Opinion Okunbor

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Some people are questioning his defense but over the past 3 games he's made 53 tackles & only missed 2. That's not a bad rate.
He's been surprisingly solid in his role and again, credit to him.. But the lack of missed tackles doesn't mean his defence has been great.

He still doesn't make good initial contact, jersey grabs, gives up a lot of quick play the balls and post contact metres because his technique is sloppy. It's why he had a legit hip drop charge against him. Often teammates have to come in to help him finish the tackle.

He's only new to the forwards, so I'm not trying to be overly critical but it's something he needs to keep working on as he gets used to that role. I'm sure they're working with him constantly on his technique.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He's been surprisingly solid in his role and again, credit to him.. But the lack of missed tackles doesn't mean his defence has been great.

He still doesn't make good initial contact, jersey grabs, gives up a lot of quick play the balls and post contact metres because his technique is sloppy. It's why he had a legit hip drop charge against him. Often teammates have to come in to help him finish the tackle.

He's only new to the forwards, so I'm not trying to be overly critical but it's something he needs to keep working on as he gets used to that role. I'm sure they're working with him constantly on his technique.
Even with everything that you’ve said he’s still been better than Waddell the past 3 games & Waddell has been playing in the forwards his entire career. I’m not arguing for Okunbor over Cameron Murray. It’s out of Okunbor or Waddell.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Even with everything that you’ve said he’s still been better than Waddell the past 3 games & Waddell has been playing in the forwards his entire career. I’m not arguing for Okunbor over Cameron Murray. It’s out of Okunbor or Waddell.
Yeah you'll get no argument from me on Waddell. I hope he isn't re-signed. He was playing okay in the middle this year where he's always been more effective. Whenever he's on the edge he's a disaster with all of his errors and penalties.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nah.

ATM I think Okunbor is best suited coming off the bench at about the 20min mark.

Maybe in the future but right now I think he plays a role perfectly suited to him.
Imagine he had the heart of kiraz

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score

Im not trying to be over critical

but

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Im not trying to be over critical

but

There's a difference between criticism and observation or constructive criticism. I've credited him numerous times in this thread for the things he's doing well. There are still things he needs to work on. Or do you think he's the perfect, complete player?

It's not like I said, he's been shit, he'll never make it as a forward, he fluked one good game or didn't do much for his try like others have.

Foxalldayeveryday

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Waddles hasn't been as bad as previous years but sure as shit he was that bad today...

If all personnel were fit to pick, I wouldn't be picking him at all.
Not as bad but has doubled giving stupid penalties away every game. Guaranteed 2 a game these days.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He is playing as a middle forward. Completely different to backrow. He doesn’t have skill to run decoy lines, make defensive decisions, etc.

Catch ball. Run ball. Tackle.

Good boy Jayden
Did you see some of the lines he ran against the warriors? He ran a good line and scored a try of a Burton short ball. Looks better suited to that right edge and with kiks gone he’d be the better option over Waddell.

Foxalldayeveryday

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who’d have thought this wingnut would provide some kind of happiness for the fans.I didn’t get excited when he scored because I was convinced he would have knocked it on.
I think we all did. He game has been simplified so seeing better results on the field.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I still think the game vs Souths 2020 was Okunbor's best ever game, and it will be pretty hard to top... EVER.

He played out of his skin, and was a BIG PART in helping us avoid the spoon and hand it to the Broncos.

Even the refs were pathetic in this game giving Souths and obvious no try.

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
There's a difference between criticism and observation or constructive criticism. I've credited him numerous times in this thread for the things he's doing well. There are still things he needs to work on. Or do you think he's the perfect, complete player?

It's not like I said, he's been shit, he'll never make it as a forward, he fluked one good game or didn't do much for his try like others have.
His been close to our best all season

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
With Flanno gone and Ox playing well off the bench . . . Who will the haters target next

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Like it’s insane Okunbur and Haze are playing at the same 2/10 level and only one is coming under criticism