News One big missing piece of the puzzle for Canterbury Bulldogs, Andrew Johns says

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
I'm always hopeful that Andrew Johns will write an article about something that he specialized in. We need an article about how to be a highly visible public figure in an industry where regular drug tests are conducted and how to get away withbreaking those rules. Write that up Joey, could earn you your pulitzer prize.
Pinger was quoted as saying that he felt like he had more time than other players and felt he was a step ahead of them.

No doubt he was a great player, but for all we know he could have been on the gear his entire career.

And if it made him play the game better, it sounds like the E was a performance enhancing drug and therefore illegal.

But as you pointed out, he went his whole career without getting busted for it.

His drug use whilst playing only came to light after he retired.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We actually lost 7 games by 12 points or less. Our go forward was pretty poor but I think the biggest issue was the finish to our sets. Our end of sets were really poor, especially in the opposition 20m. We rarely built pressure, repeat sets etc, and would typically run 4 one out hit ups and then a poor chip on the last. If we just had that halfback who could direct play and kick decently we may have won a few more games. For example,
against the raiders when we lost by 2.. the game was in the bag until the last 15 mins but we had no one to stand up and close it out. Probably still wouldn’t have made the finals, but it did take only 22 points to finish in 8th spot this season (previously been 28 points for 8th spot)
Exactly right. TBaz said numerous times throughout the year the lack of polish at the end of our sets killed us. That's where Flanagan what's terrible and couldn't finish off our sets with the appropriate kick. It's so important these days

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There were quite a few games where a better hooker half or a non cooked backrower would have definitely helped

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay so if we're that desperate for a half, thoughts on widdop? Wanted to come back to Australia? Or One of the halves from St Helens is good as well or James Maloney?

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly right. TBaz said numerous times throughout the year the lack of polish at the end of our sets killed us. That's where Flanagan what's terrible and couldn't finish off our sets with the appropriate kick. It's so important these days
Flanagan isn’t alone unfortunately. Everyone we have our roster for the 7 jersey don’t know how to finish off sets.

A lot of that is a natural skill most halves have from a young age. Which is refined by coaching.

Having a former representative half as the coach I would think he could get more out of these guys.

If not employed a Joey, Matty or Cronk type person a few hours a week to work with them. Particularly BBO we would see a lot of this fixed.

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Averilo will be a very good player,but at this stage he’s not the type to lead us around the park,I would have him on the bench,and play dufty at half,he played a lot of his junior football there,and would give us some great attacking options.
I like that idea. Plenty of speed too.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Why does everyone think we've signed Matt burton to play second fiddle at five eight?

He'll be playing halfback

JAYDOG

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Why does everyone think we've signed Matt burton to play second fiddle at five eight?

He'll be playing halfback
I guess only Bazz has the answer to that mate.Personally i think Burton is an out & out Number 6

HippDogg

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
There is no kimmorely, Maloney type players on the market!!! Green was the poor man option last year and now his retired….Simple as that a good half is hot property I was even clutching onto straws a Croft or taylor was bein successful on second comings but squeezed out by recruitment which has never eventuated……. Our best hope is getting Hodgson from Canberra and make our focus from hooker not half for experience and hope he leads some creative playmakers the right way whether that be burton and Averillo/bbo

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I guess only Bazz has the answer to that mate.Personally i think Burton is an out & out Number 6
We've pinned our hopes on him as a marquee player.

Hes not here to play second fiddle. He will be halfback

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree Burton is an out and out 6.

He will play 6.

He isn’t a halfback and to think we don’t have an experienced 7 as a foil for Burton to do what Burton does. I fear his impact will be hampered considerably.

childofglossop

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think Joey was talking about next season regarding what he said about Cleary and making the 8. That's the impression I got when I watched the video this was taken from a few days ago.
I agree with you jof after watching that clip. A literal reading of the transcript seems to suggest he means “if Cleary’s in the team, the Dogs make the 21 top 8”.

However the stronger inference is that he is referring to the 22 top 8, as several other comments allude to this (references to their strong recruitment, only need a top class halfback to make the 8 next year).

But geez Joey…I wouldn’t want you to be my accountant…you’d be screwing up my tax return! (“2021? 2022? Ah, who gives a shit!”)

Reactions: jof

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tomorrow's Headline" Bulldogs chase Cleary".
Knock yourself out Rothfield.

Bigmous

on the loose
Premium Member
Reaction score
neither was Hughes at 2 previous clubs, he needs time thats all.
Neither was Cronk. Took them both to 2-3 years to master their craft. I wouldn’t be surprised if Averillo has a big jump next year. Surrounding him with quality, good go forward, strike out wide and the added experience will immensely help and increase the potency of his running game…Not to mention a full off season working on his kicking and organising alongside Burton will do him a world of good.

Hoping he learns how to torpedo kick like Burton too! Excited!

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I really don't know how the 8th is so insightful. What a legend.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pretty much every team not in the top four needs a new halfback. There are less and less good halves available these days. Which is why signing Burton was so important.

I'm happy to let Burton be the dominant half and partner him with Averillo/Wakeham/BBO rather than sign someone for the sake of it that wouldn't be a huge upgrade on those guys anyway..
That's how Gould and Barrett feel too. The good halves are tied up. Pearce, Fogarty, Taylor, Norman, Marshall are available but what do they bring? We'd need to shop a few players first. There's little doubt that one of Averillo, Flanagan, Wakeham or BBO will really mature quickly into a good halfback given the talent they've got assembled around them and with the expectation that the dymanism of Barrett as a halves attacking coach will devise suitable structures and plans to utilise our attacking threats.