Ogden

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ogden and toomaga can make an ok halfback and hooker look brilliant.
They both need to be on the run on side together, regularly.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I just want to know what the fuck Ogden has done over last few seasons that the 2 shittest coaches of all Bulldogs time in Georgallis and Pay, either dont pick him, or give him limited mins when the whole world can see he shits all over Tolman Napa and every other prop we have...

Plz end the season now and bring in someone that can actually coach.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ogden is great when we have the ball, no question. Unfortunately for him half of a footy game (on average) the other team has the ball. He made 13 tackles in 45 minutes. For someone playing in the middle that is atrocious. I honestly thought there were quite a few people on TK who understood footy, but the only bloke who has even raised his defence is Marley.

RFM played half the minutes and made 15 tackles as an edge forward. Thompson played 5 more minutes than Ogden but made 37 tackles, almost 3 times as many, oh and he had 1 less missed tackle. Anyone think if Thommo saved himself for attack by only making 1 tackle every 3.5 minutes he might be able to run the ball up harder?

On these stats Ogden is still a bench forward in most teams, and in the best teams he doesn't even make the bench. I love his hitups as much as the next guy, same as I used to love Fuifui Moimois hitups, great fun, but as an alround package who will help you win footy games, Ogden isn't there yet, he needs to pick up his defence. It is no coincidence that both games he has started we have leaked early points.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ogden is great when we have the ball, no question. Unfortunately for him half of a footy game (on average) the other team has the ball. He made 13 tackles in 45 minutes. For someone playing in the middle that is atrocious. I honestly thought there were quite a few people on TK who understood footy, but the only bloke who has even raised his defence is Marley.

RFM played half the minutes and made 15 tackles as an edge forward. Thompson played 5 more minutes than Ogden but made 37 tackles, almost 3 times as many, oh and he had 1 less missed tackle. Anyone think if Thommo saved himself for attack by only making 1 tackle every 3.5 minutes he might be able to run the ball up harder?

On these stats Ogden is still a bench forward in most teams, and in the best teams he doesn't even make the bench. I love his hitups as much as the next guy, same as I used to love Fuifui Moimois hitups, great fun, but as an alround package who will help you win footy games, Ogden isn't there yet, he needs to pick up his defence. It is no coincidence that both games he has started we have leaked early points.
Of course he needs to improve in defence but when Napa, Thompson and Tolman are making every tackle then does Ogden need to make as many?

It's not like Ogden was missing tackles and bear in mind he's probably trying to conserve his energy as he's been held back so much for two years that he's not used to playing 40 plus minutes yet.

I'd rather have someone like Ogden who can bend the line and get him to work on his fitness and defence, than play a cat like Napa who makes zero impact and has no upside.

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Assuming we don't sign anyone else in the forwards for next year this is what id be going with. If we sign a hooker, they come in to start with Katoa dropping back to the bench for JMK.

8 Ogden
9 Katoa
10 Thompson
11 Elliot
12 RFM
13 Jackson

14 JMK
15 Toomaga
16 Napa
17 Doorey

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
He looks better than Renouf now. I know Renouf isn't playing, but hes never looked as good as what Ogden is looking now.
Completely different styles ... Ogden is bash and barge with a tonne of aggression.. Renouf has silky skills and late footwork for a big man.. they should be both walk up starts in this squad..

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

When the opposition prop /middle looks up and sees Napa/Tolman/Thompson or Ogden who do you think they are going to run to?

Napa used to be feared but they all know he’s a cat

Hence why he lead with the head he got fk all with outlaw of shoulder charges

Reactions: GDR

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
When the opposition prop /middle looks up and sees Napa/Tolman/Thompson or Ogden who do you think they are going to run to?

Napa used to be feared but they all know he’s a cat

Hence why he lead with the head he got fk all with outlaw of shoulder charges
Of course some guys are going to be avoided in defense, but if you are serious about defense you are going to get involved. You reckon blokes run at Haas, JWH, Bromich etc? Yet they all get high tackle counts.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Of course he needs to improve in defence but when Napa, Thompson and Tolman are making every tackle then does Ogden need to make as many?

It's not like Ogden was missing tackles and bear in mind he's probably trying to conserve his energy as he's been held back so much for two years that he's not used to playing 40 plus minutes yet.

I'd rather have someone like Ogden who can bend the line and get him to work on his fitness and defence, than play a cat like Napa who makes zero impact and has no upside.
If Dil Napa suspended, hopefully RT given a go but knowing our coaching mess ups, Tolman will come back to start.

silva

Utility
Reaction score

Are you kidding. Clearly no one wants to run at the big unit

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Are you kidding. Clearly no one wants to run at the big unit
Good, if that is true, the big unit should be making it his business to get in the way of blokes. He was rarely sighted in defense, even as 2nd or 3rd man in the tackle. Compare this with Haas; 45 tackles 1 miss this weekend, are you saying blokes are choosing to run at him?

There is another stat that really raises question marks on our defense, Foran made 31 tackles in 70 minutes, and Cogger wasn't far behind him. I've had a quick check through 4 other games this weekend and the halves don't get anywhere near that tackle count. This indicates that our middle isn't doing enough to make certain that it takes the bulk of the defensive work. This was pretty evident yesterday, our defensive line speed was awful.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Good, if that is true, the big unit should be making it his business to get in the way of blokes. He was rarely sighted in defense, even as 2nd or 3rd man in the tackle. Compare this with Haas; 45 tackles 1 miss this weekend, are you saying blokes are choosing to run at him?

There is another stat that really raises question marks on our defense, Foran made 31 tackles in 70 minutes, and Cogger wasn't far behind him. I've had a quick check through 4 other games this weekend and the halves don't get anywhere near that tackle count. This indicates that our middle isn't doing enough to make certain that it takes the bulk of the defensive work. This was pretty evident yesterday, our defensive line speed was awful.
You also have to take into account that the Tigers are a very side to side team and don't play much through the middle. Especially when they kept making so many breaks out wide, mainly down Lafai's side.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You also have to take into account that the Tigers are a very side to side team and don't play much through the middle. Especially when they kept making so many breaks out wide, mainly down Lafai's side.
This is true, but I don't think it can fully or even mostly account for what we saw yesterday. The knights halves made 17 tackles each last week against the same team, although it was a very different game. If you go to the week before when the Tigers lost a close game to the Warriors, you will see that the halves didn't have nearly as many tackles as Foran+Cogger yesterday, and also that the forwards for Warriors did more of the tackling. Alvaro was only on for 22 minutes and did more tackles than Ogden did yesterday. Burr was on for about the same amount of time and did 23 tackles.

Even for a team that likes to go side to side the Tigers were allowed to do it way too easily yesterday, especially in the first half. That comes down in part to the lack of work in the middle by our pack getting up and at them. Are they low on morale, does that effect things? Of course, but as a simple point of fact, our defensive work in the middle yesterday was a big problem, and Ogden returned the worst result. Loved him with ball in hand, absolutely, but no serious conversation about his place in the team can leave it at that and ignore what he brings to the team when the other mob have the ball.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This is true, but I don't think it can fully or even mostly account for what we saw yesterday. The knights halves made 17 tackles each last week against the same team, although it was a very different game. If you go to the week before when the Tigers lost a close game to the Warriors, you will see that the halves didn't have nearly as many tackles as Foran+Cogger yesterday, and also that the forwards for Warriors did more of the tackling. Alvaro was only on for 22 minutes and did more tackles than Ogden did yesterday. Burr was on for about the same amount of time and did 23 tackles.

Even for a team that likes to go side to side the Tigers were allowed to do it way too easily yesterday, especially in the first half. That comes down in part to the lack of work in the middle by our pack getting up and at them. Are they low on morale, does that effect things? Of course, but as a simple point of fact, our defensive work in the middle yesterday was a big problem, and Ogden returned the worst result. Loved him with ball in hand, absolutely, but no serious conversation about his place in the team can leave it at that and ignore what he brings to the team when the other mob have the ball.
Ogden has a lot to work on but he's playing better each week and still puts on bigger hits than anyone else in the pack.

He needs to improve his fitness and workrate in defence but hopefully he and Renouf have huge offseasons under Barrett. If they realise their potential, they'd be two cheap impact props who could help change the style of the pack from plodders to beasts.

Last edited:

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ogden has a lot to work on but he's playing better each week and still puts on bigger hits than anyone else in the pack.

He needs to improve his fitness and workrate in defence but hopefully he and Renouf have huge offseasons under Barrett. If they realise their potential, they'd be two cheap impact props who could help change the style of the pack from plodders to beasts.
I think you've hit the nail on the head in terms of fitness. He has the physical impact and seems to have a good understanding about how to time his hits both in attack and defense. The number one thing that would hold him back from getting into the defensive line quickly, turning around, figuring out who is likely to get the ball next and making him a target is going to be fitness.

I think I said in another post if we could get the best bits out Ogden, Napa, and Tolman and combine them we'd have the best prop in the comp. As it stands Ogden is the most promising for obvious reasons, hopefully he delivers on that promise. We need at least one starting prop that is the full package, a line bender plus busy in defense, can control the ruck speed, enables good cover defense, and a good motor.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Of course some guys are going to be avoided in defense, but if you are serious about defense you are going to get involved. You reckon blokes run at Haas, JWH, Bromich etc? Yet they all get high tackle counts.
They also play far more minutes

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
They also play far more minutes
Why? Because they put in the effort both with and without the ball.

For the amount of minutes Ogden played he should have had around 25 tackles, he had half that, if you don't count the two he missed.

The ReignMan

Previously Clint
Reaction score
Can’t wait till Tolman is gone.. Napa has 1 more year after this year so that’s not too bad. I hope Baz was watching us today especially our forward pack surely he’ll persist with the likes of Ogden and To’Omaga shit I’d even hold onto Sue as well
They need to sign Sue up , never backs down