NYC and NSW/QLD Cup competitions for 2018 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Does anyone have anything concrete on what's happening here?

From what I've read NYC was getting culled for a state competition, but NSW and QLD Cup competitions retained.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I could be very wrong but I'll give it a stab:

Titans are sending all their juniors to Tweed Heads.. QLD Cup, FOGS (u20), MMC (u18), CCC (u16). Broncos and Cowboys keep same clubs.

NSW: clubs will have first grade, some will keep a named cup side (like us), then the NSW cup side will have an u20-u23? Feeder side and then rmc and Sydney shield. Some clubs will be first grade only and their cup side will have the feeder sides under it.

Warriors have an SG Ball side next year too I think.

It's a giant cluster fuck.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Titans are sending all their juniors to Tweed Heads.. QLD Cup, FOGS (u20), MMC (u18), CCC (u16). Broncos and Cowboys keep same clubs.

NSW: clubs will have first grade, some will keep a named cup side (like us), then the NSW cup side will have an u20-u23? Feeder side and then rmc and Sydney shield. Some clubs will be first grade only and their cup side will have the feeder sides under it.

Clear as mud!

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

My understanding is a little different. FG is what it is. The reggies will be split along state lines so there is an ISP in Qld and NSW again pretty much as it is now. The U20s will just be a State Based comp with I think 16 teams in each comp. They will effectively mirror the other junior comps so you will have 16s/18s/20s being played. The origin games will still be played in U16/18/20s with reps from each state. NZ will play in NSW comps as will Fiji if and when they come in. PNG play in Qld comp. The only real confusion relates to gameday and whether it will just be a single FG game played or whether there will be the others as the NSWRL controls everything except FG now. It seems to be moving more towards the NFL type model.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
So we as a club will have:
  • Bulldogs NRL
  • Bulldogs Intrust Super Premiership
  • Bulldogs U20 - play only NSW based sides
  • Auburn Warriors RMC (NSW Cup feeder)
  • Moorebank Rams Sydney Shield (U20 feeder)
  • Bulldogs SG Ball
  • Bulldogs Harold Matts

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
So we as a club will have:
  • Bulldogs NRL
  • Bulldogs Intrust Super Premiership
  • Bulldogs U20 - play only NSW based sides
  • Auburn Warriors RMC (NSW Cup feeder)
  • Moorebank Rams Sydney Shield (U20 feeder)
  • Bulldogs SG Ball
  • Bulldogs Harold Matts
That sounds about right to me.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
That sounds about right to me.
I think Souths will run with their NRL side then the Bears as their Cup, U20 sides etc and then have both Souths labelled SG Ball and Matts. Some teams will have strange shit going on.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I think Souths will run with their NRL side then the Bears as their Cup, U20 sides etc and then have both Souths labelled SG Ball and Matts. Some teams will have strange shit going on.
I think you are right and the Jets will be subbing for the Sharks, Wyong for Chooks but it still kind of works out about the same as this year I think.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think you are right and the Jets will be subbing for the Sharks, Wyong for Chooks but it still kind of works out about the same as this year I think.
Sharks have ditched Newtown. Melbourne are looking to lock them down. They will send players to QLD and NSW.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
That's kinda what I expected. So NYC will co exist alongside NSW/QLD Cup to allow more scope for younger players. I.e 16 odd clubs per state instead of 16 all up?

Manly will be interesting.

Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles ISP
?? Shield

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
That's kinda what I expected. So NYC will co exist alongside NSW/QLD Cup to allow more scope for younger players. I.e 16 odd clubs per state instead of 16 all up?

?? Shield
That'll probably stay the same as well I think. I'm still more than curious about whether we have only one game to go to or whether they bring the reggies/20s along as well.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

?? Shield
It will be a smaller state comp for NSW. May run off the NSW Cup side of things.

Manly run Manly (NRL) > Blacktown (ISP) > Manly U20 > Blacktown RMC > Blacktown SS > Manly SG > Manly HM

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
dunno why they don't just have 3 grades and have all the ***** play on game day. u23s, Reserves, and NRL. would make for a much better experience on game day across the board.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
http://www.nrl.com/new-state-based-competitions/tabid/10874/newsid/102624/default.aspx

Two new state-based competitions will be run in NSW and Queensland from 2018 as part of a new pathway program for elite NRL players.

Under the new structure, approved by the Australian Rugby League Commission, each competition will be expanded and decentralised to comprise up to 16 second tier clubs.

NRL Head of Football, Brian Canavan said all NRL clubs will be encouraged to form partnerships with two of these teams from which they will draw talent for the Telstra Premiership.

The new competitions will replace the National Youth Competition which is not regarded as the most appropriate pathway for young players. The NYC has also become costly to run and has been identified as putting undue pressure on young players coming through the ranks.

"The new model is designed to provide a clearer pathway for elite junior players aiming to play in the NRL," Mr Canavan said.

"We have been concerned for some time about the welfare issues affecting many young players struggling to cope with the pressures of the NYC.

"This model will enable more juniors to stay at home, rather than having to move away from their families, to play Rugby League.

"And it will enable us to expand the game into regional and neighbouring overseas countries which we envisage will become part of the new State based competitions.

"It will also result in significant savings for clubs as they reduce their NYC costs and invest in the State League competitions instead."

Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga said the new structure was a major step forward for the game.

"Players coming through the ranks will now have a clear, dedicated pathway to the NRL and representative football," Mr Meninga said.

"The new model will not only help to expand the game both in Australia and overseas but it will provide better protection for young players at risk of developing welfare issues and being forced out of the game.

"So I can see the revised structure leading to better quality football on the field and a better support system for our young players off the field."

Under the proposed new model:

• The NRL is working with the RLPA to increase the number of players that clubs can include in their full time squad. Those who fail to make the final NRL squad will return to play in the State Cup

• Salary limitations for State Cup and the State Youth Cup are also being discussed with the RLPA

Mr Canavan said working conditions regarding young players are still subject to negotiation with the RLPA.

"The RLPA has been involved in these discussions which commenced well before the negotiation of the new CBA and we will continue to work to secure their agreement of the new model."

Mr Canavan said the new model would encourage clubs to develop junior players from their affiliated State Cup team – rather than simply recruiting them from other areas. It will also better cater for "later maturers" than the current system.

"The States will continue to operate their traditional junior competitions and State based Under 20s competitions," Mr Canavan said.

"But players from New Zealand and country regions will be able to stay in the game without having to leave home.

"We believe this is the best way to expand the game in the short term – and create a sustainable competition structure for the long term."

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Ahhh this may explain another reason linking with Keebra Park, if both comps are going to be decentralized.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
http://www.nrl.com/new-state-based-competitions/tabid/10874/newsid/102624/default.aspx

Two new state-based competitions will be run in NSW and Queensland from 2018 as part of a new pathway program for elite NRL players.

Under the new structure, approved by the Australian Rugby League Commission, each competition will be expanded and decentralised to comprise up to 16 second tier clubs.

NRL Head of Football, Brian Canavan said all NRL clubs will be encouraged to form partnerships with two of these teams from which they will draw talent for the Telstra Premiership.

The new competitions will replace the National Youth Competition which is not regarded as the most appropriate pathway for young players. The NYC has also become costly to run and has been identified as putting undue pressure on young players coming through the ranks.

"The new model is designed to provide a clearer pathway for elite junior players aiming to play in the NRL," Mr Canavan said.

"We have been concerned for some time about the welfare issues affecting many young players struggling to cope with the pressures of the NYC.

"This model will enable more juniors to stay at home, rather than having to move away from their families, to play Rugby League.

"And it will enable us to expand the game into regional and neighbouring overseas countries which we envisage will become part of the new State based competitions.

"It will also result in significant savings for clubs as they reduce their NYC costs and invest in the State League competitions instead."

Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga said the new structure was a major step forward for the game.

"Players coming through the ranks will now have a clear, dedicated pathway to the NRL and representative football," Mr Meninga said.

"The new model will not only help to expand the game both in Australia and overseas but it will provide better protection for young players at risk of developing welfare issues and being forced out of the game.

"So I can see the revised structure leading to better quality football on the field and a better support system for our young players off the field."

Under the proposed new model:

• The NRL is working with the RLPA to increase the number of players that clubs can include in their full time squad. Those who fail to make the final NRL squad will return to play in the State Cup

• Salary limitations for State Cup and the State Youth Cup are also being discussed with the RLPA

Mr Canavan said working conditions regarding young players are still subject to negotiation with the RLPA.

"The RLPA has been involved in these discussions which commenced well before the negotiation of the new CBA and we will continue to work to secure their agreement of the new model."

Mr Canavan said the new model would encourage clubs to develop junior players from their affiliated State Cup team – rather than simply recruiting them from other areas. It will also better cater for "later maturers" than the current system.

"The States will continue to operate their traditional junior competitions and State based Under 20s competitions," Mr Canavan said.

"But players from New Zealand and country regions will be able to stay in the game without having to leave home.

"We believe this is the best way to expand the game in the short term – and create a sustainable competition structure for the long term."
Thanks for that. Kind of confirms what I thought but still doesn't answer what happens on game day. I guess they are still working on that.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Thanks for that. Kind of confirms what I thought but still doesn't answer what happens on game day. I guess they are still working on that.
Not a problem mate. Have heard around the grounds conflicting info, with some saying ONE game only on the day, some say two i.e. Firsts and whatever the Intrust becomes. I would dearly have loved to have gone back to the three games on the day. Makes for more value for money if you want to go early; my fondest memories of a Sunday game at Belmore was gates opening around 10am for a 10.30 kick off in third grade,followed by reserves then first grade.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Not a problem mate. Have heard around the grounds conflicting info, with some saying ONE game only on the day, some say two i.e. Firsts and whatever the Intrust becomes. I would dearly have loved to have gone back to the three games on the day. Makes for more value for money if you want to go early; my fondest memories of a Sunday game at Belmore was gates opening around 10am for a 10.30 kick off in third grade,followed by reserves then first grade.
Agree. Used to love spending the day at the footy building up to the main game. Even now I try and get there for the 20s game. Really pisses me off when I get there though and they've decided to cancel the game and you stand around for a couple of hours scratching your nose and looking at the security dudes on plastic seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.