Not open for further replies.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Id be more concerned about our halves leading this team around

bulldogfan1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Dragons right hand side of attack with Marshall is there most potent which means they will be attacking our left hand side which is our strength. If Widdop comes back, he attacks on there left which is our right which will be very concerning especially as Widdop has a good pass on him.

I don't understand how someone who has so much experience as Perrett who has played GFs, test matches and first grade for what almost 10 years gets exposed and makes so many rookie errors. Even when Inu was playing inside him we were having similar issue. Does anyone have a theory?

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lafai seems to be improving ,as always perret is the main concern

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The whole lack of aggressive defence is my concern. As I have expressed before on the forum the basic physics is that you have to be moving forward in defence otherwise the defending team will be simply going backwards. This has been the dogs problem for too long. What is the average metres the dogs concede in defence each set of 6. How does that compare with the average metres gained by the dogs in attack. I would like to see those statistics. From simple observation, the dogs are at best flat footed in defence waiting for the ball carrier to arrive, even when defending on the goal line. At worst the defender is actually moving backwards as the ball carrier approaches. Invariable they spend most of their sets in possession just getting back to the half way. No field position. No aggression in attack. It was suggested that Des doesn't want them tiring themselves moving up in defence. But when they face a good team that does move up in defence it's good night dog. What do others think

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
rona and morris will expose the opposition right side defence, so its even

doggies15

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think we are taking too much away from this shitty game that means sweet fuk all from this point onwards.

Dogs by 30 on Saturday.

We have to announce we are here to win it this year.
i hope your expectations of a 30 point win dosent let you down if we win by 2 or sumthin hahaha

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Defense, defense, defense! All week.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
are we being fooled by des's 'under the radar' stategy or are we seriously struggling
Sorry but I don't believe we are going as well as everyone thinks we are. I really have an issue with our kicking game and our right hand defence gets exposed alot. I still think Lafai is a worry.... he is not offering enough in attack and he and Perret get caught out in defence. What will win us the game against the dragons is our kick and chase and ability to get repeat sets.....the latter really worries me, especially against the gun teams. I think the dragons will lift and if we aren't on our game there we may be in a rude shock.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perrett and Lafai will cost us a premiership mark my words. I've said it all year that their defence has been chit.

They have been exposed all season and a lot of rubbish teams have ignored this but come finals time when everything is on the line watch them get targeted.
I agree......perett and Lafai will cost us eventually....there's no communication there......too late to make changes now......why Phillips never got the nod ahead of Perret is just pathetic.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gotta think positive, this side pipped the Broncs at Suncorp then rolled the Rabbits, its on!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The whole lack of aggressive defence is my concern. As I have expressed before on the forum the basic physics is that you have to be moving forward in defence otherwise the defending team will be simply going backwards. This has been the dogs problem for too long. What is the average metres the dogs concede in defence each set of 6. How does that compare with the average metres gained by the dogs in attack. I would like to see those statistics. From simple observation, the dogs are at best flat footed in defence waiting for the ball carrier to arrive, even when defending on the goal line. At worst the defender is actually moving backwards as the ball carrier approaches. Invariable they spend most of their sets in possession just getting back to the half way. No field position. No aggression in attack. It was suggested that Des doesn't want them tiring themselves moving up in defence. But when they face a good team that does move up in defence it's good night dog. What do others think
Our kick chase is the same. Im going with an endurance issue or Des favouring a slow moving defence to reduce the chance of having a staggered defensive line.

I remember when Des was at Manly, they would have some sets where they would absolutely rush off the line and bash the attack and keep to about a 25m gain.. havn't seen this with the dogs alart from the game against the titatns when Roberts slipped through on the last lol

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It won't happen but I'd keep Stanley at right centre
some of his runs out of trouble were awesome last night against the massive warriors.

re. Defence on right, it's because Jacko came off for a breather and Shaun lane is a left edge player not right. Against the roosters and souffs he killed their left hand side and combined awesome with Jmoz and lafai

Jippst

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I was actually worried about Mbyes defence or lack there of,he seems to grab at times.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I do like lane but fricken hell his defence is pathetic... He looks like a tall young school boy... Not enough mongrel in him. I do t like Ben creigh type of players

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Spot on. We are far too complacent and flat footed in defence. There is no line speed for 2 reasons...both related to the size of our forwards. 1. It tires us out too much and 2. When big men move forward it's more difficult to move laterally...accordingly, when your big (and fat) it's better to stay still and let the attack come to you...so we happily concede 50metres+ every defensive set. Then, against a side willing to move up in defence as we run one out without even looking for an offload we can get gang tackled and dominated easily. It's just the way we play.
Did anyone else notice Mbye and Reynolds both going missing heaps yesterday?Neither looked interested at all. bring on the semis....time to get excited guys.

ArnieD

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I bet if you look at every teams stats most tries are scored of the right side defence. Our three top try scorers play on the left in attack. Radradra leading try scorer plays left. It's just every teams preferred attacking side.

Status
Not open for further replies.