Our Attack?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm convinced that Barrett's system in attacking sets is about using crash balls searching for a quick play the ball to generate a good look the next tackle.

Thoughts?
Like one of the commentators said last night, the good teams have the whole team moving forward in attack with plenty of support whereas we constantly have guys running one-out with no support. Eg: Jackson makes a half break and no support whatsoever. It has to be the way we train.

I watch every other team throw the ball around constantly making multiple passes but when it comes to us it's like playing eyes up footy has purposely been coached out of them. We have 6 tackles on the opposition try line and even then we still don't threaten on every tackle. We have 4 settlers then kick on the 5th usually and often f.. that up. Why waste the previous 4 tackles in good ball position when it's so hard to get ? It's obvious they're trained to play that way and so frustrating.

JMK isn't capable of delivering quality passes and he can't even get the ball to the halves when they need it. That's part of it yet Barrett keeps selecting him. Give Cook a go FFS. The only positive I can say for Barrett was his decision to drop Schoupp for Burns.

Last edited:

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday against Cowboys our attack was as predictable and unimaginative as it has been for the past few years.

One out running by forwards.
Flat footed backs receive the ball on the 3rd / 4th tackle.
No depth, no decoys, no motion.

We do the same thing when we have 6 tackles 10m out from the goal line. Why are we giving it to forwards for 3, 4 tackles?

Hetherington had his arms free to pass many times in the game - no-one backing up, no bodies in motion.

Our backline is standing flat - JAC is even getting in front of Naden.

There was a scrum 8 mins to go, 10m out from their line - Burton, Naden, JAC set left virtually man on man. We go right (ffs) then play 3 forward plays at the line - moment killed.

We look disorganized around the rucks.
Glad we got the win but we have a lot to do.
Youve nailed it Kenya. Wish Tb read your post cause I just don't think he has worked it out yet.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Our first game as a new team and we pulled off an outside inside ball that was meant to be a try,
the only problem we have is jmk with his slow motion service,
and our 4th tackle option as a settler in the opposition 20.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep. I noticed the same things as you.
Its been the same mentality since the 90s. The only time it changed was with Sherwin-Anasta or Kimmorley calling for the ball.

We are without doubt the ugliest playing team in the comp. Dont let last nights win fool you. The opposition was just poorer on the night.

We look completely uncoached or we train to play this dumb and ineffective way.

I tend to blame Barrett, JMK, Burton and Averillo. Between them, they should be able to identify this ongoing problem and do something about it.

I watch our games and inside the 20m, i just wish we could replace our forwards with backs - NFL style
When Tbas became our coach I was astatic, Thinking he would finally change our style of play seeing that he came with the big credentials of being the Penrith attacking coach but after his first season and now into his second we are still playing the same out dated Des ball, There is still this one out running by the forwards, bad handling, no back line movement, no decoys, no set moves and no GAME PLAN ! . in the first season he blamed the fact that he didn't have the cattle, now he is using the excuse that all these star players will need time to gel, he may be right and time will tell but one thing is noticeable is that the Panthers won a premiership with out him last year & They seemed to have picked where they left of so far this year, they don't seem to miss Barret's coaching one little bit.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
How many of you farkers complaining about our type of attack were actually at the game? FMD it pissed down 1/2 hour before the game, the humidity was 100%, it was farking hot, slippery, the ball was wet just from the moisture in the air, let alone the buckets of sweat dripping off the players. Wet weather football was the rule for the day. For ball control it was worse than playing in pissing down rain, which it did in the second 1/2 just for good measure. I’m very surprised we didn’t have more players dropping with cramps, it was debilitatingly stifling. The perpetual complainers about our fitness, just shut the fark up, the locals were in far worse condition than us.

Think about it, JAC who has to one of the fittest NRL players was cramping from early in the second half and no amount of rehydration made any difference. The physios recon it will take 2 to 3 days for the players to recover and get back to their proper hydration levels.

The conditions were farkin horrid and to play and win the way we did was a bloody huge effort. Round 2 awaits, let’s go.

Always a Bulldog

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The conditions were terrible.. rain, high humidity and high temperature yet we still created more try scoring chances than the Cowboys. We've also changed the way our spine links up compared to last season and the trials and there were a few good moments that we can build off.

There's obvious issues like JMK's awful service, not having an out and out on field general, lack of polish and chemistry, too many dead plays, etc...but people need to be realistic, we're not a top 8 team right now so don't expect us to play like one. We're hopefully building towards that this season and have continued to recruit key players that address our current weaknesses.
spot on. there was never going to be a switch flicked and suddenly we're scoring 80 points a game. the conditions sucked, it was round 1 and we still created more than the cowboys. we will improve

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How many of you farkers complaining about our type of attack were actually at the game? FMD it pissed down 1/2 hour before the game, the humidity was 100%, it was farking hot, slippery, the ball was wet just from the moisture in the air, let alone the buckets of sweat dripping off the players. Wet weather football was the rule for the day. For ball control it was worse than playing in pissing down rain, which it did in the second 1/2 just for good measure. I’m very surprised we didn’t have more players dropping with cramps, it was debilitatingly stifling. The perpetual complainers about our fitness, just shut the fark up, the locals were in far worse condition than us.

Think about it, JAC who has to one of the fittest NRL players was cramping from early in the second half and no amount of rehydration made any difference. The physios recon it will take 2 to 3 days for the players to recover and get back to their proper hydration levels.

The conditions were farkin horrid and to play and win the way we did was a bloody huge effort. Round 2 awaits, let’s go.

Always a Bulldog
In regards to JAC don't think he's %100 you could see that when he made the break and didn't back himself... he didn't even get out to a full sprint.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
exactly! everybody is happy to have a whinge without looking at it for what it was

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I saw some promising signs in the second half. The team showed grit and determination in defence to hang in and win with great scrambling defence even though we were busted open a few times. I’m not a JMK fan but I thought that was one of his best games. Solid in defence and constantly worrying the opposition with darts from dummy half a lot more than we have seen from him in the past. Averillo still needs to get into the game more. I’d like to see him sniff around the ball a bit more like Dufty and get in position for an offload because between hetherington tpj and king we have good offloaders that can generate second phase play. I saw a few more decoy runners running straight lines something I thought was lame or non existent for us last year. Okunbor had strong carries and his error rate was down and scored the only try for us. That’s a try a game for the last 4 games for the big fella. The big disappointment for me was Waddell who continues to give away stupid penalties and will unfortunately continue to hold down that second row position or bench spot until mariner comes back.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw some promising signs in the second half. The team showed grit and determination in defence to hang in and win with great scrambling defence even though we were busted open a few times. I’m not a JMK fan but I thought that was one of his best games. Solid in defence and constantly worrying the opposition with darts from dummy half a lot more than we have seen from him in the past. Averillo still needs to get into the game more. I’d like to see him sniff around the ball a bit more like Dufty and get in position for an offload because between hetherington tpj and king we have good offloaders that can generate second phase play. I saw a few more decoy runners running straight lines something I thought was lame or non existent for us last year. Okunbor had strong carries and his error rate was down and scored the only try for us. That’s a try a game for the last 4 games for the big fella. The big disappointment for me was Waddell who continues to give away stupid penalties and will unfortunately continue to hold down that second row position or bench spot until mariner comes back.
Barrett has to be an idiot. Picking Waddell constantly proves that alone.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
4 hit ups and a bomb. That is not attack.

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yesterday against Cowboys our attack was as predictable and unimaginative as it has been for the past few years.

We do the same thing when we have 6 tackles 10m out from the goal line. Why are we giving it to forwards for 3, 4 tackles?

Hetherington had his arms free to pass many times in the game - no-one backing up, no bodies in motion.

There was a scrum 8 mins to go, 10m out from their line - Burton, Naden, JAC set left virtually man on man. We go right (ffs) then play 3 forward plays at the line - moment killed.

Spot on. Very frustrating to watch. They look to have absolutely no enthusiasm or creativity, just run 5 paces and take the tackle.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

We all know the reasons...No real hooker or halfback.
I believe the solutions are out there but the brave decisions have to be made !
In this order I would have
7 Wakeham / BBO / Flanagan any order
9 Cook
14 JMK / BBO

Last edited:

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
Yep it is hot and humid up here, but it always is at this time of year. If they played a week earlier they would have collapsed, but so would of the Cowboys. With the exception of the rain, it wasn't that bad IMO, but I've lived here for 19 years. They did fairly well for southerners. lol

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
In the old days they would be fully hydrated on the plane trip home.