Our discarded players

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Of the 8 discarded players, minus 1 for retirement (Holland), you could make a serious argument to have kept almost all of them.

Only Montoya is an obvious discard.
The others are actually good players (Foran), possibly underrated good players we rely on (Tolman) or players that are depth and have no impact on why we are bad or didn't get much of a shot (Cogger, Tass, Lafai and Sue).

thsi is a problem as we may be throwing the babyout with the bath water here.
I really hope we recruit well, and if not, throw the dog a cheap bone (Tolman).

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Lafai is absolute shit, don't know about Tass. The other gays may get another gig in the NRL?

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Cogger should have been kept, still had alot of untapped potential and would even have been a great reserve grade 7 or injury cover if T-Baz wanted to take a different path. I really hope someone picks him up as he's nowhere near as bad as people make out. Don't see many young halves engage the line after a broken hip.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Holland and Montoya needed to go.
Sue and tolman always put effort in abit hard done by hopefully they can find a new club.
Cogger and lafai could of been decent For depth only on minimum wage though

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
All those players could have been signed by other clubs since 1 November last year. No-ones gone near them, enough said.
I feel your flow.
Seriously in my mind I've stripped naked and put floaties on and am bobbing on your wave.
Picture it to be Airlie beach in the Great Barrier Reef, but in my mind I call it the great barrier beef, but it's still the reef, only imaginary in my mind.
But,
Despite being on your flow, take into consideration that teams don't often poach players a year out. You have to be a genuine superstar for that, or a cheap angle at getting them early.
Most signings happen between the 2/3 mark to the end of the previous season.
Players in that money ball category, they are sorted in the off season.
It's unfair to say Tolman could have been poached. He is 31 and in that moneyball group (or discard group).
Tolman could end up with 3 offers by Christmas.
Most first graders aren't in much demand.
Could you imagine for example the bulldogs signing say, Dean Whare 8 months out?

JOHNY BULLDOG

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I feel your flow.
Seriously in my mind I've stripped naked and put floaties on and am bobbing on your wave.
Picture it to be Airlie beach in the Great Barrier Reef, but in my mind I call it the great barrier beef, but it's still the reef, only imaginary in my mind.
But,
Despite being on your flow, take into consideration that teams don't often poach players a year out. You have to be a genuine superstar for that, or a cheap angle at getting them early.
It's unfair to say Tolman could have been poached. He is 31 and in that moneyball group (or discard group).
Could you imagine for example the bulldogs signing say, Dean Whare 8 months out?
Congratulations mate....you are a fucking lunatic!!!!

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel your flow.
But,
The meth must be real strong today.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Of the 8 discarded players, minus 1 for retirement (Holland), you could make a serious argument to have kept almost all of them.

Lost me at this sorry.

hotdogs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The club needs a genuine clean out and this is a good start .Special mention to Tolman who has been a great loyal servant and ambassador for the club.

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Would've kept Sue, not a world beater but definitely has had good moments and wouldn't have cost much. Still remember when he ran down CNK last year at ANZ.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I trust Trent Barrett and his decisions in regards to our playing roster. We all knew our squad needed a broom put through it and he has done that. He will bring in new players (not all superstars) but hopefully hungry players that will help rejuvenate our squad.

At a guess I would say he definitely has a plan on the type of football he wants to play and the work ethic and skills of the type of players that he needs to carry out that plan. So all of that plus the capabilities of the current players and potential new recruits would have been taken into consideration as to who will be there next year. At the moment all we can do is guess what players he might be going after and we all have our wish list of possible recruits but in reality we don't know. I'm putting my trust in Barrett and will support whatever players he recruits

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Sue wouldn’t have been bad to keep, viewing the rest unless your mind fucked they would be pretty pointless to keep.