Opinion Our questionable starting selections

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Crichton: Is he Leon Bott? Getting outleapt today was a sign of things to come. We're massively exposed to aerial assault with him on the wing. We need to urgently find a way to limit this risk or he's not a sustainable first grade option.

Holland: It might be time to accept that Holland is a bit parts player who is capable enough of occasionally filling in but who belongs in reserve grade.

Lewis: It's hard to ignore the deficiencies that were so glaringly revealed today. Yes, he had no platform, but his kicking game and option-taking were atrocious, defence wasn't up to scratch, and he's not ready to lead a first grade team around the field. A great kid but our hopes in him do not appear to be warranted.

Lichaa, Montoya: Others have said enough about these two. They can no longer be first graders.

Tolman: His effort and tidy-up work just doesn't justify selection anymore; we urgently need some power and physical presence up front.

Elliott: At best his place in this side is on the bench.

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Crichton: Is he Leon Bott? Getting outleapt today was a sign of things to come. We're massively exposed to aerial assault with him on the wing. We need to urgently find a way to limit this risk or he's not a sustainable first grade option.

Holland: It might be time to accept that Holland is a bit parts player who is capable enough of occasionally filling in but who belongs in reserve grade.

Lewis: It's hard to ignore the deficiencies that were so glaringly revealed today. Yes, he had no platform, but his kicking game and option-taking were atrocious, defence wasn't up to scratch, and he's not ready to lead a first grade team around the field. A great kid but our hopes in him do not appear to be warranted.

Lichaa, Montoya: Others have said enough about these two. They can no longer be first graders.

Tolman: His effort and tidy-up work just doesn't justify selection anymore; we urgently need some power and physical presence up front.

Elliott: At best his place in this side is on the bench.
1) it’s clear our team did not practice defusing cross field bombs as the inside players didn’t adequately cover the bat back. And Crichton is a foot shorter than Fus/maumolo
2)holland will have 1 good game every 5 matches he plays. Average.
3) I have no idea why TK and media have overhyped this kid to the nth degree. He played like 9 games last year in a team that had nothing to lose. Everyone needs to lower expectations.
4)you said it best
5)our forward balance is fucked up. Napa is gassed after 10 mins and both Tolman and Elliot cannot bend the line.
6) Elliot is a good bloke that should take Steve turners media role asap. Solid ISP player. CHN to start, Jackson to lock

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I think you'll find there were other things on players minds today... and they weren't football.

Playing in a country were there has just been nearly 50 people slayed, when your overseas and your family are at home, and it was 24 hours ago.

That's going to play on your mind.

Compared to a team that is playing for solidarity of their country after a major terror attack.

Warriors had motivation today, and not even the Rabbitohs would have beaten them.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of his at all but if Tupou get put on the outer at the roosters when Hall comes back perhaps we need to look at him given our structures are shithouse, at least we would have someone to kick to lol

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Agree with questioning the performances of all those listed other than Tolman. As usual he was our most robust in defence and his go forward was impressive (14 hit ups for 158 metres).

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Do we have a halves coach, who is it? Whoever told Lewis to put up bombs in the hope we could outleap the warriors wingers to score tries has rocks in their head. I still have hope for him but that game would have brought him down to earth.

With Critchton surely there was a better wing option available at the time. A more promising player with decent speed.

With the others mentioned put them on the open market and see if any club signs them, I really doubt it.

We've got a team of fringe first graders at the moment.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
I think you'll find there were other things on players minds today... and they weren't football.

Playing in a country were there has just been nearly 50 people slayed, when your overseas and your family are at home, and it was 24 hours ago.

That's going to play on your mind.

Compared to a team that is playing for solidarity of their country after a major terror attack.

Warriors had motivation today, and not even the Rabbitohs would have beaten them.
That is no excuse for what we dished up today and we shouldn't use it as such. We were way off the pace. Didn't even put up a fight.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Do we have a halves coach, who is it? Whoever told Lewis to put up bombs in the hope we could outleap the warriors wingers to score tries has rocks in their head. I still have hope for him but that game would have brought him down to earth.

With Critchton surely there was a better wing option available at the time. A more promising player with decent speed.

With the others mentioned put them on the open market and see if any club signs them, I really doubt it.

We've got a team of fringe first graders at the moment.
Crichton is a decent winger. Put him in the storm system he plays extremely well. Why? Well because storm have good structures and his weaknesses would rarely be exposed. Our line speed and defence is shit, therefore Crichton can expect high kicks and overlaps on his edge week in week out

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Montoya
Holland
Elliot
Lichaa

We take the field 4 short fg players every time these names are in the 17

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
holland, Montoya, lichaa, Elliot, JMK all need to find new clubs. I doubt very much Holland Montoya, Lichaa and JMK would make it in another clubs 17 unless it was Manly lol Elliot might but shouldn’t

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Question has to be repeatedly asked, how is Rhys Martin not good enough to be part of this team?

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Question has to be repeatedly asked, how is Rhys Martin not good enough to be part of this team?
My non bulldog mates have non stopped msgd me this same question all afternoon
And most of them dislike the bulldogs immensely

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm fuming over todays result, but I also know that a win next week will change things.. I believe that there's no room for certain players in this team.. however, I still want to wait a few weeks before demanding wholesale changes.. Montoya is a non negotiable though.. needs to go now

Dog Till I Die

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm fuming over todays result, but I also know that a win next week will change things.. I believe that there's no room for certain players in this team.. however, I still want to wait a few weeks before demanding wholesale changes.. Montoya is a non negotiable though.. needs to go now
I can't wait that long.
When was the last time we were flogged by 34 in Round One? I've gone back to 1956, one of our worst years, and I can't find a comparable result.
I'd take heart if it was just a lapse or a Warriors side fired up by Christchurch but it was more, much more, than that: a coach - who persists with mediocrity as a benchmark and then justifies their non-performance as "...blokes give everything at training, now we just gotta get that on the park!" - for starters.
Same old fucking mantra, week in, week out. Just like today's press conference.
These pages are littered with the reasons we're not performing: Lichaa, Montoya, Elliott, JMK. Over and over. And we're just the mugs. What's that tell you about Head Office?? And our coach?
In the indecent haste to shed the shackles of Dib/Hasler, our club has created another major fuck-up: put a nice, apologetic bloke/Dog legend in as coach and a board again stacked with ghosts of the past warming their fat rumps as the Bulldogs burned. Just as long as they had some connections with the misty, teary 90s. And, to top it off, a CEO who's responses to unanswered questions on Klemmer and other recruitment issues shows all the hallmarks of someone who likes pissing into a wind blowing on your face!
We have persisted with mediocrity for 8 years now. Noel, Des & Dib and half the NRL whose contracts we're STILL paying/subsiding are having a laugh on us. Brick by brick, they've dismantled this once mighty club and all we stood for.
I hear all the arguments about the rebuild. But I can't recall such a sense of desperation on these pages so early in the season. Our starting 17 were smashed today. 4 of the 17 have, week after week, proved they don't belong in the 17. And yet, Pay persists. Pay, a year or so on, owns what went out there on the park today. No longer Des'. No where else to run or hide.
Today's performance is a reality check and a pretty sad indication of what we've become.[/QUOTE]