Off-contract Storm forward Dale Finucane meets with two rivals

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Storm lock Dale Finucane is understood to be weighing up his options for 2022, reportedly meeting with two rival clubs as Melbourne battle with a straining salary cap situation.

As reported by NRL.com’s Dan Walsh, the 29-year-old has fielded interest from two sides while the Cowboys, Tigers and Bulldogs have the NSW forward in their sights.

ADVERTISEMENT

Finucane’s priority is to remain in Victoria and play out his career in purple, however desires of a three to four-year extension may not match the Storm’s available offers when both parties meet at the negotiation table.

The Storm co-captain has played 137 matches under Craig Bellamy since arriving from Belmore ahead of the 2015 season and has featured at Origin level on four occasions in the past two years.

Finucane remains as one of several key re-signings for the Storm, with Nicho Hynes and Brenko Lee also off-contract, while hooker Brandon Smith has been heavily linked to a move north.

Melbourne will already face a major hit to begin the 2022 season, with star winger Josh Addo-Carr departing for Canterbury at the end of this season.

The club have looked to combat the Origin flyer’s departure, with Broncos young gun Xavier Coates on the Storm’s radar.

Mak Dogs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Top player I’d take him back for sure but the only prob I have is if we sign him I’d like to see someone moved on. We can’t have jj Waddell and finucane as our back rowers. Don’t even mention Elliot

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I probably prefer him over all of the other "available" options outside Rudolf currently. It'd have to be 3 years, 2 would be the sweet spot.

Dogzzz of War

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would give him 4 years....... but years 3 and 4 will be at 50% of years 1 and 2 to reflect the fact that he would probably be a broken down mule by then.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
One of the many many many many mistakes of the previous fukwits that destroyed our club!
Cook, Taupau and Finucane never should have been let go.. Especially the first two as it would have cost very little to retain them at the time.

Losing them set the club back years. Instead Des wanted to waste 700k on She-Rex.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
it is hard to know with players... for example, Steve Price signed with the Warriors for the 2005 season when he was to turn 31 and spent 5 seasons with them and continued playing Origin until 2009... then there are others that are done by 30-31 (eg. Rodney Howe)

Finucane should not have been let go of in first place but a four year deal now is too big a risk IMO

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes from me. 29 is a perfect age for a seasoned forward.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
No from me. Becoming injury proned and on his last legs and doesn’t appear his body can hold up the way he’s played an ultimate warrior and respect that though and loved him with us though that door is shut for me.

Rather Rudolph and he’s not urgent for me.

I’d prefer Nathan brown and he couldn’t beat 600k on the open market and went back and took the eels deal.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
One of the many many many many mistakes of the previous fukwits that destroyed our club!
We had a procession of talent coming through at the time. Just stopped straight after that cause Des didn’t value the Lower grades.