Our salary cap situation for 2023 (According to Zero Tackle)

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I am not saying this is 100% accurate. This is the best source I have in the one place
Disclaimer Part 2: I read the NRL salary cap rules. My understanding for 2023 is put in this thread. If I'm wrong I apologise.
Disclaimer Part 3: I have an avid curiosity with things like constructing teams for the salary cap, so if this thread is pointless again I apologise.

550,000Josh Addo-Carr
500,000Matt Burton
500,000Corey Allan
450,000Kyle Flanagan
800,000Luke Thompson
750,000Tevita Pangai Jr
600,000Josh Jackson
600,000Reed Mahoney
800,000Villiame Kikau
450,000Jack Hetherington (Used to be listed as this, now removed) [Mutual Option, club can not sign him]
6,000,000Total Spent
Our 10 highest paid players account for $6 million. How much of that counts against the cap is unknown. Let us be generous and estimate $5.5 Million

Other players signed for 2023 (Undisclosed amounts): Paul Alamoti, Jake Averillo, Braiden Burns, Bailey Biondi-Odo, Jeremy Marshall-King, Brent Naden, Jayden Okunbor, Chris Patolo, Aaron Schoupp, Ava Seumanufagai, Corey Waddell Total 11 players

Let us again be conservative and estimate those players earn an average of 225k each (On average, players like Naden will likely be on more and players like Patolo are likely on less) $2.5 Million Total Spend

$8 Million spent across 21 players
$9.7 Million NRL Salary Cap for top 30 Players (For 2023 Season)
$1.7 Million remaining for 8 players

Players 27-30 must earn a minimum of 80k. 350k for four players.
Balance for players 22-26 $1.35 Million across 5 players (Players must earn a minimum of 120k p/a in this bracket)

We basically have $1.35 million to spend on five players for next year (Please remember this is the best case scenario for us)

Unless we offload players we are unlikely to be able to afford any 700k+ signings without filling out the rest of the squad with fringe first graders. This is my best attempt at making sense of our salary cap situation for next year.
Cheers mate. Like you said, there's probably some rubbery guess work at zero tackle and in your estimations but it would be pretty close.

We could surely have 3 players in the 22-26 roster spots on minimum $120g. That leaves a million for 2 players, from which we could buy at least 1 high quality player. Plenty of things will change though IMO, with Thommo, Allen and Flanagan likely to be sold if we can find a decent buyer.

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I am not saying this is 100% accurate. This is the best source I have in the one place
Disclaimer Part 2: I read the NRL salary cap rules. My understanding for 2023 is put in this thread. If I'm wrong I apologise.
Disclaimer Part 3: I have an avid curiosity with things like constructing teams for the salary cap, so if this thread is pointless again I apologise.

550,000Josh Addo-Carr
500,000Matt Burton
500,000Corey Allan
450,000Kyle Flanagan
800,000Luke Thompson
750,000Tevita Pangai Jr
600,000Josh Jackson
600,000Reed Mahoney
800,000Villiame Kikau
450,000Jack Hetherington (Used to be listed as this, now removed) [Mutual Option, club can not sign him]
6,000,000Total Spent
Our 10 highest paid players account for $6 million. How much of that counts against the cap is unknown. Let us be generous and estimate $5.5 Million

Other players signed for 2023 (Undisclosed amounts): Paul Alamoti, Jake Averillo, Braiden Burns, Bailey Biondi-Odo, Jeremy Marshall-King, Brent Naden, Jayden Okunbor, Chris Patolo, Aaron Schoupp, Ava Seumanufagai, Corey Waddell Total 11 players

Let us again be conservative and estimate those players earn an average of 225k each (On average, players like Naden will likely be on more and players like Patolo are likely on less) $2.5 Million Total Spend

Balance for players 22-26 $1.35 Million across 5 players (Players must earn a minimum of 120k p/a in this bracket)

We basically have $1.35 million to spend on five players for next year (Please remember this is the best case scenario for us)

Unless we offload players we are unlikely to be able to afford any 700k+ signings without filling out the rest of the squad with fringe first graders. This is my best attempt at making sense of our salary cap situation for next year.
Allan, Hetho and Thompson wont be here IMO

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm a broken record on this. But zero tackle is having a guess at salaries. We as fans just need to hope that our management get it all right with regards to who ends up on big money. Take these articles with a grain of salt.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'm a broken record on this. But zero tackle is having a guess at salaries. We as fans just need to hope that our management get it all right with regards to who ends up on big money. Take these articles with a grain of salt.
ZT go off what's reported in the media. That's the best info fans have. All player salaries should be made public imo.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Royce Hunt is off contract. TPJ shredded his jersey and he cut us to shreds for our trouble. Seems like just the kind of Bulldog player we need :grinning:

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could see 10 or more players being released / not re-signed, plus I wouldn't be surprised if we have quite a few minimum wage or close to it players added to the squad next year, leaving money for another big buy.
Paul Alamoti, Aaron Schoupp, Creedence toia, Jackson Topine, Matt Doorey, Kurtis Morrin, Jacob Kiraz, Reece Hoffman And Josh Stuckey Are all realistic options to be in the top 30 next year.

Last edited:

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't see Kikau coming for 800G... Gould said no expensive non spine players

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't see Kikau coming for 800G... Gould said no expensive non spine players
Never accept the quotes from the media, especially when it comes to the salary cap .... he wouldn't have come cheap however there's always money outside the cap.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

550,000Josh Addo-Carr
500,000Matt Burton
500,000Corey Allan
450,000Kyle Flanagan
800,000Luke Thompson
750,000Tevita Pangai Jr
600,000Josh Jackson
600,000Reed Mahoney
800,000Villiame Kikau
6,000,000Total Spent

According to what I've been told the total figure is 500k less in total.

Magic Arrow

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to what I've been told the total figure is 500k less in total.
So our salary cap space for next year is around 1.8m for about 5 players if your information is correct. Which puts us in a much better situation.

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Thommo, Jacko, Allan, Averillo, Wakeham, Waddell, Baz. Goodbye.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Royce Hunt is off contract. TPJ shredded his jersey and he cut us to shreds for our trouble. Seems like just the kind of Bulldog player we need :grinning:
He is a big unit with plenty of grunt. Beat Gallens Sharks record for bench presses apparently:grinning:

Magic Arrow

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thommo, Jacko, Allan, Averillo, Wakeham, Waddell, Baz. Goodbye.
I think with the right cap number Thompson is really valuable to have. If his number was 600 nobody would want him gone. The rest I agree I wouldn’t retain on first team money. Much better value in the market.

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
yes i fully understand the cap, but if we release thompson and we dont get a like for like player, then we go backwards. No point upgrading a player if he is not going to cut it.
We need to improve the roster, if that means releasing thommo, im ok with it, but we must improve the roster not go backwards.
Wayne Bennett always said he never let go a player unless he got someone better to replace.very simple.
We have let good players go in the past james graham,ennis,finicane,cook. And who did we replace them with?

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Wayne Bennett always said he never let go a player unless he got someone better to replace.very simple.
We have let good players go in the past james graham,ennis,finicane,cook. And who did we replace them with?
excatly, no point letting thompson go in his last year if we can get a player of the same quality.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
That can be your opinion but we replaced Cotric with Okunbor while under Gus the man who's making these decisions. Thompson's playing nowhere near what he's on (King and Vaughan have out performed him so far this year). Finucane was salary cap related (our forwards were stacked). Graham was replaced with Woods (NSW/AU prop at the time). Ennis and Cook were replaced by Lichaa who was one of the best hooker's coming through at the time (we bought him on potential, doesn't always work out, that's why the club was scared to go hard for Harry Grant before he extended with the Storm a few years ago).

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
That can be your opinion but we replaced Cotric with Okunbor while under Gus the man who's making these decisions. Thompson's playing nowhere near what he's on (King and Vaughan have out performed him so far this year). Finucane was salary cap related (our forwards were stacked). Graham was replaced with Woods (NSW/AU prop at the time). Ennis and Cook were replaced by Lichaa who was one of the best hooker's coming through at the time (we bought him on potential, doesn't always work out, that's why the club was scared to go hard for Harry Grant before he extended with the Storm a few years ago).
Yeah here what your saying.finicane left because he was offered a starting role with the storm.and let’s be honest who wouldn’t take up that opportunity to play in one of the best teams for the past two decades.