Origin heading to Radelaide in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Jokes about Adelaide aside, I think this is a great idea. I don;t see why, say, every three years, a new city sees origin action, including cities in Asia/Pacific etc.

Adelaide Oval to host rugby league’s State of Origin showpiece in 2020
ADELAIDE is set to play host to rugby league’s showpiece event — State of Origin — in an historic first.

Matt Heath, Rob Greenwood
The AdvertiserFEBRUARY 14, 201812:42PM

ADELAIDE Oval is set to play host to rugby league’s showpiece event — State of Origin — in an historic first.

State Tourism Minister Leon Bignell confirmed on Wednesday morning Adelaide will for the first time host a match in the best-of-three series between Queensland Maroons and New South Wales Blues in 2020.

Speaking at the announcement at the oval, Mr Bignell said SA would host game one or two of the series as a stand-alone event on a Sunday.

He said the event would generate $15 million for the SA economy and expected 30 per cent of the oval’s 53,500 capacity to be filled by interstate fans.

“This will be a sell out,” Mr Bignell said.

“This is one of the biggest coos we’ve ever pulled off getting State of Origin to Adelaide in 2020.

“Everyone in Australia knows this is one of the biggest rivalries in sport, not just in Australia but around the world, when New South Wales and Queensland go head-to-head.

“Rugby league is moving the game around and we’re delighted to have got in there and won this race, not just for South Australia, but the people who will come here (from interstate).”

Mr Bignell said the State Government would begin discussions about fitting the weekend match into the AFL fixture given the State of Origin is generally played in June-July.

He would not reveal how much the government paid to attract the event, but said it would deliver a “very, very healthy return on investment”.

“We don’t sign up for things that are going to be loss-makers,” Bignell said.

“We go out there to attract the very best events in the world and in Australia to be here in South Australia.

“It’s also where we get to showcase the wonderful Adelaide Oval.

“It’s like a giant advertisement that will be beaming out around Australia and some parts of the world as well.”

Lord Mayor Martin Haese said the city looked forward to welcoming rugby league fans from across Australia in 2020.

“The State Government’s certainly scored a try and converted on this one,” Mr Haese said. “It’s a major coup for the city, and we look forward to seeing a sea of maroon and blue on our streets.

“Events of this stature have a fantastic flow-on effect for the city as fans from interstate fill our hotel rooms and spend money in our great bars and eateries.”

The National Rugby League has made regular visits to Adelaide since the demise of the Adelaide Rams Super League team in 1998.

Last year a crowd of more than 21,000 watched the high-profile Sydney Roosters beat Melbourne Storm in an enthralling contest at the Oval.

This year the Oval will be the setting for one of the most anticipated games of the 2018 NRL season when new Rooster Cooper Cronk faces his old club and reigning premier Melbourne Storm on June 29.

Mr Bignell in 2016 signalled his intentions to win a State of Origin match at Adelaide Oval, saying there was “no better rivalry in Australian sport” and that it would “lift the roof off the Oval”.

The State of Origin series will return for a game in Melbourne this year after attracting a whopping 91,513 fans in 2015 and has also fixtured a game at Perth’s new Optus Stadium next year.

Precise

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Is this a complete fucking piss take at this point?

2015 - 1 Melbourne game. QLD Territory
2016 - 2 NSW games NSW Territory
2017 - 2 QLD games. QLD Territory
2018 - 1 Melbourne game. QLD Territory
2019 - 1 Perth game.
2020 - 1 Adelaide game.
2021 - 2 QLD games. QLD Territory

So in 7 fucking years. We get only one series with 2 games in NSW? If they don't change the 2022 locations. Grow the game by what ever means but is this QLD v NSW or not?

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

2019 - 1 Perth game. Fuck Perth, literally why.
2020 - 1 Adelaide game. Fuck Adelaide, literally why part 2.

So in 7 FUCKING YEARS. We get only one series with 2 games in NSW?
ANZ is being knocked down so the NRL is taking it on the road. Nothing wrong with growing the game. I've already got tickets for MCG this year and where ever they take it I will get tickets for there as well. You're talking about maybe 20,000 fans who are displaced. The 3 million who watch it at home won't give a continental.

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
ANZ is being knocked down so the NRL is taking it on the road. Nothing wrong with growing the game. I've already got tickets for MCG this year and where ever they take it I will get tickets for there as well. You're talking about maybe 20,000 fans who are displaced. The 3 million who watch it at home won't give a continental.
I wonder what will the game be played at Perth? Isn't it a 2 hours time difference.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I wonder what will the game be played at Perth? Isn't it a 2 hours time difference.
Yep, but probably a Sunday night now they have changed the scheduling. So play it at 6pm over there and its 8pm here. Everyones a winner.....

Precise

Kennel Established
Reaction score
And where will it be hosted for the one game a year, Parra? aren't Allianz and ANZ coming down in succession so we still have a stadium for major football events? I think more than 20,000 NSW fans attend the NSW games usually around 3/4 of the stadium at 80,000 capacity.

The NRL should be rewarding the people who actual attend local games and are the majority who attend origin instead of pandering to the millions on TV who only tune in for that one game a year, If they want to grow the game in these areas throw them a team in adelaide and perth something they can have passion for and want to get behind. Not cheering for another state, personally something I could never get behind if the rolls where reversed.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I'd prefer if they ditched Origin and instead held like a Challenge Cup / 9s style football weekend.

A chance for teams to win more prize money or something, or younger players to show their talents.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Dont care where its played QLD will smash the fuck out of NSW!!!....................................wait for it......

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd prefer if they ditched Origin and instead held like a Challenge Cup / 9s style football weekend.

A chance for teams to win more prize money or something, or younger players to show their talents.
Ditch ORIGIN!!!!! FUCK THAT......Spoken like a true blues supporter lol

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

2019 - 1 Perth game.
2020 - 1 Adelaide game.

So in 7 fucking years. We get only one series with 2 games in NSW? If they don't change the 2022 locations. Grow the game by what ever means but is this QLD v NSW or not?
Why are you surprised? Haven't you noticed all the NSW players who play for QLD anyway? It's obvious Origin is made for QLD to win... every fkn year.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

So you want to ditch a consistant TV Ratings winner and money maker for something that has been proven time and time again to make no money or get interest from fans?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
So you want to ditch a consistant TV Ratings winner and money maker for something that has been proven time and time again to make no money or get interest from fans?
TV ratings winner for 9 .... but nobody watches Ch9 these days! People are watching FTA less and less each year.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
TV ratings winner for 9 .... but nobody watches Ch9 these days! People are watching FTA less and less each year.
I watch less and less tv each year - which is a reason NOT to sign up to Foxtel, Netflix or any other streaming service.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
"growing the game" is a load of B.S. The storm have been here close to 20 yrs and have contributed nothing, they just farm QLD

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Origin footy is gimmicky shit. They can play it in my toilet bowl if they like!

Adelaide isn’t that interesting though. Take it yo Antarctica. Penguins need sport too.

Status
Not open for further replies.