Off contract middles

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He is playing for a contract now, it tends to get the best out of a player
I’ll never understand the mindset of that type of player (those playing for contracts), if you’re consistent (consistently good), you get rewarded, that simple. But these guys live on the cusp of obscurity for embracing mediocrity

Bulldog Brower

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What happened with the rumours of us looking at Horsburgh & Kamikamica this year? It suddenly went very quiet.

T-Rocket

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I had big hopes for Patolo at the back end of 2021. I don’t know what his story was last season. He was very disappointing to say the least in 2022. I hope he stands up this year but not confident of this at all.
yeah he hasn’t kicked on. Not sure if it was the concussions affecting the way he played

Last edited:

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’ll never understand the mindset of that type of player (those playing for contracts), if you’re consistent (consistently good), you get rewarded, that simple. But these guys live on the cusp of obscurity for embracing mediocrity
He is only young, And was a bit disappointing last year. But i think he will have a big year

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What happened with the rumours of us looking at Horsburgh & Kamikamica this year? It suddenly went very quiet.
Horsburgh is under contract til 25 guessing any movement will be subject to whether or not raiders can tempt fafita to move south.

JAZZY92

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I had big hopes for Patolo at the back end of 2021. I don’t know what his story was last season. He was very disappointing to say the least in 2022. I hope he stands up this year but not confident of this at all.
Gus said on twitter the other day that Patolo is training really well this preseason and impressing. Make of that what you will but it could mean we get his best season yet.
I think a lot of these previously fringe guys, could become solid options this year without Barrett stunting their growth. We’ll see.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We often forget he is only 21... kids got plenty of potential and when he hits his straps I reckon we got a gooden.

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Patolo similar to the likes of Atoni,Ogden etc plenty of god given attributes but needs a good dose of mongrel if he is to make it at nrl level.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Patolo similar to the likes of Atoni,Ogden etc plenty of god given attributes but needs a good dose of mongrel if he is to make it at nrl level.
Definitely last chance at the dogs. I saw some glimpses of a bit more passion from him last season, which I liked. Might go well if CC can help him find self belief but he'll he'll need more ability too.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Big Willie is just the man to teach him, that's why he is here.

Always a Bulldog

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot will come down to the type of Middle we need to suit the style CC wants us to play.

Is he wanting a mobile lighter pack or does he want the less mobile big bopper prop?

I think we will see what type of middle we need to look at for 2024 in the first month or two of this season.
I agree.
This is the first time in a long time that we've had a hooker that can hit the right forward with the right pass.

It's still up to the forwards and training coaches to get them to hit the ad line at speed so they have peak momentum in the tackle, not stuttering their run due to sloppy or poor pass from dummy half.

Thompson will have his best year as he is the only 1 I see that times his runs the best. Kikau does too. We just couldn't provide good enough service to Thommo to get his best potential out of him.

After this year (or maybe midway through it) we will know what works best and know what type of forwards we need.

Unfortunately not much will come from Flanno. Burton might link well with Kikau but it will all need to come from Reed at hooker for our forwards to have any chance.

Vaughan's value was there to be seen last year. Didn't need great service from his hooker. Just made the metres in a no fuss way. He will be missed.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I agree.
This is the first time in a long time that we've had a hooker that can hit the right forward with the right pass.

It's still up to the forwards and training coaches to get them to hit the ad line at speed so they have peak momentum in the tackle, not stuttering their run due to sloppy or poor pass from dummy half.

Thompson will have his best year as he is the only 1 I see that times his runs the best. Kikau does too. We just couldn't provide good enough service to Thommo to get his best potential out of him.

After this year (or maybe midway through it) we will know what works best and know what type of forwards we need.

Unfortunately not much will come from Flanno. Burton might link well with Kikau but it will all need to come from Reed at hooker for our forwards to have any chance.

Vaughan's value was there to be seen last year. Didn't need great service from his hooker. Just made the metres in a no fuss way. He will be missed.
Good point, we should see the true value of a number 9 with Reed piling the strings.. it makes a difference to our middles getting to that advantage line and beyond, hitting passes at pace and not having to jink or slow down makes a difference