NSW Power Sale Poles and Wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wondering what other members thoughts are on the up coming election with the Liberals intention of selling off our states most valuable asset the electricity network.. I strongly believe that such an industry which is an essential service and a monopoly should remain in Public ownership..

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'll be voting against any such sale!!!

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
How about the public health system, don't they also have intentions of selling it along with the states electricity?

Please, I do not want to live under an American-style shitty health service..

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How about the public health system, don't they also have intentions of selling it along with the states electricity?

Please, I do not want to live under an American-style shitty health service..
Hospitals Tafes nothing's safe..The money generated from the electrical network helps fund hospitals schools the fire n rescue..I agree one hundred percent we don't want an Anerican system which only benefits the rich..

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Liberals, Labor, they are all the same corrupt mother****ers.

PS, do you really think our votes count for anything? They put in who they want.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

PS, do you really think our votes count for anything? They put in who they want.
Bingo!

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
TBH, I'd be open to the idea, depending on how it's set up.
At the moment, the power supply to the 'burgh is shit. I reset the clocks at least once a month. Last week I had a 10hour power outage !
Scaremongers would have you believe that contracting out services means it'll get worse, but that's not always the case. A good business model coupled with supply requirements cold see an improvement in the service.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
and in price!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It's the Chinese government who want to buy our electricity network!! Our bills will double no maintenance they only want to buy to make money..I'm sick of the Chinese owning our entire nation someone needs to say no..

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I haven't looked into the facts closely but I'm not really in favour of the sale of the network.

There's plenty of things in the past which were privatised which would have been much better kept in public hands.

Imagine the Commonwealth Bank or Telstra being run properly, making billions of dollars and that money being used for public services.

The problem is the government can't run anything properly and the unions screw everything because they make employing people unaffordable then they complain when everything is sold/outsourced/made overseas.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's the Chinese government who want to buy our electricity network!! Our bills will double no maintenance they only want to buy to make money..I'm sick of the Chinese owning our entire nation someone needs to say no..

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'll be voting against the liberals. It's literally the worst business model in the world to sell off one of the few things that the state owns that make massive profit to private companies. Private companies particularly those worth billions of dollars are not going to buy our assets so they can pass on goodwill and generate happy feelings. Whoever buys our power assets, hospitals etc will do so with the intention of making money off those least able to afford the price rises they will initiate. Furthermore when the government is not able to redirect the profits from electricity into other projects the shortfall will need to be covered by raising taxes.

Victoria sold off their assets while Howard was in power and the prices of electricity has skyrocketed since then.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Well put Alan also for myself a regional resident in NSW we will see nothing from the sale I couldn't give a shit about a road in Sydney which il never use but il be forced to pay higher electricity bills once its privatised..Also read more than two thirds of Victorian residents would welcome a government buy back of there electricity network..

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

I do believe governments get voted in , labour were demonized in the last election , most were saying we need a change even staunch labour voters that I knew.

they're sorry now ,but at the time they did vote against their normal party

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I do believe governments get voted in , labour were demonized in the last election , most were saying we need a change even staunch labour voters that I knew.

they're sorry now ,but at the time they did vote against their normal party
They want be making that mistake again.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
****ed if you do, ****ed if you don't.

The state still hasn't recovered from when the previous ALP lengthy term in government financially raped, pillaged and almost took the state to bankruptcy (yes it went that close).

Whilst I'm no fan though of the Liberal government (because I feel they are disorganised and whilst trying to fix the financial mess they got handed by the ALP, are not looking at it the right way).

There is no "us", no "we", no "everyone" in politics, there is only ME ME ME.

This all said though, I'm politically impartial (and have to be for one of my jobs), but I don't think the LNP (with Mike Baird at the helm) have had enough time to turn things around, and in fairness FINALLY we have infrastructure rolling (not talking about it), in regards to major road and transport projects (North/West Rail Link), M2 to M1 links, and the Connex Motorway links.
I doubt il vote for either party maybe the greens or shooters and fishers I'm purely going against the power sell off..As for infrastructure with record low interest rates and our states triple A credit rating due to still owning our electricity network why wouldn't we just borrow the money..If we borrowed 10billion over ten years its only 1 billion in interest when our poles and wires delivers almost 2 billion every year into the states coffers

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
****ed if you do, ****ed if you don't.

The state still hasn't recovered from when the previous ALP lengthy term in government financially raped, pillaged and almost took the state to bankruptcy (yes it went that close).

Whilst I'm no fan though of the Liberal government (because I feel they are disorganised and whilst trying to fix the financial mess they got handed by the ALP, are not looking at it the right way).

There is no "us", no "we", no "everyone" in politics, there is only ME ME ME.

This all said though, I'm politically impartial (and have to be for one of my jobs), but I don't think the LNP (with Mike Baird at the helm) have had enough time to turn things around, and in fairness FINALLY we have infrastructure rolling (not talking about it), in regards to major road and transport projects (North/West Rail Link), M2 to M1 links, and the Connex Motorway links.
Australia actually had some major projects underway under the labor government in terms of school and hospital upgrades which i see as being more important than some road projects which benefit a small portion of the country (Congrats if you live in Sydney and will use these roads). We also had the roll-out of the NBN. The NBN would have caught us up with the rest of the developed world in terms of internet speed and been of benefit to many businesses Australia wide. All of these projects created jobs which stabilized the economy during the financial crisis.

Our media will tell you the mining boom was responsible for our healthy financial position and if Rudds super profits tax had been passed that would have been closer to true, but in reality Howard allowed foreign ownership of our mines, so most of the profits went offshore. Rudd was actually trying to tax these foreign owners before the money went offshore but our media kept quiet about this fact and renamed the super profits tax to simply the super tax to scare us. The mining companies had the money to run a great scare campaign because mining does make super profit for the foreign billionaires that are raping our country for profit already. They sold a fairy tale that a huge portion of the country would have lost out on wages if this tax had gone through (only 2% of Australians are employed in mining in reality). Sad for those 2% of Australia on big money but it's not going to ruin the 98% of Australians that aren't employed in mining while it would have provided a massive amount of tax dollars to spend on infrastructure projects.

You obviously bought into the biased shit the Australian media sold during the election. I'm actually pretty disappointed with the bulk of Australia about that and it's as simple as this. Howard removed the laws which prevented people from owning the bulk of the media in this country so virtually every media outlet in the country is owned by a couple of people who "were" staunch Abbott supporters. I don't know what he promised them but they demonized Rudd and Gillard for their entire term in office.

Take for example the fact that Gillard was continually called corrupt for being the notary on a deal that was later found to have been not completely above board. All she did was write up a bill of sale in her capacity as a lawyer. She was cleared of any wrongdoing in this matter because she wrote a bill of sale and had no further involvement in the deal but by this time she had had her name smeared very badly. Compare it to this. The liberals have had at last count 9 members of parliament forced to resign quietly because they were caught taking bribes, more were implicated but never forced to resign. Now they stepped down quietly because they were corrupt beyond any shadow of doubt. Now you may not have heard a massive amount about this because as i said our biased media have their liberal agenda.

It's all well and good to say that the state was nearly bankrupt due to labor spending but again i compare the Australian media reporting to the reports of the media round the world. In Australia our media told us that we fared badly through the global financial crisis while outlets around the world spoke enviously about how well we fared through the crisis.

When the liberals are voted out at the next election they will leave the new government in a deeper hole than they were supposedly in when they came to power because unemployment is at it's highest point in many years and many small businesses are already struggling due to this and will close soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.