Okunbor progression pleases Dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2018/03/18/okunbor-progression-pleases-dogs/

As the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs picked up their first win of the new Intrust Super Premiership NSW season, the performance of centre-turned-forward Jayden Okunbor was a standout feature.

The 21-year-old scored a try and set one up in the 30-14 victory over the Warriors in Auckland, earning praise from coach Steve Georgallis in the process.

Post-match, Georgallis told NSWRL.com.au that the most-pleasing aspect of Okunbor’s game had been his ability to push through fatigue and play the full 80 minutes – in just his second game as a starting second-rower at Intrust Super Premiership NSW level.

"Last week we took him off because he was really blowing, he’s not used to playing in the second row because he was a centre in the ’20s, so he struggled a bit last week" Georgallis said.

"Against the Warriors we saw he was struggling again at the 25-minute mark, but at the time we didn’t really want to interchange him. He got through it and with five minutes to go before the half he got his second wind, and in the second half he just exploded into life."

"I was really happy for him, and it just goes to show he can play the 80 minutes out."

"He’s got a lot to learn as a forward, especially in the defensive part… but the attack side of the game, I think he is probably in front of where I thought he would be in his progression. I’m looking forward to seeing him go through the grades.”

With the Bulldogs trailing 8-4 at the break, Okunbor played a key role in sparking a second-half revival which saw the visitors outscore the Warriors 26 points to six and register a comfortable victory.

After setting centre John Olive free for a long-range run to the line minutes into the second period, Okunbor scored one of his own a short time later after charging down a Mason Lino kick and booting the ball 30 metres downfield for himself.

"I was pretty disappointed with my first half, so I knew that I had to make up for it" Okunbor said.

"I saw Mason coming up and that he was going for a 40/20. I got my arm to it but I couldn’t get it on the first bounce so kicked it, I was lucky to get it down in the end. But I’m really happy… we knew we had to bounce back this week. Wins in Auckland [are worth a bit more], and if you can win here you can win anywhere really, so to get it done today the way we did, I’m really happy."

Reactions: GDR

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Hopefully he keeps working hard and continues to develop his game, especially his defence. People can say what they want about him not deserving to be there or whatever, but on his day he can be the best player on the field.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
That quote from Okunbor is something our first grade side should read, study, understand, and act upon.

Not sure his best position as he's been played everywhere from centre/wing/fullback to prop and second row.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The club obviously sees something in him and at least yesterday he played a good game. Needs work on the defensive part of his game but I have seen him score some super tries albeit in the 20's. Now he needs to really lift to go toe to toe with the big boys each week. To me he is very tall for a backrow forward and it looks really awkward when he packs into a scrum but hey who am I to judge.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I watched him closely in the sunny coast trial. He moves well, has good game awarenes and on field presence. Lots of upside.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He looked good. Yeah Nsw cup but he looked a class above the rest in that game. Has a good little pass too.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Hopefully he keeps working hard and continues to develop his game, especially his defence. People can say what they want about him not deserving to be there or whatever, but on his day he can be the best player on the field.
fix his tackling technique (no arm grabbing) and fine tuning his passing and hes good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.