the worst Haka I've ever seen....surely they were taking the piss with that attempt...

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm one of the first to bag the refs, but admittedly, they've made the game too hard to referee...
Dominant tackle, inside shoulder, measuring intent etc
I'm also not a fan of the 2 ref system, provides an element of inconsistency from play to play.
Rugby league is a simple game, keep them back 10m, call held when momentum stops and let the teams settle it for themselves.
We need to go back to 1 ref with in goal officials and touchies. Vid ref can get involved when they're asked in try scoring situations.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I disagree, rugby league is a simple game and not hard to officiate, probably the easiest of all team sports. It's the betting agencies, nepotism and corruption, that have turned the officiating into what it is. Go back to this year's grand final and you will see that if it was not for the "6 not again" decision, we would be talking about one of the best grand finals ever!

Last edited:

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Question: why are the referees in the NRL so shit? They have way too much influence on the outcome of way too many games.

And they just got a 30% pay increase over 4 years. By 2022 season the top referees in the NRL will be earning $300,000 pa. Good pay, surely we can expect a better standard of refereeing!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I'm one of the first to bag the refs, but admittedly, they've made the game too hard to referee...
Dominant tackle, inside shoulder, measuring intent etc
I'm also not a fan of the 2 ref system, provides an element of inconsistency from play to play.
Rugby league is a simple game, keep them back 10m, call held when momentum stops and let the teams settle it for themselves.
We need to go back to 1 ref with in goal officials and touchies. Vid ref can get involved when they're asked in try scoring situations.
Can't understand why the 10m is so inconsistent. Get the touchies to do their job. Ref stands at play the ball to concentrate on that and touchie immediately lifts flag if any player is offside. How is that so hard to police? It is the single most important rule that affects open, attacking footy and the touchie would HAVE to be unbiased in abiding by the rules.

Go back to tackle held when momentum stopped. Immediately let go or get penalised. With so many discretionary decisions/penalties left to refs, this leads to cheating.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
9s had no bunker, but had 3 refs on field. One main ref that followed the play, kept 10m etc, and two goal line refs (one at each end). When the play proceeded towards a try line, the ref at that end went to the dead ingoal line to call the grounding etc, whilst the other one bludged on the 10m line up the other end.

Wasn't perfect, but it was nice to have the ref make a decision, and blow the try or otherwise then get on with the game.

Was also funny to hear all the "6-again, Ben!" calls from the crowd when Cummins was reffing.