News Online bullying

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
A very relevant topic in todays society unfortunately. I thought they’d get more power in light of media attention from Erin Molan, Anthony Seibold etc but I’ll always support free speech within reason too. We are lucky to live in a reasonably “free” country like Australia and shouldn’t take it for granted. Please don’t call me an ugly cow though ok

Only the most serious of abusive posts’ captured by adult cyber abuse scheme

Only the most serious abusive online content will be subject to new take down powers handed to the eSafety commissioner, with name-calling and character attacks unlikely to be captured under the adult cyber abuse scheme.

Online abuse will need to meet a threshold of intending to cause serious harm and be “menacing, harassing or offensive in all the circumstances” before the eSafety Commissioner can order it be taken down under the new scheme, which comes into effect on January 23.

eSafety Commissioner Julie Inman Grant said the bar for determining what constituted adult cyber abuse had been set deliberately high.
Calling someone a “ugly cow”, a “lying bigot”, accusing them of being a paedophile or using violent language such as “I hope you get bashed” are among the examples of abuse that will not meet threshold contained in new regulatory guidance on how the scheme will operate.

Calling someone a “ugly cow”, a “lying bigot”, accusing them of being a paedophile or using violent language such as “I hope you get bashed” are among the examples of abuse that will not meet threshold contained in new regulatory guidance on how the scheme will operate.
The eSafety Commissioner, Julie Inman Grant, who will release the guidance on Thursday, said the bar for determining what constituted adult cyber abuse had been set deliberately high, to ensure it did not stifle freedom of speech.

“We are talking here about the most serious of abusive posts, intended to cause serious psychological or physical harm,” said Ms Inman Grant.
“Serious harm could include material which sets out realistic threats, places people in real danger, is excessively malicious or is unrelenting.”

The types of cyber abuse captured by the scheme includes posts, comments, emails, messages, memes, images and videos.

The scheme will allow adults to report instances of serious online abuse to the eSafety Commissioner, who can then issue a take down notice to the online platform. The platform will have 24 hours to comply, with companies facing fines of up to $555,000 if they fail to act.

Federal Communications Minister Paul Fletcher said the scheme represented an expansion of the eSafety Commissioner’s remit from tackling cyber-bullying of children to adults “to make sure all Australians can access support when things go wrong online”.

The guidance makes clear that the eSafety Commissioner’s removal powers only come into effect if a complaint has been made directly to an online service provider and they have failed to remove the material.
It also outlines that serious harm includes psychological harm and distress “that goes beyond mere ordinary emotional reactions such as those of only distress, grief, fear or anger”. The eSafety Commissioner will consider each complaint on a case-by-case basis, with no limit to the factors that may be considered.

For content to meet the threshold of offensiveness it will need to be “likely to cause significant anger, significant resentment, outrage, disgust, or hatred” and do “more than simply hurt or wound a person’s feelings”.

The scheme does not cover defamatory material that causes purely reputational harm.

Content that will capture attention includes “doxing”, which is defined as revealing personal information to deliberately make someone feel unsafe, encouraging violence against someone including self harm, and posts aimed at generating “pile-on” attacks against people.

The commissioner will also look for behaviour which is aimed at targeting a known vulnerability of a person, with the guidance citing as an example evidence that a person has targeted someone with the intention to worsen their mental wellbeing while being aware of their mental health history.

The age of the person posting the content will be considered as a potential mitigating factor, but will not definitively rule out seeking take down action, the guidance states.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I think that what's more important is teaching children in schools to be very discreet about who they are on the internet - for example:
  • Don't use your actual name in a chat room or message board
  • Don't post actual photos of yourself
  • Don't ever disclose your bank details
  • Don't ever give your address or phone number etc...
The sad fact is that internet trolls and bullies are more common than actual criminals, so it's best to just let them have a go at you, DON'T REACT (they're baiting you for a reaction), and let the baby have it's bottle. More importantly, don't take it personally, because the trolls don't know you personally.

Be safe out there everyone.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think that what's more important is teaching children in schools to be very discreet about who they are on the internet - for example:
The sad fact is that internet trolls and bullies are more common than actual criminals, so it's best to just let them have a go at you, DON'T REACT (they're baiting you for a reaction), and let the baby have it's bottle. More importantly, don't take it personally, because the trolls don't know you personally.

You are right and those basic skills and information need to be taught in schools and also to the elderly. I can’t stand cowards though and find it hard not to respond

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So, if I understand calling someone an ugly cow, a paedo, a lying bigot, and threatening to bash someone isn't deemed bad enough for action?

Fair enough. It's a murky world this internet trolling / bullying and I think they should've perhaps drawn a stricter line?

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Buts i have a lovely mustache
images.jpeg-389.jpg

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
So, if I understand calling someone an ugly cow, a paedo, a lying bigot, and threatening to bash someone isn't deemed bad enough for action?

Fair enough. It's a murky world this internet trolling / bullying and I think they should've perhaps drawn a stricter line?
They’ve always been a toothless tiger and I’ve personally laughed when people wanted to report minor things to them but as I said I did think their powers would’ve been increased. You must have to threaten someone’s life and post their address to qualify

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As someone that's never had faceache, twitter, intsa, or any other social media account.....................................................life is pretty peaceful
On that train too and its a nice trip I agree..

Though I did just get called a schmuck by a Cotric hater :disrelieved: bahaha...
May have a point but I give it back to "shim" in spades is fuckknuckle on the bullying list? :tearsofjoy:

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

Till this day I am known as Thomas Ayrie for everything online or doesn't need ID proof.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
A very relevant topic in todays society unfortunately. I thought they’d get more power in light of media attention from Erin Molan, Anthony Seibold etc but I’ll always support free speech within reason too. We are lucky to live in a reasonably “free” country like Australia and shouldn’t take it for granted. Please don’t call me an ugly cow though ok

Only the most serious of abusive posts’ captured by adult cyber abuse scheme

Only the most serious abusive online content will be subject to new take down powers handed to the eSafety commissioner, with name-calling and character attacks unlikely to be captured under the adult cyber abuse scheme.

Online abuse will need to meet a threshold of intending to cause serious harm and be “menacing, harassing or offensive in all the circumstances” before the eSafety Commissioner can order it be taken down under the new scheme, which comes into effect on January 23.

eSafety Commissioner Julie Inman Grant said the bar for determining what constituted adult cyber abuse had been set deliberately high.

The eSafety Commissioner, Julie Inman Grant, who will release the guidance on Thursday, said the bar for determining what constituted adult cyber abuse had been set deliberately high, to ensure it did not stifle freedom of speech.

“We are talking here about the most serious of abusive posts, intended to cause serious psychological or physical harm,” said Ms Inman Grant.
“Serious harm could include material which sets out realistic threats, places people in real danger, is excessively malicious or is unrelenting.”

The types of cyber abuse captured by the scheme includes posts, comments, emails, messages, memes, images and videos.

The scheme will allow adults to report instances of serious online abuse to the eSafety Commissioner, who can then issue a take down notice to the online platform. The platform will have 24 hours to comply, with companies facing fines of up to $555,000 if they fail to act.

Federal Communications Minister Paul Fletcher said the scheme represented an expansion of the eSafety Commissioner’s remit from tackling cyber-bullying of children to adults “to make sure all Australians can access support when things go wrong online”.

The guidance makes clear that the eSafety Commissioner’s removal powers only come into effect if a complaint has been made directly to an online service provider and they have failed to remove the material.
It also outlines that serious harm includes psychological harm and distress “that goes beyond mere ordinary emotional reactions such as those of only distress, grief, fear or anger”. The eSafety Commissioner will consider each complaint on a case-by-case basis, with no limit to the factors that may be considered.

For content to meet the threshold of offensiveness it will need to be “likely to cause significant anger, significant resentment, outrage, disgust, or hatred” and do “more than simply hurt or wound a person’s feelings”.

The scheme does not cover defamatory material that causes purely reputational harm.

Content that will capture attention includes “doxing”, which is defined as revealing personal information to deliberately make someone feel unsafe, encouraging violence against someone including self harm, and posts aimed at generating “pile-on” attacks against people.

The commissioner will also look for behaviour which is aimed at targeting a known vulnerability of a person, with the guidance citing as an example evidence that a person has targeted someone with the intention to worsen their mental wellbeing while being aware of their mental health history.

The age of the person posting the content will be considered as a potential mitigating factor, but will not definitively rule out seeking take down action, the guidance states.
You forgot that the COVID 19 Debates Here Only thread has exemption.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It's always a mixed bag for me. I tend to go for the thick skinned approach. If you can't handle banter online then you're not going to handle real life very well.

That said, bullying can become extreme. There's bullies that stalk people online and hound them constantly. Making fake accounts to spam them. Making up bullshit about them and spreading it online. Constantly harassing them every chance they get.

Banter is fine, but when it becomes cyber bullying then it's a major problem. It's quite common that a victim of online bullying ends up taking their own life. And it's not because someone picked on them a few times. It's usually because every time they go online, they have the same group of people stalking and harassing them to the point that they can't open Facebook or any social media without being harassed.

Many will say, "Then just get rid of social media", but now days that's like saying, "Just don't go outside the house"

Social media is the lifeblood of young people. If you can't go on social media then you may as well be a hermit living in a dark space cut off from all society.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
This is the problem many don't get. Online bullying is often worse than old school playground bullying, because it's deeply psychological and it's easy to invade a person's entire existence.

Beat someone up everytime you see them in the playground and you'll impact them maybe once per day. Invade their online space and you can impact a majority of their existence 24/7

I blame companies like Facebook for a lot of this. The whole thing about social media is that you can be anonymous. Facebook started enforcing using real names. Any person who doesn't want their one main account compromised is forced to use their real name. But a bully can make 20 fake accounts and use those accounts to harass the one real account. It's a massive backfire for Facebook.

Cyber bullying laws will be the only thing that will have a real impact.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
This is the problem many don't get. Online bullying is often worse than old school playground bullying, because it's deeply psychological and it's easy to invade a person's entire existence.

Beat someone up everytime you see them in the playground and you'll impact them maybe once per day. Invade their online space and you can impact a majority of their existence 24/7

I blame companies like Facebook for a lot of this. The whole thing about social media is that you can be anonymous. Facebook started enforcing using real names. Any person who doesn't want their one main account compromised is forced to use their real name. But a bully can make 20 fake accounts and use those accounts to harass the one real account. It's a massive backfire for Facebook.

Cyber bullying laws will be the only thing that will have a real impact.
Maybe I'm old but thats weak ass Hacky. Unlike the playground where you have to be daily, if you're copping it on FB whatever, turn it off. Do you really have to have social media?

Disclaimer. No FB, twitter et. al. Not even on linked in. But also was told someone went to town on me once on FB as a kids cricket coach. Did the old school thing, just told them they were a fckwit at the next cricket game. Simples.....

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe I'm old but thats weak ass Hacky. Unlike the playground where you have to be daily, if you're copping it on FB whatever, turn it off. Do you really have to have social media?

Disclaimer. No FB, twitter et. al. Not even on linked in. But also was told someone went to town on me once on FB as a kids cricket coach. Did the old school thing, just told them they were a fckwit at the next cricket game. Simples.....
Yep. It's 'cause you're old.

I'm old too but I know a lot about modern social structures. Now days if you're a kid who's not on social media, it's akin to our days when you had the pasty kid who couldn't play sports, and had zero friends. If a kid isn't on social media then they literally have no friends.

But it's worse than that as teachers incorporate social media and other online stuff into their learning. So for ostracised kids, they can't even participate in study without being harassed.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Yep. It's 'cause you're old.

I'm old too but I know a lot about modern social structures. Now days if you're a kid who's not on social media, it's akin to our days when you had the pasty kid who couldn't play sports, and had zero friends. If a kid isn't on social media then they literally have no friends.

But it's worse than that as teachers incorporate social media and other online stuff into their learning. So for ostracised kids, they can't even participate in study without being harassed.
well, after the infamous Bonnet Bay Public School instagram incident, my kid hasn't had social media. 16 yrs old. His social network is on gaming and he has plenty of friends that he meets in the bathroom daily with his ipad. For 40 mins at a time. I think he's well balanced.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The other thing about Facebook etc is that what might begin with one person with a grudge, can quickly escalate with trolls that aren't even emotionally involved wanting to join in for no other reason than to upset someone

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
The other thing about Facebook etc is that what might begin with one person with a grudge, can quickly escalate with trolls that aren't even emotionally involved wanting to join in for no other reason than to upset someone
alan this is the first post i have read of yours because it is 2 lines long instead of 200 lines long, well done

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
well, after the infamous Bonnet Bay Public School instagram incident, my kid hasn't had social media. 16 yrs old. His social network is on gaming and he has plenty of friends that he meets in the bathroom daily with his ipad. For 40 mins at a time. I think he's well balanced.
That works too. Fortnite gaming groups. But they can lead to bullying as well.