News Okunbor Appeal Date Set

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The problem I have is relativity, my view (as it has always been) is that the punishment doesn't fit the indiscretion (it wasn't a crime) as we know it. How many other players have breached the NRL Player Code of Conduct (CoC) and not received comparable punishment? To the best of my knowledge the CoC came about as result of the Pierce incident in 2016 which wasn't criminal but brought the NRL into considerable disrepute. So it has been around for 4 years and have seen one player contract containing it from 2018. So how many players could be considered to have breached the CoC in that 4 year period? How does their punishment align with the contract deregistration of CHN and JO? I don't think it matters whether the player was charged with a criminal offence or not, whether they were convicted or not. A proven and/or admitted breach of the CoC is still a breach of the COC and should attract punishment commensurate with the level of disrepute wrought upon the NRL. The only escape would be complete exoneration and/or withdrawal of the charges., Reynolds being an example. The fact that Inglis had no conviction recorded is irrelevant in that his conduct breached the Code. Similarly Lodge, it matters not that the breach was overseas, he still broke the CoC as it was reported locally. Does anyone seriously believe that their conduct didn't breach the CoC?

The question is, were any of the above or other CoC breakers deregistered? I can't recall any, not a single one. So only JO and CHN's breaches of the CoC alone were deemed worthy of contract deregistration? It doesn't pass the proverbial "pub test", well not mine anyway.

Go Dogs
This is exactly my take on it as well.

It was lop-sided treatment and fans can say that without condoning their behaviour.

PS All the fluff Dinkims put into the argument is just personal vindictiveness towards me and also backed up by the rest of the jackals.

Last edited:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
come on Dinkum, just apologise

is it because you dont apologising to women?
They jump on their vindictive bandwagon together and it really doesn't matter what anyone says, or the issue or principle, they'll find fault and start an argument.

Nothing but 3 jackals.

Last edited:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
The problem I have is relativity, my view (as it has always been) is that the punishment doesn't fit the indiscretion (it wasn't a crime) as we know it. How many other players have breached the NRL Player Code of Conduct (CoC) and not received comparable punishment? To the best of my knowledge the CoC came about as result of the Pierce incident in 2016 which wasn't criminal but brought the NRL into considerable disrepute. So it has been around for 4 years and have seen one player contract containing it from 2018. So how many players could be considered to have breached the CoC in that 4 year period? How does their punishment align with the contract deregistration of CHN and JO? I don't think it matters whether the player was charged with a criminal offence or not, whether they were convicted or not. A proven and/or admitted breach of the CoC is still a breach of the COC and should attract punishment commensurate with the level of disrepute wrought upon the NRL. The only escape would be complete exoneration and/or withdrawal of the charges., Reynolds being an example. The fact that Inglis had no conviction recorded is irrelevant in that his conduct breached the Code. Similarly Lodge, it matters not that the breach was overseas, he still broke the CoC as it was reported locally. Does anyone seriously believe that their conduct didn't breach the CoC?

The question is, were any of the above or other CoC breakers deregistered? I can't recall any, not a single one. So only JO and CHN's breaches of the CoC alone were deemed worthy of contract deregistration? It doesn't pass the proverbial "pub test", well not mine anyway.

Go Dogs
There is information that has not and will not be made public - that simply needs to be accepted. Comparison to other cases isn’t correct either, even more ‘straight forward’ CoC cases such as Mitchell Pearce.

The only question to be answered is: do their actions constitute complete and permanent de-registration (currently the sanction imposed by the NRL) or are they entitled to full and immediate reinstatement of their registrations due to the NRL erring in its original decision.

An alternative as part of the appeal process - are they seeking a defined period of de-registration after which they can be then re-registered.

I’m not willing to say here what I think the outcome will be as I’m not privy to all the evidence either.

In comparing cases (not actions leading to the outcome, just the outcome) - Ben Barba would be the closest - and he has not been re-registered.

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They jump on their vindictive bandwagon together and it really doesn't matter what anyone says, or the issue or priniple, they'll find fault and start an argument.

Nothing but 3 jackals.
oh Wendog, these guys are so wound up that all posts are taken literally or must be in reference to laws and legalities that were written back in 1925.

I think they need to "release" some pressure

poor guys I feel sorry for them....

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Everytime time I see this brought up I can't help myself but think of blacked...I'm a terrible person :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
They jump on their vindictive bandwagon together and it really doesn't matter what anyone says, or the issue or priniple, they'll find fault and start an argument.

Nothing but 3 jackals.
You also behave like a jackal jumping on all of our posts with your little crew but the term mutt is more suitable for you. Relax and take a lie down

Last edited:

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
oh Wendog, these guys are so wound up that all posts are taken literally or must be in reference to laws and legalities that were written back in 1925.

1925? Peace officers, voting or land titles?
Don’t feel sorry for us mate. We’ll be ok ;)

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

True that.

Do I know you from any of the 6 Bulldogs sites I'm on?

I give as good as I get. No problems there but it wears thin when it's 3 on one majority of the time. And they so love to twist, taunt and manipulate what others say.

Anyway thank you. Appreciate the intervention.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is information that has not and will not be made public - that simply needs to be accepted. Comparison to other cases isn’t correct either, even more ‘straight forward’ CoC cases such as Mitchell Pearce.

The only question to be answered is: do their actions constitute complete and permanent de-registration (currently the sanction imposed by the NRL) or are they entitled to full and immediate reinstatement of their registrations due to the NRL erring in its original decision.

An alternative as part of the appeal process - are they seeking a defined period of de-registration after which they can be then re-registered.

I’m not willing to say here what I think the outcome will be as I’m not privy to all the evidence either.

In comparing cases (not actions leading to the outcome, just the outcome) - Ben Barba would be the closest - and he has not been re-registered.
I agree that our club just followed the rules by making NRL aware of what went on with our two players.
There was no way to cover or smooth things over considering the fact social media was involved.
Our management is absolutely faultless in this saga and have nothing to do with the punishment handed down.
Do you think the players would see it this way.
Would they happily come back to us one day with no hard feelings towards our club.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

More stuff we just have to take your word for ...ugh.

You put Ben Barba offences as the closest to these 2 guys...ugh.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
But his actions (in fact some crimes) were of a much higher level and repetitive, he was given chances and still he repeated the offences, multiple times. So, much as like with the NRL judiciary, he had built up "carry over points". As a repeat offender the punishment does fit the crime compared to CHN and JO who were first time offenders with no "carry over points".

Go Dogs

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
But his actions (in fact some crimes) were of a much higher level and repetitive, he was given chances and still he repeated the offences, multiple times. So, much as like with the NRL judiciary, he had built up "carry over points". As a repeat offender the punishment does fit the crime compared to CHN and JO who were first time offenders with no "carry over points".

Go Dogs
Different circumstances and no precedent was required. This is perhaps why some remain perplexed at the outcome. Let’s see how the appeal process plays out.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I agree that our club just followed the rules by making NRL aware of what went on with our two players.
There was no way to cover or smooth things over considering the fact social media was involved.
Our management is absolutely faultless in this saga and have nothing to do with the punishment handed down.
Do you think the players would see it this way.
Would they happily come back to us one day with no hard feelings towards our club.
Can’t answer that question mate.
But it’s also a matter of desire for both parties. Remember that outside the bigger ‘incident’ there was the loss of $2m of sponsorship that given the current status of the world is proving difficult to replace...

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Different circumstances and no precedent was required. This is perhaps why some remain perplexed at the outcome. Let’s see how the appeal process plays out.
What did you mean by this statement of yours then Dinkum?

His outcome was based on several actions.

"In comparing cases (not actions leading to the outcome, just the outcome) - Ben Barba would be the closest - and he has not been re-registered."

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, they will be free to be employed by any NRL club, it’s a matter of whether the Bulldogs would want them back if they qualify for NRL registration.
It’s more the case of the players wanting to come back. Given how Club management treated and are treating the 2 as Paraiahs. Putting yourself in their shoes (assuming-they’re victorious); would you return to the employer that managed the situation in this manner?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
It’s more the case of the players wanting to come back. Given how Club management treated and are treating the 2 as Paraiahs. Putting yourself in their shoes (assuming-they’re victorious); would you return to the employer that managed the situation in this manner?
I’d say it’s mutual.
Does the club want them back?

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’d say it’s mutual.
Does the club want them back?
I notice you didn’t put yourself in the players’ shoes. It was poorly handled by Club management. Unfortunately we’ll never know the outcome of the incident review...would love to be a fly on the wall Thursday night!!!!!!

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was on the news that hearing was today does anyone know anything.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I notice you didn’t put yourself in the players’ shoes. It was poorly handled by Club management. Unfortunately we’ll never know the outcome of the incident review...would love to be a fly on the wall Thursday night!!!!!!
Were you present whenever the club met with or communicated with the players throughout this process?