Our Attack?

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep it is hot and humid up here, but it always is at this time of year. If they played a week earlier they would have collapsed, but so would of the Cowboys. With the exception of the rain, it wasn't that bad IMO, but I've lived here for 19 years. They did fairly well for southerners. lol
Youve been in townsville 19 years. You poor bastard. I lived there 3 years and hated every moment of it. Started calling Clownsville or Brownsville by the time I left.

NQ Dog is correct if you havent bern through the humidity up thier you have ecperienced humidity

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In regards to JAC don't think he's %100 you could see that when he made the break and didn't back himself... he didn't even get out to a full sprint.
I thought he was waiting for backup that never arrived.

Bit like when Burto took the tackle on the 4th because there was no other option in site

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
In regards to JAC don't think he's %100 you could see that when he made the break and didn't back himself... he didn't even get out to a full sprint.
He was cramping well before that, go back and watch the replay, him particularly.

Always a Bulldog

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Youve been in townsville 19 years. You poor bastard. I lived there 3 years and hated every moment of it. Started calling Clownsville or Brownsville by the time I left.

NQ Dog is correct if you havent bern through the humidity up thier you have ecperienced humidity
I love it. I came up here when the Sunny Coast got too cold in winter, 2 ute loads of wood for the fireplace per year. Much better fishing here. Barra off the beach behind my place. I am starting to feel the heat as I get older though, I had to put A/c in the house 18 months ago. Goin' soft.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

I still remember when I went to Cairns. The second the doors opened in the airport, the humidity hit me like a Tyson uppercut.

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Some on here bag Shane Flanagan but at least he seems to see some things that Barrett doesn't. After we wasted 6 tackles on the Cowboys tryline with one out runs Flanagan said in Fox commentary how teams need to really attack on "every" tackle in good ball position (ie: not waste tackles with hit-ups).

From the way we play it seems Barrett doesn't get that. I think we'd definitely improve if Flanagan was coaching us.
Don’t think Barrett would of wanted them to do that so they obviously had no ideas in attack

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The biggest reason for the win and i feel like people underestimate this is Burton's absolute monster boot.

Our biggest issue starts with JMK having absolutely no clue and then by the time any of our halves get the ball the opposition has already rushed up and they have no option but to shovel the ball to a forward for the same play we've done for the last 5 years.

We need to stand deeper and we need better service from DH. The times we looked very good was when BBO came on and we started to get a roll up the field but by that time there was only a few minutes left and we were going for percentage plays as opposed to trying to land the killer blow.

BBO needs to come on towards the end of both halves against a tiring defence. I don't get why Barrett doesn't see this, he needs to match fresh players on the interchange against a tiring opposition. Waddell and JMK should be subbed off at certain points in the game. We have a bench for a reason
Yeh BBO made us look a lot more likely to produce some good attack when he came on, I’d say he will retain the no. 14

Hopefully he comes on at the end of the first half as well as you said

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
that will come in time, all teams practice and train this. It about the players knowing which players have the ability to pass before or after the line
I hope so but In all seriousness they didn't train any of that stuff. What your seeing is exactly the way they ran around in opposed sessions all summer.

Hopefully as they gel they will start playing that adlib footy though for now they are shackled and programmed.

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We also need to use our big 2nd rowers a lot better, instead of just having them do hit ups.
Having them run different lines, decoys and flat passes
If TPJ and hethrington are out 2nd row we should really use them a lot better

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yesterday against Cowboys our attack was as predictable and unimaginative as it has been for the past few years.

One out running by forwards.
Flat footed backs receive the ball on the 3rd / 4th tackle.
No depth, no decoys, no motion.

We do the same thing when we have 6 tackles 10m out from the goal line. Why are we giving it to forwards for 3, 4 tackles?

Hetherington had his arms free to pass many times in the game - no-one backing up, no bodies in motion.

Our backline is standing flat - JAC is even getting in front of Naden.

There was a scrum 8 mins to go, 10m out from their line - Burton, Naden, JAC set left virtually man on man. We go right (ffs) then play 3 forward plays at the line - moment killed.

We look disorganized around the rucks.
Glad we got the win but we have a lot to do.
I’m going to say the attack showed some signs of improvement from previous years e.g. “no try” inside ball to Dufty - this is a play we (a) never really tried last year (b) If & when we did, it was to Jackson who can’t take advantage of a slow recovering slide defence.

But absolutely take your point on bodies in motion, playing with some depth and at pace. We at least appeared to generate quicker ruck speed with our speedy backs finding room up the middle catching the tiring retreating defence.

we will need to get better at reading the numbers, teams are getting much better in that area with 3 on 2s or 3 on 1s short side play becoming increasingly popular.

Special shout out to the Titans who have mastered running Fifita on the right edge attracting 3 or 4 defenders minimum and ripping the ball left where the numbers suggest the defence is short - Parra caught out at least 3 or 4 times on that alone. We have to develop our own game plans in this regard.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I forget that we have so many new players in key positions.

It's going to take longer than a few trial games and 1 NRL game to click.

I think their are positive signs with the attack tbh.

Even in that trial when Naden got that disallowed try, it was only timing by TPJ on why it was not given. It was a nice move.

Burton inside to Dufty was nice aswell.

It's going to take time and more games for them to get the timing right.

It's going to awesome when we get Mahoney.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love it. I came up here when the Sunny Coast got too cold in winter, 2 ute loads of wood for the fireplace per year. Much better fishing here. Barra off the beach behind my place. I am starting to feel the heat as I get older though, I had to put A/c in the house 18 months ago. Goin' soft.
I hear ya about the cold mate. We moved from Sydney to townsville. Then moved over to Darwin. Best move I ever made. Its hot and humid. But at least the rain washes the dust away.
Can't beat the fishing in Townsville mate had a house in halifax literraly fishing of his back verandah.

Minix

Waterboy
Reaction score
Any Spanish Mack up there?

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We also need to use our big 2nd rowers a lot better, instead of just having them do hit ups.
Having them run different lines, decoys and flat passes
If TPJ and hethrington are out 2nd row we should really use them a lot better
fatigue heat rain and other factors fucked our attack, I hear you and agree we need alternate pathways to the try line but benefit of the doubt in this game, the hit ups were the safer option in the wet and heat and just outlasted them

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We dont have a halfback and our game plan still consists of 4 hitups with a hail mary bomb on the last

Averillo out, Wakeham in
wakeham played 5/8in reserve grade, to me that tells me Flanagan is ahead of him.