NRL's plan to split comp into conference system

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

The NRL has reportedly floated a plan to split the competition into two conferences – not unlike models seen in American sports – which would see new teams added in Brisbane and New Zealand.

The Sydney Morning Herald's Michael Chammas reports, the bold pitch is part of the game's expansion plans, with the issue of maximising TV broadcast revenue believed to be at the centre of the move.

NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo and chairman Peter V'landys have reportedly met with several clubs over the past fortnight to outline the long-term vision for the game.

Abdo is believed to be the driving force behind the move that would see the competition expand from 16 to 18 teams, allowing the NRL to set up a two conference system, much like the NBA.

One of the most respected figures in the game, Wayne Bennett, says the plan has his backing.

"It's a great sale point," Bennett told The Sydney Morning Herald. "America does it in the Super Bowl. The biggest drawing final games we've had are when there are two Sydney teams. I went through it with the Dragons when we played the Tigers in the prelim. There was over 60 or 70,000 people there.

"The reality is the biggest crowds at finals times is when local teams play each other. They don't get crowds when you get Brisbane or Melbourne against a Sydney team."

One of the conferences would be built on the intense local Sydney rivalries - placing the Roosters, Rabbitohs, Eels, Bulldogs, Tigers, Panthers, Dragons, Sharks and Sea Eagles into one Sydney conference.

The other conference would include the Broncos, Titans, Cowboys, Storm, Warriors, Knights, Raiders and new teams in Brisbane, which are expected to be added into the competition in 2023, and a second team in New Zealand in the following years.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gee I wonder who is always going to be on top in the 2nd conference?

Not surprisingly, we are in the most difficult.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So you would play everyone in your conference 3 times is that correct? To me that’s better and fairer than playing some teams once and others twice.

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
Sydney Teams major advantage with no travel

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Qld teams major advantage with no competition. The GF will be embarrassing.

Go Dogs

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Recruitment will be crucial. I'd imagine it'll be harder to entice the out of state players to sign with Sydney teams when the majority of the season is played in Sydney. Pretty much means you stay in Sydney most of the year. Surely that'll be difficult, especially if you're family lives interstate.

Last edited:

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gee I wonder who is always going to be on top in the 2nd conference?

Not surprisingly, we are in the most difficult.
Would you prefer they put the dogs with the out of towners?
Fuck me dead mate. If we find things difficult we need to improve.
A simple life lesson.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Would you prefer they put the dogs with the out of towners?
Fuck me dead mate. If we find things difficult we need to improve.
A simple life lesson.
I just think there is a VERY easy side with only really Melbourne who are great & the other conference which is packed with great teams.

Just have half the Sydney teams in each division & initially divide it up evenly based on where they finish. That the fair way to do it.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So you would play everyone in your conference 3 times is that correct? To me that’s better and fairer than playing some teams once and others twice.
It depends on how they do it. They did something similar years ago. You played everybody in your conference twice & then the other conference once when there were less teams. It was also based on where teams finished the previous season. It was later changed (corrupted) because clubs wanted more money & wanted more derbies like Dogs v Eels, Dragons or Rabbitohs & Manly V Parra.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I just think there is a VERY easy side with only really Melbourne who are great & the other conference which is packed with great teams.

Just have half the Sydney teams in each division & initially divide it up evenly based on where they finish. That the fair way to do it.
This.

There is no way it would work with half the teams never having to travel and the other half flying for hours every other weekend.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Keep it to 16 teams. 22 rounds. You play everyone in your conference twice and teams in the other conference once.

Two sydney teams need to be canned, that way you can include another in QLD and one in Perth or NZ.

In my opinion it’s borderline idiotic that there isn’t an NRL draft. It would be the easiest way to bring more fans into the game. The excitement a draft generates is insane and the money that would follow would allow league to then increase the salary cap which would bring more players into the game. Every team should have a second grade side but junior sides should be independent from the clubs which would hopefully result in more specialized positional coaching if the NRL funded developmental high school programs or specific youth leagues.

Obviously there would be a short term loss but in the long term the gains would be substantial.

You could then reformat the NRL nines comp and that would be a way for the clubs to showcase their recently drafted players in a competition that would allow them to showcase their skill and generate excitement leading into the season.

Last edited:

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Keep it to 16 teams. 22 rounds. You play everyone in your conference twice and teams in the other conference once.

Two sydney teams need to be canned, that way you can include another in QLD and one in Perth or NZ.

In my opinion it’s borderline idiotic that there isn’t an NRL draft. It would be the easiest way to bring more fans into the game. The excitement a draft generates is insane and the money that would follow would allow league to then increase the salary cap which would bring more players into the game. Every team should have a second grade side but junior sides should be independent from the clubs which would hopefully result in more specialized positional coaching if the NRL funded developmental high school programs or specific youth leagues.

Obviously there would be a short term loss but in the long term the gains would be substantial.

You could then reformat the NRL nines comp and that would be a way for the clubs to showcase their recently drafted players in a competition that would allow them to showcase their skill and generate excitement leading into the season.
So which teams get axed? And we did have a draft when the salary cap was introduced but it was legally challenged by Terry Hill & found to be a restraint of trade. The only reason it continues in the AFL is because the AFL & the AFLPA agree to it. If a player ever decides to challenge it then there will be trouble.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not a fan.
When we had super league I really only watched super league because of the bulldogs.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
The Sydney conference have the advantage of not having to travel much, while the other one will do lots of travelling. Adding the teams to make it happen will dilute the talent pool.

Yeh they have conferences in the NFL. But in the USA they have 330 million people, a lot of well funded teams, and a huge talent pool.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

I don't think a draft will ever really work for the NRL because nobody is dedicated to producing junior talent if not for the clubs they're contracted to. The NRL certainly don't seem keen to dish up money for junior academies. Every financial move they've made in recent years seems to be with the intent to cut club spending. Crowds for NRL games aren't even that great, so support for lower grades of League wouldn't be there either by my way of thinking. And if you canned two Sydney teams you're likely to lose a big portion of the fans who support them.

Ideally the NRL administration would see the value in trying to improve the quality of players coming through by spending the money to identify talent and nurture it. But it seems like anything that doesn't directly make money isn't on the radar.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don't think a draft will ever really work for the NRL because nobody is dedicated to producing junior talent if not for the clubs they're contracted to. The NRL certainly don't seem keen to dish up money for junior academies. Every financial move they've made in recent years seems to be with the intent to cut club spending. Crowds for NRL games aren't even that great, so support for lower grades of League wouldn't be there either by my way of thinking. And if you canned two Sydney teams you're likely to lose a big portion of the fans who support them.

Ideally the NRL administration would see the value in trying to improve the quality of players coming through by spending the money to identify talent and nurture it. But it seems like anything that doesn't directly make money isn't on the radar.
Yeah I agree that every move the NRL makes seems to be done to cut costs but for the good of the game it needs to evolve, less and less children are growing up wanting to play NRL, the way it's going isn't sustainable. Clubs see higher game day ticket sales when teams give the fans something to be excited about. The draft would create stories, the fans would get to know the juniors coming through and what they are about. Once you get storylines going, then the sport looks more lucrative to major sponsors, the TV deal would have to increase because more and more fans will tune in to see who their clubs are thinking of drafting.

I understand that it failed before but the only major stumbling block would be getting the RLPA on board which wont be an issue once you show them the potential money they could be pocketing.