Status
Not open for further replies.

Brissy Bulldog

Proud to be a Bulldog
Reaction score
Origin stars put on notice

By DEAN RITCHIE

June 1, 2005

FOUR players have been placed on standby for NSW after coach Ricky Stuart last night conceded the club performances last weekend of several incumbent players did not deserve selectors' loyalty.

The move represents a stunning about-face given the NSW camp has, for nearly a week, claimed the 17-man squad from Origin I would be retained for the return match in Sydney on June 15.

Privately, NSW officials say some players were not hungry enough last weekend in NRL matches and were in the "comfort zone" after hearing they would automatically be kept for Origin II.

Among those under pressure to keep their spots are props Jason Ryles and Luke Bailey, winger Luke Rooney, halfback Brett Kimmorley, centre Mark Gasnier and forwards Anthony Watmough and Andrew Ryan.

Proving he is serious about introducing new players, Stuart has contacted two forwards and two backs to explain how close they are to selection.

Stuart would not reveal the four but it is understood those in contention include Braith Anasta, Ryan Cross, Anthony Tupou, Steve Menzies and Craig Gower.

"I told the boys from day one they had to be loyal to their club coach and their club teammates," Stuart said. "They had to play well when they returned to club football.

"Some did last weekend, some didn't. Some dished up poor quality football on the weekend. If changes have to be made, then I understand what the selectors are thinking.

"You can't just turn up at club level and expect selectors to choose you if you haven't played well.

"I don't think what some dished up was what they should have dished up. It wasn't the quality of football we expect.

"I have asked the selectors to show loyalty, but loyalty is a two-way street. You can only ask for so much loyalty."

Stuart said he watched video of all NRL matches last weekend before declaring that changes could be made.

"What concerns me is that [players] left Origin and didn't go back to their club sides and perform," he said.

"Their teammates deserved a better effort from these guys."

Asked about the four players from outside the squad he had contacted, Stuart said: "I told them to make sure they played well this weekend and they will be a lot better off than if they don't.

"They are now aware how close they are – and it may not only be four players."

Ryles and Gasnier last night admitted they feared being dropped.

"I don't think I played that poorly [for St George Illawarra against Melbourne] but would love another opportunity and would do a few things differently," Ryles said.

Gasnier added: "You never take Origin selection for granted."

Stuart said he was "peeved" at suggestions NSW were good things to win Origin II and set up a decider in Brisbane.

"What is very difficult for me is that we are playing a game here in Sydney that everyone is telling us we are going to win," Stuart said.

"Everyone is saying what a great game the decider will be in Brisbane.

"It's not going to be like that.

"Queensland will come down with plenty of confidence. We're in for a tough ride."

Stuart said his side must start strongly in Origin II and could not expect to make another miracle comeback.

"It was an outstanding comeback by the players [in Origin I] but you can't gloss over the fact we were 19 points down in an Origin match. That is unacceptable," he said.

"We can't start like that again. If we do in Sydney, we'll be on the end of the same scoreline.

"There's no way in the world we can come back from that scoreline in Sydney."

Brissy Bulldog

Proud to be a Bulldog
Reaction score
Hopefully 1 of the 4 players he has spoken to is Braith !.

I reckon Kimmorley and Bobcat are certainly going to get dropped.

I can't believe the suggestion that Gasiner and Ryles could be dropped. Doesn't Ricky know that these 2 play for St George ! :grinning:

H

Hazmak

Go fig, get rid of two players to make way for 2 roosters.

Cammo

Bulldogs Tragic
Reaction score
I was surprised Bobcat made the team in the first place. As good a player as he is even he would admit that his form hasn't been the best lately.

Braith would be a good replacement for Kimmorley if you put Barrett at half and Braith at 5/8

ThatsNikkisTeam

Reaction score
hazmak said:
Go fig, get rid of two players to make way for 2 roosters.

get over it ... the 1st squad had problems so hes saying play your best or your out your saying kimmorley should stay ? if he lets him stay we lose hes an idiot yet he kicks him out your saying thats sh*t

and i though you didnt want to risk and more stars to injury

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Andrew RYan is one of the players for sure. He's having a pretty shocking season so far.

ThatsNikkisTeam

Reaction score
i dont care whose put in origin side whoever is playing well deserves it roosters or not i think cross and toops deserve it but toops is yound and when you compare cross to others hes not the fav so that happens u cant just say making room for two roosters hes making room for people who deserve the spot more ...whatever team they are from

ajm

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Its got to be at least Ryles and Bailey, I blame them for the loss more than anyone else. Useless big girls. I do rate Bailey and was dissappointed in his game. But Ryles is useless. Kimmorley was hard against it with out any go forward.
Some people are suggesting Gower, that would be a joke as he is one of the worse halfbacks around. Fairly good hooker but a shocking half.

Reaction score
The way for the blues to win the second game easily is to put Barrett to halfback. He always play awesome there. Having Anasta and Barrett in the halves would work, as they're both big bastards and tackle well, so they definitely wouldn't be a liability in defense.

I think they have to get rid of Luke Bailey or Andrew Ryan and give Joel Clinton a run, hes done about all he can imo. I also wanna know what happened to Trent Waterhouse? He played in the test match, yet he didnt even get a look in for origin. Strange. He would've been better for them on the bench then Andrew Ryan.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Cammo said:
I was surprised Bobcat made the team in the first place. As good a player as he is even he would admit that his form hasn't been the best lately.
no he wouldnt he would blame his poor form on the fans who post on a forum

roc-a-fella

Not impressed..
Reaction score
What about Craig fitzgibbon? he pretty much rested him for their whole game against canberra. so fitzy's guaranteed selection but he's gonna find reasons to drop them other players what a rort

Bek

JC is my homeboy
Reaction score
Brett Kimmorley has to be one of the players that is on notice to b dropped.he had a shocker origin match.Braith should be in for game to.I really hope so.get rid of the Newcastle guy aswell.i think his name is Steve Simpson.Baily,Ryles and Rooney should all b dropped.Put Braith and Trent Barrett in the halves.That combination would b awsome

M

Mason/O'Meley

Hopefully Ryan gets dropped and Anasta doesn't make it , the last thing we need is injuries from rep games.

smarty

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think rooney should stay. they should get rid of kimmorley though for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.