Our salary cap situation for 2023 (According to Zero Tackle)

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I would pull every string that has ever been made to swap Thomo, (who IMO is not a prop) with Hass, who is 2 props in one, or put more simpley is as good as any 2 props we currently have.
If we can do it without having the cap too lopsided I’d be happy with it.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Unfortunately players have different values in the salary cap. Signing players like Kikau and Mahoney is not the same as losing Wakeham and Stimson.
Why not? It works for the Roosters and Storm

Magic Arrow

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate King is already doing Thommo's job and then add Sutton. We have already sorted the void at half the price.

Whats left from the cash along with RFM's and Stimson'syour looking at over a million to spend on other position(s)
Problem is Max King only signed a one year deal and will probably need to be upgraded. He isn’t currently signed for next year. You need to use some of that 1.35 to do that.

People are failing to realise we’ve spent a lot of money on two players for next year. Stimson/RFM/Wakeham money has been used on the Kikau and Mahoney signings.

Magic Arrow

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s also worth noting that next year we have Flanagan, Jackson, Thompson and Allen off contract. That is roughly 2.3m worth of cap space we free up across four players. Assuming we have our 6 and 9 sorted in Burton and Mahoney, we could make a big play for another spine player. The highest profile players I could find available off contract next year to fill either fullback or a half are:

Halves:
Munster
Dylan Brown
Luke Brooks
Ben Hunt (will be 34 by 2024)
Shaun Johnson (will be 33 by 2024)
Sam Walker
Jackson Hastings
Cody Walker

Fullback:
Doueihi
Will Kennedy
Latrell Mitchell
Cobbo
Tabui-Fidou
CNK
Daine Laurie

Theoretically you could spend 1 million on Munster and 600k on a player like Will Kennedy/CNK/Douehi and have a 650kish offer for Thompson.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’d go for a fullback. Flanno can be more of a consistent player than Dufty, Dufty scares me. If you got a gun hooker(Mahoney), Burton and a gun Fullback then a lot of pressure would be taken off Flanno to concentrate on his own game.
My thoughts exactly

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
JJ would have a concession, the figures are likely not completely accurate (still astounds me that most teams on Zero tackle have no data on figures yet they seem to know everything about our club) and we do have a fair contingent coming off contract - that money would be split between a marquee player, handful of experienced NRL players and minimum wage players.

I can see Thommo going to Tigers or Storm, Allen probably goes to the Dolphins or Eels and RFM needs a medical miracle, I do hope he comes good, but I think he’s one more decent injury from retirement unfortunately.

You do wonder about some of the other team though, Teams like Roosters and Storm have multiple 1M+ players (or thereabouts) in their rosters.

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I am not saying this is 100% accurate. This is the best source I have in the one place
Disclaimer Part 2: I read the NRL salary cap rules. My understanding for 2023 is put in this thread. If I'm wrong I apologise.
Disclaimer Part 3: I have an avid curiosity with things like constructing teams for the salary cap, so if this thread is pointless again I apologise.

550,000Josh Addo-Carr
500,000Matt Burton
500,000Corey Allan
450,000Kyle Flanagan
800,000Luke Thompson
750,000Tevita Pangai Jr
600,000Josh Jackson
600,000Reed Mahoney
800,000Villiame Kikau
450,000Jack Hetherington (Used to be listed as this, now removed) [Mutual Option, club can not sign him]
6,000,000Total Spent
Our 10 highest paid players account for $6 million. How much of that counts against the cap is unknown. Let us be generous and estimate $5.5 Million

Other players signed for 2023 (Undisclosed amounts): Paul Alamoti, Jake Averillo, Braiden Burns, Bailey Biondi-Odo, Jeremy Marshall-King, Brent Naden, Jayden Okunbor, Chris Patolo, Aaron Schoupp, Ava Seumanufagai, Corey Waddell Total 11 players

Let us again be conservative and estimate those players earn an average of 225k each (On average, players like Naden will likely be on more and players like Patolo are likely on less) $2.5 Million Total Spend

$8 Million spent across 21 players
$9.7 Million NRL Salary Cap for top 30 Players (For 2023 Season)
$1.7 Million remaining for 8 players

Players 27-30 must earn a minimum of 80k. 350k for four players.
Balance for players 22-26 $1.35 Million across 5 players (Players must earn a minimum of 120k p/a in this bracket)

We basically have $1.35 million to spend on five players for next year (Please remember this is the best case scenario for us)

Unless we offload players we are unlikely to be able to afford any 700k+ signings without filling out the rest of the squad with fringe first graders. This is my best attempt at making sense of our salary cap situation for next year.
2 names need to come off that top list

Dyms17

Waterboy
Reaction score
You also need to take into account the fact that 5% of the cap not spent this year can be spent on next years cap. Thats close to 500k
Which may in part be a reason we got rid of Cotric.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too many players in that 400 to 750k range.. for example I think 2 x 1 million dollar players + 2 x 100k young player (2.2m total) is usually better than 4 x 550k players (2.2m).. don't get me wrong there's some great players at lower prices but most won't win you games, and if they start doing that regularly, then their pay would reflect it.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Its an easy solution tbh...

As said Sutton and King already 2 spots.

King for Thommo
Sutton for RFM
Stimo ANY min wager.

With money saved you improve in other positions or even add depth to those positons. For example you could add another backrower.... a cheapie like Garner or class like Matterson or Nikora.
king is already on the roster so how is that improving?

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Too many players in that 400 to 750k range.. for example I think 2 x 1 million dollar players + 2 x 100k young player (2.2m total) is usually better than 4 x 550k players (2.2m).. don't get me wrong there's some great players at lower prices but most won't win you games, and if they start doing that regularly, then their pay would reflect it.
This I absolutely agree with, sign the elite players and recruit or promote players who can execute a role in the team.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s also worth noting that next year we have Flanagan, Jackson, Thompson and Allen off contract. That is roughly 2.3m worth of cap space we free up across four players. Assuming we have our 6 and 9 sorted in Burton and Mahoney, we could make a big play for another spine player. The highest profile players I could find available off contract next year to fill either fullback or a half are:

Halves:
Munster
Dylan Brown
Luke Brooks
Sam Walker
Jackson Hastings
Cody Walker

Fullback:
Doueihi
Will Kennedy
Latrell Mitchell
Cobbo
Tabui-Fidou
CNK
Daine Laurie

Theoretically you could spend 1 million on Munster and 600k on a player like Will Kennedy/CNK/Douehi and have a 650kish offer for Thompson.
id chase mitchell moses for 7. not available until 2024 though, so will coincide with flanno's last year. will kennedy is class but doubt the sharks would let him leave and douehi is injury prone

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
king is already on the roster so how is that improving?
It's improving because u free up money elsewhere in the team.

I would suggest TPJ, Hetho, King, Sutton, Patolo would be a healthy middle forward pack and gives uan opportunity to by better backrowers

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Problem is Max King only signed a one year deal and will probably need to be upgraded. He isn’t currently signed for next year. You need to use some of that 1.35 to do that.

People are failing to realise we’ve spent a lot of money on two players for next year. Stimson/RFM/Wakeham money has been used on the Kikau and Mahoney signings.
Max King upgrade would be healthy for both parties.

In regards to the cap its a fair point but then again we really don't know where it's at.. cotric money for example..this year or next?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
$8 Million spent across 21 players
$9.7 Million NRL Salary Cap for top 30 Players (For 2023 Season)
$1.7 Million remaining for 8 players
The Salary Cap for 2023 will be a bit over $10m.
Thompson's $800k includes $100k+ paid to StHelens as a transfer fee, him and his partner's relocation costs and a car, none of which are in the Cap.
Flanagan has an education allowance plus a car, not in Cap. Allen also has an education allowance.
Jackson is our only player entitled to the $200k Veteran and Developed player allowance, he goes and we loose it (effectively our Cap goes down by $200k). Plus he has car and whoever replaces him at Captain would be looking for a $50k to $100k upgrade. So losing Jackson would save us between $300k and $350k, big farkin deal.
TPJ includes relocation allowance for him and his family, not in Cap.
Keeping in mind at the $10m is spread over 30 players = average $333k each.

In summary, 21 players = ~$7.5m, leaving ~$2..5m for 8 players, average $313k, pretty close to $333k average for the 30 players. Looks like a pretty well managed Cap to me, Gould's spreadsheet at work.

Always a Bulldog

Last edited:

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
We need to approach Wayne Bennett and ask him if he wants Corey Allan. He turned him into an Origin player in 2020. Would save us 500k a season.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Halves:
Munster
Dylan Brown
Luke Brooks
Sam Walker
Jackson Hastings
Cody Walker

Fullback:
Doueihi
Will Kennedy
Latrell Mitchell
Cobbo
Tabui-Fidou
CNK
Daine Laurie

You can forget about Doueihi, I spoke to him at a wedding once and he said he'll never play for the dogs. He can't stand our club.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
We need to approach Wayne Bennett and ask him if he wants Corey Allan. He turned him into an Origin player in 2020. Would save us 500k a season.
You reckon he’ll get named today? Got a feeling he might