Our greatest 'Moneyball' team of all time - 1996-2020

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Havent done a best of all time thread in a while.

With all this talk of recruitment scraps, i thought it may be apt we see what kind of a team can be assembled on scrap from the scrapheap.

The criteria, building a team of players unwanted from other clubs who enjoyed new wind, whom we picked off the scrapheap elsewhere, in the entire history of our club, 1996 on.

For example, we cut Tolman, whoever picks him up could have him in their equivalent teams.
Please dont include players we poached.

1. Rod Silva (East scraps) (c)
2 michael lett (dragon scrap)
3 chase stanley (saints scrap)
4 Tim Lafai (Dragon rubbish)
5 luke macdougall (drug scraps) or steve turtner (storm scraps)
6 Trent hokkinson (manly scrap)
7 blake Green (warrior scrap)
8 Ryan tandy (melb scrap)
9 Mick ennis (Bronco scrap) or robbie mears (rooster scraps)
10 michael Hodgson (Titan scrap)
11 Donald Stagg (Bronco scraps)
12 shane perry (west scraps)
13 Greg eastwood (Bronco scraps)

what i noticed, when compiling this, is we have alot of wingers we got from the bargain bin, i could have gone on with a bunch more, howland, bott etc
but not many back rowers. after stagg and Eastwood it was harder.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
in the modern world, that whole team be assembled for under 2 mil,
I think only the spine players could bet on getting above 300 in todays rate at time of scrapping.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
1. Rod Silva (East scraps) (c) Thanks Phil Gould!
2 michael lett (dragon scrap) 3 games whoopee a reserve grader
3 chase stanley (saints scrap) 29 games, but badly damaged goods - a fill in player
4 Tim Lafai (Dragon rubbish) Was good before he left, but past it when he came back (still better than what we had!)
5 luke macdougall (drug scraps) Drugs??? 2 games a reserve graderor steve turtner (storm scraps) 54 games solid winger originally a FB with Penrith, but could find injuries
6 Trent hokkinson (manly scrap) not scrap, odd man out with DCE & Foran at Manly - good get until injuries struck
7 blake Green (warrior scrap) late bloomer perhaps a gap year player for us
8 Ryan tandy (melb scrap) A Craig Bellamy con
9 Mick ennis (Bronco scrap) A great purchase 136 games until Des shafted him or robbie mears (rooster scraps) A very good hooker but Hetherington came along at a bad time for him. I'd take him now!
10 michael Hodgson (Titan scrap) A good reliable prop / 2rower & good value for 51 games
11 Donald David ? Stagg (Bronco scraps) 94 games reliable defender more lock than 2ndrow. Another Des should have kept
12 shane perry (west scraps) only 6 games with us but a late bloomer who came back later better with the current wooden spooners
13 Greg eastwood (Bronco scraps) No scraps there, a great buy who loved the club. Paid his own transfer fee of $120k to come back to us. Much derided because he helped the club out by having a big back-ended deal. Not his fault - Des'! He should be remembered by fans fondly as he was a very good (Test) player in his prime. Hopefully we will see one of his 123 kids play for us down the track.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Somewhat good analysis but i feel you may not have got my drift.
You said Hokko was "not scrap, odd man out with DCE & Foran at Manly" but thats the definition because he was turfed on the scrapheap by de after being in reserve grade and not offered a contract.
we picked up a solid reserve grader.

for shiz, he would have landed somewhere, but we still got what ended up being an origin half, from someones leftovers. great moneyball purchase.

Silva, Hokko, Eastwood, Ennis and hopefully green are the pick of the bunch there.

picking through others garbage doesnt often come up trumps, but theres been cases when its happened and players kicked on hard.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
O'Meley, Patten, Vagana, Andrew Ryan, Perrett, Inu and probably a few others that escape me at the moment are ahead of a lot of those. Picking up overlooked talent used to be a special skill the club posessed. You could probably add Brad Clyde and Ricky Stuart who we picked up late in their careers.

My backline of
1. Patten
2. Perrett
3. Vagana
4. Inu
5. Rona

Would eat the one above for breakfast.

Forward pack of
8. O'Meley
9. Ennis (wasn't technically scrapped he was scalped)
10. Rauhihi
11. Ryan
12. Clyde (Canberra did try to keep him though)
13. Yileen Gordon

Also think that Stuart would be a shoe in in the halves.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
O'Meley, Patten, Vagana, Andrew Ryan, Perrett, Inu and probably a few others that escape me at the moment are ahead of a lot of those. Picking up overlooked talent used to be a special skill the club posessed. You could probably add Brad Clyde and Ricky Stuart who we picked up late in their careers.

My backline of
1. Patten
2. Perrett
3. Vagana
4. Inu
5. Rona

Forward pack of
8. O'Meley
10. Rauhihi
11. Ryan
13. Yileen Gordon

Your guys werent discards though actually maybe Inu and mayyybe Rauhihi but I can't recall the circumstance around his acquisition.
They pulled mad strings to get Ryan, and Vagana was international player of the year just before we got him lol.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't read any of this shit but that keyboard and pipe of yours have been copping an absolute flogging the past few weeks.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

My backline of
1. Patten
2. Perrett
3. Vagana
4. Inu
5. Rona

Forward pack of
8. O'Meley
10. Rauhihi
11. Ryan
13. Yileen Gordon

Solid team.!!

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Your guys werent discards though actually maybe Inu and mayyybe Rauhihi but I can't recall the circumstance around his acquisition.
They pulled mad strings to get Ryan, and Vagana was international player of the year just before we got him lol.
Pretty much every one of those players had a good debut season then fell out of NRL contention due to flaws in their games. Ennis is the only one of those I recall spending a significant amount of time in the NRL leading to him signing with us.

The Moneyball strategy you speak of doesn't necessarily mean that you have to pick up absolute rejects. It's just a matter of seeing the value of players that haven't been recognised at their current club.

The Dominator

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Why is this Nasheed "character" allowed to post rubbish on here all day? Its Smack off the old debate page for sure.

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
everyone will tell you you cant be like mick ennis but why dont you find out for yourself