Opinion Opinions on new coaches

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not sure if he would be interested, but I would make serious inquiries about the following man with the following history

- Dual winning Bulldogs Premiership Player

- NRL Premiership Winning Coach

- The Brains behind QLD record winning streak

MICHAEL HAGAN

If not for head coach, then perhaps in a major supporting or mentoring role for all things coaching regarding our first grade team.

You want Bulldogs credentials, he's got em. He's also a proven winner.
Good post. I think the issue with Hages though is he hasn’t coached at the top level for 10 years and when he gave it away he sighted health reasons as one reason for stopping. As you say though could definitely make a quality mentor or assistant - certainly has the credentials.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fitzgibbon head coach and Cooper Cronk assistant please. Open the war chest !

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about Kevin Walters
I'd seriously consider him, if he could guarantee the signature of David Fafita, Payne Haas and Katoni Staggs from his connection of I believe he has from coaching them as juniors.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Good post. I think the issue with Hages though is he hasn’t coached at the top level for 10 years and when he gave it away he sighted health reasons as one reason for stopping. As you say though could definitely make a quality mentor or assistant - certainly has the credentials.
Don't live in newy anymore but use to see him around a fair bit. Seems well connected in the hunter so would be hard to ever see him leave. Especially with his health reasons as you mentioned.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Don't live in newy anymore but use to see him around a fair bit. Seems well connected in the hunter so would be hard to ever see him leave. Especially with his health reasons as you mentioned.
He actually bought my childhood home at one point though don’t know how long he stayed there. Hages was a favourite of mine particularly for his try in the 1988 GF. I was at the game and we went ballistic with this one let alone at full time. Assume you’ve seen this, but check out the clip from 6:55 if you’re keen:

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Let's get seibold in!!!
Good attacking coach...look at Broncos attack recently. Not great defensive coach...look at Broncos defence. How the fuck would this turkey be any better than Pay?

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
There should only be 3 contenders for our next coach.

Cooper Cronk, Craig Fitzgibbon & Jason Ryles.

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good attacking coach...look at Broncos attack recently. Not great defensive coach...look at Broncos defence. How the fuck would this turkey be any better than Pay?
the comment was sarcastic

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Battlers eye Bennett
South Sydney officials are privately bracing for the possibility of Wayne Bennett receiving an offer to link with St George Illawarra or Canterbury in the coming weeks.

Bennett still has another year to run on his deal with the Bunnies before Jason Demetriou takes over, but a three-year offer to extend his coaching career elsewhere could leave both Bennett and the club with some food for thought. The whispers linking England coach Shaun Wane to the Bulldogs job also won’t go away.

With Wigan’s Luke Thompson on his way to the club next year, and John Bateman on their radar, the Bulldogs have the chance to build an English empire similar to those at South Sydney and Canberra in recent years.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/the-search-is-over-nrl-has-found-its-next-ceo-20200607-p5509y.html