Okunbor

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Id rather Teimis and Okunbour tbh. Reimis has been reasonably good the past 2 weeks. Scored a good leaping try against the tigpes. Two tall wingers is a god idea.
I’m hoping DWZ being dropped is the kick in the ass he needs and starts getting back to 2019 form. DWZ and Okunbor on the wings.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m assuming he will be coming in.... how do you think he would go lol, hopefully he can redeem himself and repay the club
Dwz,and okunbor were both disasters,under the high balls,hopefully if he sorts that out,he could be a real bonus with his hard running.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He should go ok. May as well give him a run an test him.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’m assuming he will be coming in.... how do you think he would go lol, hopefully he can redeem himself and repay the club
Might as well play him. He runs in & lets the opposition winger scores tries, but so does every other winger in our club. At least if he plays, he can get our sets off to a good start & will get involved in games & not wait for the ball to come to him.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I created a thread at the beginning of the year asking who we all thought were going to have breakout years. Okunbour was one of mine. So personally, i really want to see him succeed. Playing this year would certainly help. If he can improve in some areas like ball handling and defense, he could be a weapon for us. The big tall winger we have needed for years.
Let's hope he gets a run.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How about you go watch the games and see how he made the metres instead of being a flop. Okunbor makes more metres than any of our wingers by a mile. He would double up on Reimis smith and Meaney. Those blokes get rag dolled
making double the metres of Meaney will never be an achivement

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Personally I don't think meaney is a winger ,can't get on the outside always ducking back in
That has alot to do with our terrible players inside him. If he backed himself and got launched over the sideline everyone would still shit on him.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Personally I don't think meaney is a winger ,can't get on the outside always ducking back in
He's looked really good at fullback and improved as a winger. I think he deserved to hold onto the fullback jersey.

Okunbor has plenty of upside, but also has some issues. If he's able to get his defence and ball handling up to standard he's going to be a good winger. It's possible that the current staff will be harbouring some ill will about the early season antics though. Wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't get a run this year.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's looked really good at fullback and improved as a winger. I think he deserved to hold onto the fullback jersey.

Okunbor has plenty of upside, but also has some issues. If he's able to get his defence and ball handling up to standard he's going to be a good winger. It's possible that the current staff will be harbouring some ill will about the early season antics though. Wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't get a run this year.
I agree re Meaney. He is either our fullback or not in the side.

One of our problems the last few years is that we dont have much power in our outside backs when we are trying to get out of trouble. Look at what happened on the weekend. For about 6 or 7 straight sets when we led 14-6 we failed to make it past the 30 metre line. Subsequently we kept giving the warriors good field position and chances to attack. That was the main reason for the loss.

Look at the good teams and the work their back 5 do when getting out of trouble. The roosters have guys like Tupou and the Morris boys. Parra have Fergo, Sivo and Blake. The Panthers and Raiders also have big powerful outside backs. We have absolute powderpuffs. Holland, Montoya and Meaney get smashed every time. Hoppa and Lafai are not as bad but they still dont make the metres like the outside backs in the top teams do.

Last year when DWZ played like a madman we were getting our sets off to a decent start. We could finally get out of our own end and get on a bit of a roll. That hasnt happened this year. Next year we should improve if our back 5 looks something like :

Meaney/Averillo
Okonbur
Hopoate
Cotric
DWZ

Averillo isnt a centre and Meaney isnt a winger. I think they duke it out for the number 1

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree re Meaney. He is either our fullback or not in the side.

One of our problems the last few years is that we dont have much power in our outside backs when we are trying to get out of trouble. Look at what happened on the weekend. For about 6 or 7 straight sets when we led 14-6 we failed to make it past the 30 metre line. Subsequently we kept giving the warriors good field position and chances to attack. That was the main reason for the loss.

Look at the good teams and the work their back 5 do when getting out of trouble. The roosters have guys like Tupou and the Morris boys. Parra have Fergo, Sivo and Blake. The Panthers and Raiders also have big powerful outside backs. We have absolute powderpuffs. Holland, Montoya and Meaney get smashed every time. Hoppa and Lafai are not as bad but they still dont make the metres like the outside backs in the top teams do.

Last year when DWZ played like a madman we were getting our sets off to a decent start. We could finally get out of our own end and get on a bit of a roll. That hasnt happened this year. Next year we should improve if our back 5 looks something like :

Meaney/Averillo
Okonbur
Hopoate
Cotric
DWZ

Averillo isnt a centre and Meaney isnt a winger. I think they duke it out for the number 1
Averillo has a lot of work to do on his defence still. I'd give him some time in the lower grades if he hasn't bulked up a bit by next season.

ricko_29

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks disinterested most of the time, the look on his face when we conceed a try and it's his fault rubs me the wrong way, just blank, emotionless, and that comes across to me that he doesn't care.

I don't doubt he has skill, to me it seems like he doesn't talk with his defensive partners when it matters most, and that's why we see so many tries scored on his side when he plays.

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you think he has learnt how to catch yet?