Okunbor/CHN megathread

Dog4life77

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So you think that a guy who slept with a chick who he met at the club and who lied about her age should be deregistered just because he had sex with her at the team hotel. Fine and suspension yes. Deregistered was a complete overreaction because of what okunbur did. The way the club,NRL and media grouped the two as though they did the same thing was disgraceful. You have even grouped the two in your comment
No he shouldn’t have been deregistered..
The NRL put that in to action..not the club
The club followed protocol and terminated their contracts after the NRL had already made it clear they weren’t going to be playing NRL for the foreseeable future anyway..
No matter how you simplify the indescretion,it is now and always has been,against the policy of the club and code..at least since Coffs..
The onus is on the players to act responsibly and not break protocol,regardless of how tempting it may be..
These players earn enough to rightfully have these limitations put on them by the club and league..
But for him to now come out and say anything along the lines of ‘he’s pissed at the club,or he doesn’t feel the club supported him through it all’
Fucking please..is he 10?
He is a grown ass man that earns good coin to play a game,where he has a responsibility to represent the club and the league in a certain manor..
He didn’t..illegal or not..
All I’m saying is,he should own it and not benefit from it financially because he feels the club didn’t hold his hand..
Okunbor should have been deregistered..but now he is free to resume his career in 4 weeks and it appears he feels a sense of remorse and a want to make good with club and teammates..which is more than Corey is showing

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
And??
The 2 of them should be willing to get out on that field with the teammates they let down,and play for the club they let down financially as well as morally..

To even think of having the audacity of questioning the club’s commitment to him is fucking laughable..

To even suggest he will test the market after HIS indescretion,is an insight into his morals and the NRL are soft cocks to even contemplate allowing him to benefit from this situation..
Exactly. Anybody that's blaming the club for him possibly leaving is off their heads. He got himself into this mess not anybody else and if he now wants to cry poor and look elsewhere he can beat it. Instead of being grateful hes gotten a second chance to redeem himself with his club, team mates and fans he's coming in to discuss his options? Just an absolute slap in the face from a "senior leadership" player

Dog4life77

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Exactly. Anybody that's blaming the club for him possibly leaving is off their heads. He got himself into this mess not anybody else and if he now wants to cry poor and look elsewhere he can beat it. Instead of being grateful hes gotten a second chance to redeem himself with his club, team mates and fans he's coming in to discuss his options? Just an absolute slap in the face from a "senior leadership" player
100% Velk..

Dog4life77

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Mate I’m with ya but we are the only club over the lest 12 year to let players hang out to dry. This needs to come to a stop. We need to start supporting the players, you start having team morale.
Or a novel idea..
The players could start respecting the privilege they have of playing in the NRL..
AND NOT DO STUPID FUCKING SHIT!!
Just an idea though..lol

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally hope they both stay.I think chn’s tik tok video was worse than the port schoolgirl deal. At least two people got pleasure out of the latter.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I believe the management are partially responsible for what went wrong at Port Macquarie
While CHN and Okunbor were having their morally wrong fun the management and coaching staff were having their fun separately cruising around the port...Why were they separated ?
Haven't they learnt from all the previous incidents especially the not so distant one...The mad Monday ?
Both players failed their responsibility to the club !
Management failed their duty of care to the club...Again !!!

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Bulldogs didn't terminate the contracts by choice, Greenberg handed down that verdict when he was under fire for being lenient with players, so as I see it the ball should be in our court if we want both players back. If CHN wants out we should play hardball with whoever wants him and get some value in a player swap. If he doesn't want to return, let him know he's welcome to sit out of league for the remainder of his contract without pay for refusing to play.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The club followed protocol and terminated their contracts after the NRL had already made it clear they weren’t going to be playing NRL for the foreseeable future anyway..
No matter how you simplify the indescretion,it is now and always has been,against the policy of the club and code..at least since Coffs..
The onus is on the players to act responsibly and not break protocol,regardless of how tempting it may be..
These players earn enough to rightfully have these limitations put on them by the club and league..
But for him to now come out and say anything along the lines of ‘he’s pissed at the club,or he doesn’t feel the club supported him through it all’
He is a grown ass man that earns good coin to play a game,where he has a responsibility to represent the club and the league in a certain manor..
All I’m saying is,he should own it and not benefit from it financially because he feels the club didn’t hold his hand..
Okunbor should have been deregistered..but now he is free to resume his career in 4 weeks and it appears he feels a sense of remorse and a want to make good with club and teammates..which is more than Corey is showing
I agree with alot you say. I feel he was hung out to dry and I just think it is a slippery slope when players get deregistered for what CHN did. Pre Covid, bringing girls back to the hotel quite common. I could be wrong but it did not look like we advocated for a more reasonable penalty for CHN. We just took it because of what Okonbur did and the sponsorship issue.

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Or a novel idea..
The players could start respecting the privilege they have of playing in the NRL..
AND NOT DO STUPID FUCKING SHIT!!
Just an idea though..lol
Mate I’m with ya, players can’t act differently at other club cop lesser punishments while we always get the short end of the stick lol

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem with that thinking is that we e keep losing talented players. We should aim to reconcile. His feelings may be able to be changed before we just say see ya later. That’s assuming he wants out of course
He ain’t no $BW
He ain’t no Barba
He ain’t no Mason
He ain’t no Morris twins
He ain’t no Klemmer
He ain’t no Smith/Dymock/Pay
He ain’t no O’Meley
He ain’t no Asotasi
And he sure ain’t no Thurston

we lost all those and still survived as bad as it looked.

I want him to stay and be a man and take ownership. If he doesn’t want to, we will survive.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
There’s some great posts here and I’m glad not everyone is blaming the club.
Don’t complain about having no major sponsor if you wanted the club to pat them on the back. The club was forced to follow the NRLs instructions. I personally think based on the information available that CHN shouldn’t have had his contract de-registered BY THE NRL on the advice of the integrity unit.

The players mustn’t have been treated too badly by the club as some have said if Okunbur wants to come back. CHN was always going to test his value on the open market and money will always be his motivation. That’s why he came to us in the first place

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Spot on my friend. Spot on. Great post.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Personally I don't begrudge him coming to talk to management as understand he'll need to see where the club stands on everything. He's not indebted to us, no one really is actually. So I think it's natural for him to talk things through.

But that being said, I would hope that being a supposed 'senior player' that he'd show some clear remorse and give something back to the club that he had a hand in screwing 2m out of. If he leaves, he leaves. However, I'd really be disappointed in his actions to do that as he was the one that crossed the line and the club simply acted in accordance to the NRL's wishes.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There’s some great posts here and I’m glad not everyone is blaming the club.
Don’t complain about having no major sponsor if you wanted the club to pat them on the back. The club was forced to follow the NRLs instructions. I personally think based on the information available that CHN shouldn’t have had his contract de-registered BY THE NRL on the advice of the integrity unit.

The players mustn’t have been treated too badly by the club as some have said if Okunbur wants to come back. CHN was always going to test his value on the open market and money will always be his motivation. That’s why he came to us in the first place
Agree. He's been sitting at home stewing over things, and only natural for him to test the waters. It's how we got him in the first place. But ... I'd be disappointed in the club if they allow him to go elsewhere as he really does owe us a minimum of 1m :grinning:

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Agree. He's been sitting at home stewing over things, and only natural for him to test the waters. It's how we got him in the first place. But ... I'd be disappointed in the club if they allow him to go elsewhere as he really does owe us a minimum of 1m :grinning:
Bloody expensive root wasn’t it

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Theyve just gotta make chn feel wanted again and chn will stay if they fuck this up they are hopeless

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And??
It shouldn’t be tolerated..
I keep hearing ‘but it wasn’t illegal’..completely irrelevant..
They participated in something that is against club and code policy..end of!!
The 2 of them should be willing to get out on that field with the teammates they let down,and play for the club they let down financially as well as morally..
CHN is pissed off..AT WHAT??
Does he need the club to hold his hand?
He did wrong..own it..get out on the field and play for the club,he should be grateful to for saving him from an eternal lower grade career at the Panthers..
Grow the fuck up and own your shit..
To even think of having the audacity of questioning the club’s commitment to him is fucking laughable..
Did the club set up the root??...umm I don’t think so
To even suggest he will test the market after HIS indescretion,is an insight into his morals and the NRL are soft cocks to even contemplate allowing him to benefit from this situation..
Okunbor appears to have the right outlook at least,and a desire to make right with his teammates and club..
CHN is a quality player..no doubt
Now let’s find out if he is a quality human being
Here here. Said the same thing in another thread, they both owe the club, team mates and fans massively for the shit they put us through, not the other way around.

Last edited: