Okunbor/CHN megathread

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
And??
It shouldn’t be tolerated..
I keep hearing ‘but it wasn’t illegal’..completely irrelevant..
They participated in something that is against club and code policy..end of!!
The 2 of them should be willing to get out on that field with the teammates they let down,and play for the club they let down financially as well as morally..
CHN is pissed off..AT WHAT??
Does he need the club to hold his hand?
He did wrong..own it..get out on the field and play for the club,he should be grateful to for saving him from an eternal lower grade career at the Panthers..
Grow the fuck up and own your shit..
To even think of having the audacity of questioning the club’s commitment to him is fucking laughable..
Did the club set up the root??...umm I don’t think so
To even suggest he will test the market after HIS indescretion,is an insight into his morals and the NRL are soft cocks to even contemplate allowing him to benefit from this situation..
Okunbor appears to have the right outlook at least,and a desire to make right with his teammates and club..
CHN is a quality player..no doubt
Now let’s find out if he is a quality human being
I would say this to him: -

Mate, you have been through a lot this year, as has the entire world. Canterbury gets its fair share of haters so they had to show they were representing the moral high ground. What you did was not illegal but it was a very bad look on the game and Club, but you do not deserve for it to drag on any longer. Let's get back to your teammates and play footy. Let's leave this ugly phase our lives behind us and make up for it on the field! You and your team mates deserve a good second half of the year. - This should ground him in the reality that shit happens and lashing out at the people that handled it imperfectly is pointless.

Reactions: GDR

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can only assume that CHN & JO'S next public appearance will be a hard day for them both. They can both choose to say nothing, act as if nothing happened & dodge all the questions & media hype & just turn up to play. It is my opinion that this would be the wrong move, for them both as human beings & as professional footballers.

We all know they made a mistake, but they are human & everyone deserves a chance to redeem themselves.

To win back some public support & to help restore some of their public image, I believe this is what they should do if the club allows them to.

The should front the media with prepared written statements telling the world that they are sorry for the mistake they have made & show true remorse for their actions.
They should apologise to their families, the club & the fans of the Bulldogs & the game for bringing the game into disrepute.
They should then state that they would love the opportunity to redeem themselves by proving to the community, the Bulldogs & the fans that they are good people who made a mistake and would love that opportunity to come whilst representing the Bulldogs once again.

By taking the other option and carry on fuming about how everybody else is to blame about their treatment and not their own dumb actions will be carreer image suicide.

So especially to you Mr CHN, if it is true that you want to show no remorse for the mess YOU put yourself in -

Pull your head in and choose the right road moving forward as your legacy will only be judged by your actions moving forward.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There is no way anyone would accept a CHN for Lafai swap. That is not even close to "like for like".

I agree. That would be like comparing apples to oranges or a clapped out Leyland P76 to a Lamborghini.

The Drag queens would get a much better deal than us out of it. Let's see....... an international NZ forward who was top offload last year and in his prime at 25 years of age with two and a bit years to run on his contract ( irrespective of his indiscretion, his first and only) , or a 29 year old back who has struggled, is off contract this year, basically unwanted by his club and had a few off field problems ( brawling in conjunction with a team mate against another and after pleading guilty dodging a conviction and on another having a brain fart and being handed an AVO).

Certainly leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth.

The whole situation has been handled very poorly by all concerned, from those in charge of the game to those in charge of the club and of course the players themselves who actually put themselves in the position in the first place.

Fingal Bay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I totally understand but if he doesn’t want to stay then use him to get a player of the same value or better. Why do we always get bent over and fucked up the ass with the shit end of the stick. Chn wants to go fair enough for but a player swap for a has been Lafai is a joke. We let Harper go for a free spot for Lafai before this so I’m sure we can get Lafai pretty easy. This board just knows how to get it’s members and fans to hate them more and more
Maybe swap CHN for McInnes or Hunt.

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If CHN wants to go to dragons. We will take McInnes or Jayden Sullivan with Billy Britton. Or no deal in my opionion. It’s got to be fair value or the fans are the ones getting robbed. As a fan I want the club to stand up for once. We have lost so much Klemmer, Barba SBW and no return. Lafai is not fair value. He can’t even get a run with the dragons when they where woeful. Poor onfield with no major sponsorship. Won’t attract one if we keep getting reserve graders for internationals
Enough is enough

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Just a hunch, but I think CHN is headed to Canberra. Apparently he's really tight with a few of the guys there and they've been in his ear.

Makes sense imo

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Where ever these two end up, what does the club do when the team has a school visit scheduled? Send the team to the school and send CHN/OK to a retirement village?

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the swap thing - if CHN leaves the club than the club has a squad spot and spare cash - they can look anywhere for a replacement.

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand the swap thing - if CHN leaves the club than the club has a squad spot and spare cash - they can look anywhere for a replacement.
Who will come to the club that is anywhere near as good as CHN?

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yes, because the club has been really successful at enticing international quality players lately.

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If and that’s a big if Barrett is the new coach. On this hook up I’d be interested to know if he’s had a offer to attend the conversation. And as a minimum his thoughts on the pair being involved going forward? As whoever the coach is will be held accountable on the results he gets from his players. And where is Steve Price in this?

Donkey Slayer

Banned
Reaction score
Where ever these two end up, what does the club do when the team has a school visit scheduled? Send the team to the school and send CHN/OK to a retirement village?
Nah haha they will have people monitoring him
Like his a smooth criminal

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bulldogs, Harawira-Naera to talk it over
Scott Bailey
Australian Associated Press16 July 2020, 3:23 pm

Canterbury are yet to decide if Corey Harawira-Naera will play for them again or be released

Canterbury bosses will meet with banned Kiwi forward Corey Harawira-Naera on Friday before a decision is made on whether the second-rower will stay at the NRL club.

Earlier this week, Harawira-Naera and Bulldogs winger Jayden Okunbor both successfully overturned their deregistrations to allow them to rejoin the NRL.

Okunbor is believed to be keen to resume his career at Canterbury after his adjusted ban for his role in the schoolgirl sex scandal ends after round 14.

However, Harawira-Naera shapes as a more challenging prospect.

There have been reports this week he is furious with Canterbury over their handling of the scenario and does not want to play for them again.

But his camp has insisted to AAP he will enter the talks with an open mind as the two parties bid to resolve their differences and make their relationship work.

Regardless, Harawira-Naera will be free to return to playing next week, after having his deregistration reduced to a 10-week ban.

It was initially thought both players would return as free agents if their independent appeal against the NRL's punishment was successful.

As they were sacked by the Bulldogs before they were deregistered, they have landed back on Canterbury's books.

If Harawira-Naera was to leave, the 25-year-old would either need to seek a request from Canterbury or have his contract terminated.

There would likely be no shortage of interested clubs given the Test forward was at one stage one of the most promising back-rowers in the competition.

It comes after Bulldogs players this week stated they wanted the pair back at the club under interim coach Steve Georgallis.

"From a playing point of view, and all the players are in agreeance, we want them back," veteran prop Tolman said.

"For us as players, if the NRL believes they have done their time and that is the penalty warranted then we want them back here and playing."

The Bulldogs were scathing of the duo when they were initially deregistered, saying they supported the NRL's move and claimed the pair "demonstrated an unacceptable lack of respect".

The pre-season incident was reported to have cost the club a lucrative front-of-jersey sponsorship, with the Bulldogs still the only team in the NRL without a major sponsor.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/bulldogs-harawira-naera-talk-over-052312083--spt.html

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs, Harawira-Naera to talk it over
Scott Bailey
Australian Associated Press16 July 2020, 3:23 pm

Canterbury are yet to decide if Corey Harawira-Naera will play for them again or be released

Canterbury bosses will meet with banned Kiwi forward Corey Harawira-Naera on Friday before a decision is made on whether the second-rower will stay at the NRL club.

Earlier this week, Harawira-Naera and Bulldogs winger Jayden Okunbor both successfully overturned their deregistrations to allow them to rejoin the NRL.

Okunbor is believed to be keen to resume his career at Canterbury after his adjusted ban for his role in the schoolgirl sex scandal ends after round 14.

However, Harawira-Naera shapes as a more challenging prospect.

There have been reports this week he is furious with Canterbury over their handling of the scenario and does not want to play for them again.

But his camp has insisted to AAP he will enter the talks with an open mind as the two parties bid to resolve their differences and make their relationship work.

Regardless, Harawira-Naera will be free to return to playing next week, after having his deregistration reduced to a 10-week ban.

It was initially thought both players would return as free agents if their independent appeal against the NRL's punishment was successful.

As they were sacked by the Bulldogs before they were deregistered, they have landed back on Canterbury's books.

If Harawira-Naera was to leave, the 25-year-old would either need to seek a request from Canterbury or have his contract terminated.

There would likely be no shortage of interested clubs given the Test forward was at one stage one of the most promising back-rowers in the competition.

It comes after Bulldogs players this week stated they wanted the pair back at the club under interim coach Steve Georgallis.

"From a playing point of view, and all the players are in agreeance, we want them back," veteran prop Tolman said.

"For us as players, if the NRL believes they have done their time and that is the penalty warranted then we want them back here and playing."

The Bulldogs were scathing of the duo when they were initially deregistered, saying they supported the NRL's move and claimed the pair "demonstrated an unacceptable lack of respect".

The pre-season incident was reported to have cost the club a lucrative front-of-jersey sponsorship, with the Bulldogs still the only team in the NRL without a major sponsor.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/bulldogs-harawira-naera-talk-over-052312083--spt.html
Seems like the most accurate article so far. Fingers crossed tomorrow theres a good result

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Seems like the most accurate article so far. Fingers crossed tomorrow theres a good result
I think it’s ridiculous that the club have to try and entice CHN to stay but I hope they just smoke the peace pipe and sort it out. If CHN is as angry as they say surely he has to understand what effect his actions had too and he isn’t completely innocent.

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah but if you just let him walk can only sign players off contract no one decent will get given an early release. If you swap you can look at anyone on similar coin

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
If CHN think he has friends in the media he should go back and see the stories written. The dogs reply was due to the media pressure and appease the fans n sponsors. The NRL cut him loose. It was a shit outcome for the dogs either way. NRL make the huge call, get egg on their face and the dogs will lose a player cause Greenberg is a political puppet.