Status
Not open for further replies.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
NSW Blues need a total cleanout if they are ever going to be competitive
By Phil Rothfield
June 17, 2010 Sack the selectors. Sack Craig Bellamy. Sack Geoff Carr. Sack the ballboys. Sack the whole team.

It doesn't matter because there is no coach, no selectors or no players born south of Tweed Heads who could get anywhere near this Queensland team.

I've watched every Origin game and I've never seen a team any better than this Maroons outfit.

Even in the days of Langer, Lewis, Miles, Meninga, Shearer and co, they weren't as dominant as the current side.

The Blues had a reasonable dig on Wednesday night but were severely punished and outclassed by a far superior team.

If an Australia side were picked today, not one NSW player would go anywhere near a green and gold jersey.

Thurston, Lockyer, Inglis, Slater, Smith and Folau are just too strong, too classy, too brilliant, too everything.

NSW tried the aggression with headbutts and high tackles. But class wins Origins.

Billy Slater turned the contest with Jarryd Hayne into a duel more lopsided than Germany and Australia in the soccer.

If Hayne is a $500,000-a-year player, Slater should be on $1 million. He was like a Ferrari against an old Commodore.

So where to now for NSW?

It's obvious we'll have a new coach next year. Bellamy has had his chance. Des Hasler or John Cartwright are probably the two best club options.

Or do we start all over again and do something more drastic?

I'd suggest it was time to sweep a massive broom through the entire NSW Rugby League.

We need a long-term plan, a full-time coach, a high-performance unit and much more professionalism.

We need to get rid of the old officials who have stumbled for a decade but remain unaccountable.

What happened in camp prior to the game and what happened on the football field showed that the Maroons are light years ahead of us.

Surely State of Origin generates enough money these days for NSW to appoint a Ricky Stuart, a Laurie Daley or, dare I say it, a Phil Gould fulltime.

We won't beat Queensland next year but at least we can start planning and building towards a team capable of matching it with the Maroons.

At the moment, we're just not on the same playing field.

We've acknowledged this is the greatest Queensland side of all time but we should be more competitive.

We no longer have a Laurie Daley, a Brad Fittler, a Ricky Stuart, a Brett Kenny, a Peter Sterling, a Brad Clyde, a Glenn Lazarus, Joey Johns or Andrew Ettingshausen like the good old days.

For game three at Homebush we can throw in Michael Jennings, give Kade Snowden a go, bring back Timana Tahu, try John Sutton or Beau Champion.

But it won't make any difference. They'll still be too good for us.

We need to start all over again.
NSW Player Ratings
JARRYD HAYNE - He was completely outclassed by opposite number Billy Slater in a much-hyped battle of the fullbacks. Rating: 4.5.
JOEL MONAGHAN - Timana Tahu's replacement had an indifferent game and made some errors, although he did cop some poor passes. Rating: 4.
MATT COOPER - He was terrorised and outleaped by Israel Folau, who scored two tries on his side. Also picked up a hamstring injury. Rating: 3.
BEAU SCOTT - The Dragons centre was brought into the side to contain Greg Inglis but failed miserably in his NSW debut. Foolishly took on Inglis in a minor scuffle, with Queensland winning the penalty. Rating: 2.
BRETT MORRIS - His defence was pleasing, especially in the 25th minute when he saved a certain try with good cover defence on Billy Slater. The pick of the Blues players. Rating: 6.
TRENT BARRETT - Didn't really have a bad game but never threatened the Maroons. Could be his last Origin. Rating: 5.
MITCHELL PEARCE - Never got a chance to shine behind a beaten pack. Kicking game could've been better. Rating: 6.
MICHAEL WEYMAN - Failed to make an impact but he certainly wasn't alone among the Blues forwards. Rating: 3.
MICHAEL ENNIS - Ineffective but again he was playing in a pack smashed by the Maroons. Rating: 2.5.
BRETT WHITE - Had few touches but he did score the Blues' only try. Rating: 3.
NATHAN HINDMARSH - Put in his usual industrious performance but, like Barrett, he may never play for NSW again. Rating: 6.
BEN CREAGH - A gain of 24m says it all. Disppointing. Rating: 3.5.
PAUL GALLEN - Hardly sighted and failed to deliver on his instructions to smash the Queenslanders. Was cited for a high shot on Nate Myles which didn't look good. Rating: 2.
KURT GIDLEY - Was always going to be under pressure as the first captain in Origin history to start from the bench. He was solid but made some uncharacteristic errors. Rating: 4.5.
TRENT WATERHOUSE - Worked hard in defence from the bench but did nothing special. Rating: 4.
TOM LEAROYD-LAHRS - Made 28 tackles and a gain of 70m. Solid effort off the bench. Rating: 5.
LUKE O'DONNELL - He's sure to be suspended for a spear tackle on Darius Boyd. Took the aggression too far. Rating: 4.

Queensland Player Ratings
BILLY SLATER - Magnificent under the high ball and razor sharp in attack showing amazing field coverage to defuse the kicking games of Mitchell Pearce and Trent Barrett. His speed saved at least two tries. Rating: 8.5.
DARIUS BOYD - Outstanding on the left again scoring his fifth Origin try and guarding his touchline superbly against late inclusion Monaghan. 7.
GREG INGLIS - Was fuelled up by pre-game racial slurs and came out highly fired up. Smashed through the Blues with sheer power to set the scene for Queensland's try spree. 7.5
WILLIE TONGA - Solid on the right and rewarded for his hard work with a try after Slater outjumped Jarryd Hayne and tapped the ball back. 7.
ISRAEL FOLAU - Showed just what a huge loss he will be when he crosses over to AFL with a try double to take his Origin tally to seven in as many appearances. Delivered on his promise to coach Mal Meninga to repay selector's faith. 7.5.
DARREN LOCKYER - Equalled Mal Meninga's record of 32 games with another magnificent performance in the No.6 jersey. His effort to set Folau's second try with two dummies showed why NSW can't wait for him to retire. 8.
JOHNATHAN THURSTON - Followed up his first game man-of-the-match with another five star performance. Worked superbly with his skipper and his vision on the field is very special. 8.
MATT SCOTT - Petero Civoniceva and Steve Price would have loved to have been playing but they also would have enjoyed watching Scott confirm his arrival as a long-time Origin prop. 20 tackles and almost 100 metres. Top effort. 8.
CAMERON SMITH - Kicked two 40-20 attempts out on the full early but as usual held the middle third of the field together with some crucial tackles. Very busy night. 7.5.
DAVE SHILLINGTON - Was in the thick of everything and like Scott has a place in the Maroons pack for some time. Carved out an almost 130 brutal metres and was in the thick of the brawling. 7.5.
SAM THAIDAY - Close to the best on the ground with a lion-hearted effort with the ball and defending. Fired up when the brawl erupted in the first half and kept ripping into the Blues until the siren. 8.5.
NATE MYLES - Took a couple of massive hits early and had his night ended by a high shot in the chin by NSW forward Paul Gallen which could be raised by the Maroons camp. 7.
ASHLEY HARRISON - As usual did his job with a minimum of fuss. Worked hard and kept his mistakes down. 7.
Interchange:
COOPER CRONK - Will remember his second Origin after scoring a solo try in the second half. [6.5.
BEN HANNANT - Back in the maroon jumper and played with his usual passion and involved himself heavily. 7.
NEVILLE COSTIGAN - Came up with his usual rib rattlers and did exactly what Meninga wanted from him. 6.5.
DAVE TAYLOR - Got involved in the rough stuff and threw punches around as well his 125kgs. 7.
LOL @ his rating for Gidley & Pearce :confused:

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
New South Wales selectors Bob McCarthy and Laurie Daley ready to quit
By David Beniuk
June 17, 2010 At least two of New South Wales' four State of Origin selectors are prepared to fall on their swords in the wake of the Blues' unprecedented fifth-straight series loss.

Chairman Bob McCarthy and Country Origin coach Laurie Daley say they are ready to quit their posts if the sweeping review announced by NSWRL boss Geoff Carr recommends they do so.

The Blues selection panel of McCarthy, Daley, Bob Fulton and Geoff Gerard have come under fire for NSW finding itself in Origin oblivion, with a massive player turnover in the past five years.

"We do this solely for the love of the game, we don't get any money so we're getting kicked in the teeth for nothing," McCarthy said.

"We do it a bit tough, we do it like the players and everyone else who is associated with it because we want to see NSW do well.

"But, by the same token, if they want to get rid of us I'm quite prepared to step down.

"It's an honorary job and if someone else wants to take my spot they can take it."

McCarthy has been on representative football selection panels since 1994.

Asked if he would step down, he said: "I don't know, I'm getting a bit long in the tooth ... we'll just take each case on its merits."

Daley said he wasn't feeling pressured but was happy to move on.

"If I'm no longer asked to do that role, I'm happy to stand aside," he said.

" ... If they don't think we're doing it properly I think you give someone else a go.

"You're disappointed, you get upset but it's not pressure.

"Pressure's when you're in life-and-death situations."

Regardless of whether the panel survives 2010, they will pick a team for game three this season.

Whether they stick with the experienced campaigners who have lost the series or start from scratch with a young team featuring the likes of Jamal Idris, Josh Dugan and Todd Carney will be hotly debated.

"Whenever we drop anyone the media are the first to jump on our backs so now you want us to drop people, you can't have both slices of the cake," McCarthy said.

"I don't know whether we can improve that side.

"It might be a different game in Sydney, they might relax a little bit and we can come home over the top like we did last year but let's think about it before everyone starts jumping to conclusions.

"Let's see what's there after the dust has settled."
Hopefully they do both fark off and take the rest of them with them.Daley is one i really wanna see piss off with his Dragons love!!!

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So what exactly did this bloke say in the article that anyone hasn't already noticed? Queensland are better? **** me, is THAT why we keep losing?

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
NSW Player Ratings

JARRYD HAYNE - He was completely outclassed by opposite number Billy Slater in a much-hyped battle of the fullbacks. Rating: 4.5.
He was outmatched statistically - 5.

JOEL MONAGHAN - Timana Tahu's replacement had an indifferent game and made some errors, although he did cop some poor passes. Rating: 4.
I have NO recollection of poor passes. Just ineptitude from someone who's name has barely been called out all season. - 3.

MATT COOPER - He was terrorised and outleaped by Israel Folau, who scored two tries on his side. Also picked up a hamstring injury. Rating: 3.
After tearing his hamstring (is he related to Shane Watson by chance?) was put-down by vets behind a tarp on the ground. RIP Coops rep career .... thank goodness. - 1.

BEAU SCOTT - The Dragons centre was brought into the side to contain Greg Inglis but failed miserably in his NSW debut. Foolishly took on Inglis in a minor scuffle, with Queensland winning the penalty. Rating: 2.
Ran and tackled with purpose. Did not shy away from the Inglis challenge one iota. A shining light in a well beaten team - 7.

BRETT MORRIS - His defence was pleasing, especially in the 25th minute when he saved a certain try with good cover defence on Billy Slater. The pick of the Blues players. Rating: 6.
A solid performance without showing any spark. Defensive reads need work. - 6.

TRENT BARRETT - Didn't really have a bad game but never threatened the Maroons. Could be his last Origin. Rating: 5.
The best 5/8th NSW has had during the entire streak of lost series. Played with intensity and physicality and led from the front. Great captains knock in a beaten side. - 7.

MITCHELL PEARCE - Never got a chance to shine behind a beaten pack. Kicking game could've been better. Rating: 6.
Tackled his ring off. Ran with confidence and purpose close to the line. - 6.5

MICHAEL WEYMAN - Failed to make an impact but he certainly wasn't alone among the Blues forwards. Rating: 3.
The longer the game went the quieter he seemed to get. - 5.

MICHAEL ENNIS - Ineffective but again he was playing in a pack smashed by the Maroons. Rating: 2.5.
Imposed himself physically and never shirked the big collisions in defence. Terrorised kickers and first recievers all night. Good service from dummy half but needs to vary attack more. - 7

BRETT WHITE - Had few touches but he did score the Blues' only try. Rating: 3.
Good but limited service in attack. Solid in defence. Great try. - 6.5

NATHAN HINDMARSH - Put in his usual industrious performance but, like Barrett, he may never play for NSW again. Rating: 6.
Inspirational as always to team-mates. No nonsense performance in a losing side. - 6.5

BEN CREAGH - A gain of 24m says it all. Disppointing. Rating: 3.5.
Defends with sting, runs with purpose and plays up-a-gear at Origin from Dragons form. - 5.

PAUL GALLEN - Hardly sighted and failed to deliver on his instructions to smash the Queenslanders. Was cited for a high shot on Nate Myles which didn't look good. Rating: 2.
Bled from a head wound delivering 13 hitups for 112m. Mission accomplished smashing Qld'ers. - 7.

KURT GIDLEY - Was always going to be under pressure as the first captain in Origin history to start from the bench. He was solid but made some uncharacteristic errors. Rating: 4.5.
Characteristic fumbles under pressure reared their ugly head near the line again. Completely useless. - 2.

TRENT WATERHOUSE - Worked hard in defence from the bench but did nothing special. Rating: 4.
Come on after Qld had established ascendency and was largely ineffective. - 4.

TOM LEAROYD-LAHRS - Made 28 tackles and a gain of 70m. Solid effort off the bench. Rating: 5.
Twice as effective as Waterhouse. A future NSW great in the making who plays beyond his age. - 5.5

LUKE O'DONNELL - He's sure to be suspended for a spear tackle on Darius Boyd. Took the aggression too far. Rating: 4.
The star for NSW. The right aggresion. The right intimidation. The right ingredients to get underneath the skin of the seemingly impenetrable Qld psyche. Sacrificed his sh*tty club duties in vain for NSW glory. Put his body on the line for every minute. - 9.5

***************​

Did me 'n'Buzz watch the same game ???

Barba's Barber

puppy power
Reaction score
I agree that Pierce played well considering that no team in the history of the NRL could have beaten QLD last night. He tried his butt off poor thing..
O'Donell won my vote for NSW MOTM. What a white wash! I was in awe of Queensland's performance
I'm just lucky that I am used to disappointing performances (Bulldogs) this season or else this game would have upset me more lol

Status
Not open for further replies.