NYC and NSW/QLD Cup competitions for 2018 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Agree. Used to love spending the day at the footy building up to the main game. Even now I try and get there for the 20s game. Really pisses me off when I get there though and they've decided to cancel the game and you stand around for a couple of hours scratching your nose and looking at the security dudes on plastic seats.
That has happened a couple of times this year. Something to do with the ground having been over worked due to the fact that at least 5 NRL teams have home games there and the Union and the AFL etc. We seem to miss out a fair bit; sometimes if Souths for example, have the game the night before they still get to play their U20 game there but because say there is a Union game the day after ours we only get the one game. Also if the weather has been inclement and the ground has taken a soaking U20 gets called off and moved. Did you get to the Manly game and notice how many players were slipping over? Don't think it was because they used short studs etc as several random players from both sides had the same issue. It was the day after the Union and it seemed as if they had mown the grass pretty short.We drove all the way down from Mid north coast and were unaware that the U20 game had been played on the Friday night at Belmore.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
That has happened a couple of times this year. Something to do with the ground having been over worked due to the fact that at least 5 NRL teams have home games there and the Union and the AFL etc. We seem to miss out a fair bit; sometimes if Souths for example, have the game the night before they still get to play their U20 game there but because say there is a Union game the day after ours we only get the one game. Also if the weather has been inclement and the ground has taken a soaking U20 gets called off and moved. Did you get to the Manly game and notice how many players were slipping over? Don't think it was because they used short studs etc as several random players from both sides had the same issue. It was the day after the Union and it seemed as if they had mown the grass pretty short.We drove all the way down from Mid north coast and were unaware that the U20 game had been played on the Friday night at Belmore.
Yeah I did notice that. Was even worse against the dragons. Montoya goes up for a bomb and slides along the ground on his butt!! They probably relaid the surface recently and it hasn't taken. ANZ is slippery at the best of times but it was really bad last week.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not a problem mate. Have heard around the grounds conflicting info, with some saying ONE game only on the day, some say two i.e. Firsts and whatever the Intrust becomes. I would dearly have loved to have gone back to the three games on the day. Makes for more value for money if you want to go early; my fondest memories of a Sunday game at Belmore was gates opening around 10am for a 10.30 kick off in third grade,followed by reserves then first grade.
That's something that really annoys me. You go to the ground & your team is only playing one game! If I am paying good money, I want value as well. Ah the good old days when you could watch all 3 grades & see the future before your eyes. I remember an under 20s prop kicking goals. I think his name was Dean Pay!

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So do the Broncos still have their players spread over 5 or 6 QLD Cup teams.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So do the Broncos still have their players spread over 5 or 6 QLD Cup teams.

Neither Titans, Cows, Broncos or Storm have a stand alone Intrust side in the NSW competition, instead spreading the excess players through the Qld Intrust.

Melbourne from what I have heard, are looking at an association with Newtown who have previously been in bed with Souths, Warriors, Roosters, Sharks ( twice) . At the moment they have two feeder club Falcons and Easts Tigers and a few years ago also sent excess players to the Sharks.

Nine of the Melbourne home matches in the now defunct U20 competition were played at the Sunshine coast stadium this year.

It has been the way to shall we say bring the various competitions together; so state based for the second tier competition is their solution.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
As of November sounds like they still haven't really figured things out yet..

NRL.com site is completely hopeless.

Under the new structure, approved by the Australian Rugby League Commission, both the NSWRL and Queensland Rugby League will run expanded competitions to comprise up to 16 second-tier clubs by 2022.

NSWRL CEO Dave Trodden said it was exciting to be moving towards the new structure with the states running state-based under-20 competitions, which replace the NRL’s National Youth Competition.

He said there is still a fair amount of detail to be finalised and NSWRL looks forward to working through that with all of its stakeholders.
Salary Cap all over again.. it'll be 2018 2 weeks before season launch and these idiots will still be trying to figure out what they are going to do.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
http://www.nrl.com/new-state-based-competitions/tabid/10874/newsid/102624/default.aspx

Two new state-based competitions will be run in NSW and Queensland from 2018 as part of a new pathway program for elite NRL players.

Under the new structure, approved by the Australian Rugby League Commission, each competition will be expanded and decentralised to comprise up to 16 second tier clubs.

NRL Head of Football, Brian Canavan said all NRL clubs will be encouraged to form partnerships with two of these teams from which they will draw talent for the Telstra Premiership.

The new competitions will replace the National Youth Competition which is not regarded as the most appropriate pathway for young players. The NYC has also become costly to run and has been identified as putting undue pressure on young players coming through the ranks.

"The new model is designed to provide a clearer pathway for elite junior players aiming to play in the NRL," Mr Canavan said.

"We have been concerned for some time about the welfare issues affecting many young players struggling to cope with the pressures of the NYC.

"This model will enable more juniors to stay at home, rather than having to move away from their families, to play Rugby League.

"And it will enable us to expand the game into regional and neighbouring overseas countries which we envisage will become part of the new State based competitions.

"It will also result in significant savings for clubs as they reduce their NYC costs and invest in the State League competitions instead."

Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga said the new structure was a major step forward for the game.

"Players coming through the ranks will now have a clear, dedicated pathway to the NRL and representative football," Mr Meninga said.

"The new model will not only help to expand the game both in Australia and overseas but it will provide better protection for young players at risk of developing welfare issues and being forced out of the game.

"So I can see the revised structure leading to better quality football on the field and a better support system for our young players off the field."

Under the proposed new model:

• The NRL is working with the RLPA to increase the number of players that clubs can include in their full time squad. Those who fail to make the final NRL squad will return to play in the State Cup

• Salary limitations for State Cup and the State Youth Cup are also being discussed with the RLPA

Mr Canavan said working conditions regarding young players are still subject to negotiation with the RLPA.

"The RLPA has been involved in these discussions which commenced well before the negotiation of the new CBA and we will continue to work to secure their agreement of the new model."

Mr Canavan said the new model would encourage clubs to develop junior players from their affiliated State Cup team – rather than simply recruiting them from other areas. It will also better cater for "later maturers" than the current system.

"The States will continue to operate their traditional junior competitions and State based Under 20s competitions," Mr Canavan said.

"But players from New Zealand and country regions will be able to stay in the game without having to leave home.

"We believe this is the best way to expand the game in the short term – and create a sustainable competition structure for the long term."

"The new competitions will replace the National Youth Competition which is not regarded as the most appropriate pathway for young players." I said this (as did MANY others) when they announced the NYC comp!

"Salary limitations for State Cup and the State Youth Cup are also being discussed with the RLPA." The NRL STILL hasn't got all the pay structures in for 2018? What sort of idiot is running this game? A PROFESSIONAL competition would have the 2019 salary caps in place by now!

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Make each NRL team have a reserve grade team that plays right before their NRL counterpart. No association with any other team. Each year every player outside these 2 grades can enter an NRL draft.

That way clubs only have to spend on 2 grades and players can progress at their own rate outside these 2 grades.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Make each NRL team have a reserve grade team that plays right before their NRL counterpart. No association with any other team. Each year every player outside these 2 grades can enter an NRL draft.

That way clubs only have to spend on 2 grades and players can progress at their own rate outside these 2 grades.
Problem with that is the teams are in two countries and 3 states. The costs associated with moving another 25 people all over the place every week would be astronomical. Essentially the Cows, Broncs, Titan, Warriors and Storm would be flying 50+ people and accommodating them every fortnight. What would you do with PNG? Fiji coming in next season? Newtown? Wenty? Would cost millions. That's why they use the two ISP comps.

Status
Not open for further replies.