Opinion Our Right Edge

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gus was asked numerous times on social media regarding Skelton and what position he'd play and he always replied with 'back rower'
Not sure how much say Gus will have with Ciraldo running the team but I think they have him earmarked for the forwards. From his highlights though he has been a star playing the backline ...
I thought he said he could see him ending up in the secondrow, my usual phrase time will tell !

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So the main right edge candidates for 2023 are:
* Flanagan
* RFM
* TPJ
* Burns
* Allan
* Kiraz

With BBO, Alamoti and Skelton 'under development'.

Looks like a problem that with a bit of luck might be sorted for 2024.

All these players will treat 2023 as about showing why they should be playing somewhere in the NRL in 2024.

Only a couple of them will make it.
Can I add David Fifita to that list :tearsofjoy:

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Alamotis name keeps coming up, he isnt ready for first grade, he might be a talent but he is far from being a first grader. Let him develop in the reggies and maybe in the back end of 2023 blood him into the first grade team for a big 2024.

Rassayri

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alamotis name keeps coming up, he isnt ready for first grade, he might be a talent but he is far from being a first grader. Let him develop in the reggies and maybe in the back end of 2023 blood him into the first grade team for a big 2024.
How do you know he is ready yet? look at Panthers they blood players and throw em into the deep end sometimes that’s all that’s needed for players to reach there potential

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
At this stage it will probably be something boring and unsexy like Flanagan/Waddell or Davey/Burns/Kiraz..

I think Alamoti and Skelton will start the season in Reserves unless they have a huge preseason. TPJ will probably play in the middle considering that's how they used him at Penrith.. RFM can start there but he's better off the bench.

Kiraz is much better in the centres than on the wing but he might start the season on the wing as the alternatives are pretty average.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How do you know he is ready yet? look at Panthers they blood players and throw em into the deep end sometimes that’s all that’s needed for players to reach there potential
Have you not been watching him play in the reggies? I have ... that's why I know he isnt ready for first grade.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Panthers juniors who as you said "throw them in the deep end" were all dominating in the juniors and than reserve grade. They were ready both mentally and physically to play NRL.. Alomoti can't consistenly put back to back games together at a high level and fades in and out of games, especially in defence. He is a star in the making but not yet ... that's all I'm saying.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I agree that Schoup doesn't really fit the bill at this stage of his career. However, we really have little choice.
Kiraz will transition to fullback at a later stage which compounds the problem.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
There’s no rush with Alamoti bro. We’re not the Pamfers. Those players get blooded into the juggernaut of the nrl and our boys debut into the let down of the nrl lol hopefully that all starts to change next year.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
With Vaughan gone, I’m guessing next year he’ll be in the front row
Not what I’m hearing
Look for Sutton Thompson king potato head to play prop

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Panthers juniors who as you said "throw them in the deep end" were all dominating in the juniors and than reserve grade. They were ready both mentally and physically to play NRL.. Alomoti can't consistenly put back to back games together at a high level and fades in and out of games, especially in defence. He is a star in the making but not yet ... that's all I'm saying.
Penrith youngsters also come into a settled team where they've already played regularly with half the players in winning junior rep teams. One thing Ciraldo must know after his long coaching apprenticeship is when players are ready for NRL, so I expect good decisions around Alomati and other young players. Gus isn't in to rushing players into NRL either.

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Been on my mind lately.

With Burton, Kikau, Shoupp and JAC likely to be a top 4 left edge combination. How are we going to get the most out of the other edge so that at least some of our points come from the other side.

Who should start?

Flanno, RFM, Burns,/Kiraz or Kiraz/Burns. ???
That's why I feel we need Hastings, runs to the line brilliant right side player, ultimate competitor and with great players around him can really steer the ship

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
(Left edge)
5.Fox
3.Farnworth/alamoti
6.Burton
11.Kikau

Right edge
2.Dom young
4. Xerri
7. Moses