Our style / Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
Hi All,

The Dogs are flat, we dont stand deep enough, our forwards dont run hard and we dont look threatening :(

I watched the Roosters and Rabbits game yesterday and I wish we ran as hard as they did.

We have one of the biggest packs in the league yet we run so soft. We need to throw the ball around more and use our outside backs. Standing deep will give Morris and Lafai more room to run and create space for our wingers.

This hit up thing we are doing reminds me of Kevin Moores days.

It seems like we play so safe?? and when we defend we dont rush up to tackle.. instead we wait for the opposition to hit our line.

I dont know :(

Why dont we use the set plays we used in 2012 ? How we utilised Ben barba we can now use Brett.

Bulls215

New Pup
Reaction score
i agree with you i believe we stand flat however against the eels we ran with a little more depth.. the thing with roosters and rabbits is that they do everything with speed .. we look to slow motion and thus gives time for the opposition to defend our plays

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We look like we're trying out outlast the opposition, by tiring them out, tackling our big boys all day. Then when they wear down we "in theory" go on to win the match with a heroic field goal!

I'd rather watch a more entertaining style of footy than what we dish up, but hey, whatcha gonna do!?

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
there are 105,000 ways to win or lose and 2 sides to every story

for example passing the ball around then it can become easy to defend and then we would need to straighten it up, ask tigers fans when benji used to go sideways doing nothing if they liked it or even when reynolds used to do the same thing

dont worry souths play it safe as well, in their own 70 metres they dont do anything other than hit it up

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
That's Hasler saying he has no faith in our halves to lead the team around like other teams do. Therefore he has stuck with a game plan thats got us to the grand final Twice. But it doesn't win you a premiership.
With our forwards, and a decent set of halves we would be more dangerous than the roosters and souths. It would open up more opportunities for our backs and you would find guys like Trex would thrive on it.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I dont know, why all the hate on playing flat ? Why? because we dont look as pretty as the roosters ?
Who gives a shit ? whatever works.
Playing flat, on the advantage line, is a perfectly legitimate tactic, and one that we're best suited to as well.
If you have forwards that can throw a pass, playing flat commits defenders, giving them no time to adjust.
I truly think that the criticism of our playing style comes from some peoples dissatisfaction with our halves and they point to our style as faux evidence.
The fact is we play the style that Des trains us to play and im assuming hes identified where our strengths lie.

Malla

Reaction score
We seem flat because our forwards run in pairs and 3's which confuses the hell out of the defence, hence why none of our forwards ever really get hit with big defence. Only last week, King James got smashed a couple times but I am pretty sure Kite was about 6 metres off side. We pass at the line too - King James has set up 3 tries so far this year by passing at the line.

My only qualm is that we don't use our backs more but I think as the season progresses we will.

Kurrupt78

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont know, why all the hate on playing flat ? Why? because we dont look as pretty as the roosters ?
Playing flat, on the advantage line, is a perfectly legitimate tactic, and one that we're best suited to as well.
If you have forwards that can throw a pass, playing flat commits defenders, giving them no time to adjust.
I truly think that the criticism of our playing style comes from some peoples dissatisfaction with our halves and they point to our style as faux evidence.
The fact is we play the style that Des trains us to play and im assuming hes identified where our strengths lie.
^^^^ This!!!

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Fact #1 : Parra won their opening game by 30 points.

Fact #2 : We beat Parra the following week by 20 points.

Fact #3 : Defence wins games. Tries sell tickets. Roosters and Souths both had 26+ points scored against them while using "hard running" as their weapon.

Fact #4 : We don't have a "style". We have Des-ology. The sort of brains that uses forwards as halfbacks to beat teams when you don't have proper halfbacks available.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I hate they are seriously turning the game into touch footy just to let the little man have a run. I wanna watch the big mutha fkrs kasiano and co absolutely demolish other teams and then watch the little freaks like the barba 2012 come out of nowhere and tear shit up. But purposely trying to rid of the big men which is what they're obviously trying to do is fkn bullshit in my opinion. Anyways our style gets you to the grand final we just needed an X factor last year and also we were depleted by the time grand final day came last year.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Wow so much negative analysis after round 2. Might take time for us to peak with a new hooker and fillin half. You would think we just lost by 20, not won by 20. I will reserve my "anaysis" of how we are going this year until some of it has passed. There are 24 rounds to go..it really is too soon to call how we are going.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I hate they are seriously turning the game into touch footy just to let the little man have a run. I wanna watch the big mutha fkrs kasiano and co absolutely demolish other teams and then watch the little freaks like the barba 2012 come out of nowhere and tear shit up. But purposely trying to rid of the big men which is what they're obviously trying to do is fkn bullshit in my opinion. Anyways our style gets you to the grand final we just needed an X factor last year and also we were depleted by the time grand final day came last year.
All the pretty boys in the NRl are the smaller players like Adam Reynolds, Luke Leary, DCE so of course the NRL want the game to open up more and let them run riot. I prefer a good tough game of footy rather than the touch style they want to create with the constant rule changes regarding ruck and play the ball areas. Nothing really rewards the bigger guys these days, even in NSWRL Cup on the weekend we won a scrum against the feed to put us on the attack but it was called back, refed and won by the team feeding it.If it is a case of not being able to push in the scrum penalise the side that does it but for heavens sake don't refeed it.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't have any issues with us playing flat, but i do wish that T-Rex in particular was not playing as wide as he does. He moccasionally opens things up around him by running at the centre or winger but i think that he restricts the room our outside backs have to work in on that side. I didn't have the chance to re-watch the game from friday but i think when he came off our forwards played in the middle of the field where they're supposed to and our backs looked more dangerous because they could use footwork.

I'm happier with how much more sting Williams has in attack these days but he seems to want to play on the wing like Dave Taylor. This is my last issue with Williams who i think is coming closer to some big games but i hope he learns to play closer in field. I only really watched our game on friday and probably the opening 20-30 minutes of the Sharks vs Broncos game and i would say that the weakest run any of our forwards made on friday would have shown more gusto than 90% of the hit-ups from either the Sharks or Broncos.

Completely agree. At times last year we looked great with the short balls to forwards that came through playing flat and i think that as the year progresses we are going to see Brett Morris carve up so many teams when he follows through and takes some of these short passes at pace. Greg Eastwood made so many line breaks off this tactic last year and we never had anyone following him through the gaps. I'm salivating about seeing him make his next big line break because i think that Morris is going to score a hat full of tries whenever Eastwood or any of our forwards make a small break. We've already seen him being fed some nice offloads by Kasiano and Graham and i think he will only get better as the rest of our forwards work out that he's going to be running quick enough in support to finish off their good work.

We seem flat because our forwards run in pairs and 3's which confuses the hell out of the defence, hence why none of our forwards ever really get hit with big defence. Only last week, King James got smashed a couple times but I am pretty sure Kite was about 6 metres off side. We pass at the line too - King James has set up 3 tries so far this year by passing at the line.

My only qualm is that we don't use our backs more but I think as the season progresses we will.
I agree with this too. When Barba was at his attacking best in 2012, i would say that at least half of his journeys through gaps came about because the defense was waiting back to see if the ball was going to spread to another forward or if ratboy was going to slip through at pace. Reynolds was also very threatening in 2012 with his ability to hit the offloads at pace and it was the same with Keating on the other side of the ruck. I like to think that when our forwards get the defense on the back foot this year our backline is going to chime in well with support play. I know that Hodkinson doesn't have the running game that Keating had (which i think was pretty much Keatings only asset) but our halves now seem to have developed some ability to build pressure through repeat sets via grubbers, where as in 2012 both our halves were just doing the low cross field bombs 9/10 times.

I think we'll get a lot better and see more from the backs as the team work out our new strengths and weaknesses.

Malla

Reaction score
I don't have any issues with us playing flat, but i do wish that T-Rex in particular was not playing as wide as he does. He moccasionally opens things up around him by running at the centre or winger but i think that he restricts the room our outside backs have to work in on that side. I didn't have the chance to re-watch the game from friday but i think when he came off our forwards played in the middle of the field where they're supposed to and our backs looked more dangerous because they could use footwork.

I'm happier with how much more sting Williams has in attack these days but he seems to want to play on the wing like Dave Taylor. This is my last issue with Williams who i think is coming closer to some big games but i hope he learns to play closer in field. I only really watched our game on friday and probably the opening 20-30 minutes of the Sharks vs Broncos game and i would say that the weakest run any of our forwards made on friday would have shown more gusto than 90% of the hit-ups from either the Sharks or Broncos.

Completely agree. At times last year we looked great with the short balls to forwards that came through playing flat and i think that as the year progresses we are going to see Brett Morris carve up so many teams when he follows through and takes some of these short passes at pace. Greg Eastwood made so many line breaks off this tactic last year and we never had anyone following him through the gaps. I'm salivating about seeing him make his next big line break because i think that Morris is going to score a hat full of tries whenever Eastwood or any of our forwards make a small break. We've already seen him being fed some nice offloads by Kasiano and Graham and i think he will only get better as the rest of our forwards work out that he's going to be running quick enough in support to finish off their good work.

I agree with this too. When Barba was at his attacking best in 2012, i would say that at least half of his journeys through gaps came about because the defense was waiting back to see if the ball was going to spread to another forward or if ratboy was going to slip through at pace. Reynolds was also very threatening in 2012 with his ability to hit the offloads at pace and it was the same with Keating on the other side of the ruck. I like to think that when our forwards get the defense on the back foot this year our backline is going to chime in well with support play. I know that Hodkinson doesn't have the running game that Keating had (which i think was pretty much Keatings only asset) but our halves now seem to have developed some ability to build pressure through repeat sets via grubbers, where as in 2012 both our halves were just doing the low cross field bombs 9/10 times.
I think we'll get a lot better and see more from the backs as the team work out our new strengths and weaknesses.
One thing we were taught playing league is to run at the defenders inside shoulder because it was their weak side and the attacker always gets over the advantage line in doing so. What this structure from us essentially does is it creates that 'weak side' all the time, particulalry when (to your point) we have quick backs cutting through for a pass or off load. There was that inside ball on the weekend from King James to Morris where he went through untouched to score. Also at the end of the first half, Kasiano slipped one out to Morris and had Morris held onto it I think he would have gone close to scoring. We built our success on this style in 2012. Couldnt execute in 2013 because rat boy was disengaged. Went back and did it again in 2014. Now we have better pieces to apply the same type of game plan - it's going to be a great year for us I think.

What The Bark?

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You raise a few valid points, FreshSoul.
Also, it's been the same case for a while, but our intensity in defence could improve. Opposition sides have a tendency to eat up far too many metres whilst attacking our line. If we increase our urgency and intensity in defence, with our pack, we'd be virtually unstoppable.

Malla

Reaction score
You raise a few valid points, FreshSoul.
Also, it's been the same case for a while, but our intensity in defence could improve. Opposition sides have a tendency to eat up far too many metres whilst attacking our line. If we increase our urgency and intensity in defence, with our pack, we'd be virtually unstoppable.
I disagree with this. Between the 50th and 60th minute against Parra, we turned it up in defence and really stepped it up. Being at the game you could see it - we were rushing out, getting 3-4 guys into the tackle and very agressive. It was a perfect time to do it because Parra were tired at that point. One of the sets they kicked form the 30m line and we scored right off that set of 6.

What The Bark?

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I disagree with this. Between the 50th and 60th minute against Parra, we turned it up in defence and really stepped it up. Being at the game you could see it - we were rushing out, getting 3-4 guys into the tackle and very agressive. It was a perfect time to do it because Parra were tired at that point. One of the sets they kicked form the 30m line and we scored right off that set of 6.
Malla, I think we can both agree that it shouldn't take 50 minutes for our defence to turn up. In the NRL, playing at a consistent high level is imperative and performing well for an eighth of the match just isn't good enough.

Malla

Reaction score
Malla, I think we can both agree that it shouldn't take 50 minutes for our defence to turn up. In the NRL, playing at a consistent high level is imperative and performing well for an eighth of the match just isn't good enough.
So you are saying our defence for the other 70 minutes was rubbish? Lol we were already defending at a high level, but at this point we lifted the intensity and made ground without the ball.

What The Bark?

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
So you are saying our defence for the other 70 minutes was rubbish? Lol we were already defending at a high level, but at this point we lifted the intensity and made ground without the ball.
No, I'm referring specifically to the intensity of our defence. Parramatta should've never been in the match, let alone leading us at one point.

Status
Not open for further replies.