News NRL under pressure from clubs to censor Phil Gould

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I didn't mention what's working and what's not but i could. Like the fact he's left gaping holes in the current roster even excluding injuries. Who knows how much better he might be if he was fully focused on the job he's getting paid elite money for?
What are the gaping holes? No front row? How many would a club typically carry in their 30? Im pretty sure any club would struggle if they had 4 of their top 30 contracted front rowers out at any given time. His strategy is to fix the lower grades and build a strong pathways system to FG which takes time but if you look at the lower grade results there is a lot of potential there already.

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is earning it. He can't help a spate of injuries to key players.

Man is entitled to his opinions. All the commentators have them. John's never stops dribbling shit.
Not buying it sorry. My issue is him being paid $1 million by Canterbury and running around like a media tart mouthing off in all his other BS media engagements. Many of his comments are polarizing and many of these comments are going to put the club in a bad light. His comments around concussions is a good recent example. Eventually he is going to have to choose between the media or the club.

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are the gaping holes? No front row? How many would a club typically carry in their 30? Im pretty sure any club would struggle if they had 4 of their top 30 contracted front rowers out at any given time. His strategy is to fix the lower grades and build a strong pathways system to FG which takes time but if you look at the lower grade results there is a lot of potential there already.
Try a decent experienced 7 and 1 for starters. These should have been a PRIORITY for THIS YEAR.

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No worries mate I’ll just go pick another $50 off the back tree.
Seriously he still hasn't signed a tried and tested fullback for next year has he? Is Oloapu our next great 7? Maybe, but not in the next 2 years.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This has Demetriou written all over it. Salty bitch ganging with Robinson where's the Souths Roosters hate now. Gus eats this shit up usually but the pressure is mounting, hope CC is careful tonight with the FOX interview these pricks love to bait the club.

Froggo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What a joke. Every coach press conference Robinson and Dermatitis complain about all the foul play against their teams , yet Murray and Walker are good for a hip drop every game.
NRL only want 4 Team Storm, Broncos, Roosters and Rabbits.
John’s is bias to Knights
Freddy to Rorters
Brandy to Panthers
Smith, Slater, Cronk to Storm

load of crap article

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Seriously he still hasn't signed a tried and tested fullback for next year has he? Is Oloapu our next great 7? Maybe, but not in the next 2 years.
Mate there is not exactly a plethora of gun halfbacks available but himself and Ciro were able to convince an immensely talented young kid to join the squad and barring injury he will play FG this year. When you have huge roster imbalances and long contracts to players who don’t fit your strategy moving forward it takes a few years to fix it not 1 off season. He and Ciro will get some wrong but so far he’s got a lot more right since he has been here.

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate there is not exactly a plethora of gun halfbacks available but himself and Ciro were able to convince an immensely talented young kid to join the squad and barring injury he will play FG this year. When you have huge roster imbalances and long contracts to players who don’t fit your strategy moving forward it takes a few years to fix it not 1 off season. He and Ciro will get some wrong but so far he’s got a lot more right since he has been here.
What do you think about his comments in the media? Does he speak on behalf of the club he is paid $1 million from or are they his own comments?

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I can't see any possible legitimate grounds to shut down Gould from expressing opinions on general rugby league stories, such as the Suaalii circus. Seems to me, if it upsets people, then tough luck.

I have said it before, that the media operates on the formula of emotion, drama and controversy. The article above is a perfect example of confected drama and controversy. Calling out Gould, when he does it, is somewhat hypocritical.

The clouded area though, is refereeing. He's paid to give his expertise and opinions. The NRL will have to decide if that's a conflict of interest, with his club role.

Personally, I think it would be healthier to have far more scrutiny of referees. At the moment, they escape a lot of criticism because most media are far too cowardly to call them out. This has resulted in years of incompetence, and suspicion of cheating. Something that appears more blatant than ever in recent times.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
What do you think about his comments in the media? Does he speak on behalf of the club he is paid $1 million from or are they his own comments?
I think 80-90% of his comments are spot on and what most don’t have the balls to say. Sometimes he goes over the top to protect certain players but most of it is what we are all thinking anyway.

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The clouded area though, is refereeing. He's paid to give his expertise and opinions. The NRL will have to decide if that's a conflict of interest, with his club role.
This is clearly a conflict of interest.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What he says in the media reflects his personal views most of the time. Most things he says are game at large issues he sees. Most don’t directly effect the Bulldogs at all.

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think 80-90% of his comments are spot on and what most don’t have the balls to say. Sometimes he goes over the top to protect certain players but most of it is what we are all thinking anyway.
Your comment is valid if he's not the head of a club's football department.

GoblinSlayer

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I can't see any possible legitimate grounds to shut down Gould from expressing opinions on general rugby league stories, such as the Suaalii circus. Seems to me, if it upsets people, then tough luck.

I have said it before, that the media operates on the formula of emotion, drama and controversy. The article above is a perfect example of confected drama and controversy. Calling out Gould, when he does it, is somewhat hypocritical.

Personally, I think it would be healthier to have far more scrutiny of referees. At the moment, they escape a lot of criticism because most media are far too cowardly to call them out. This has resulted in years of incompetence, and suspicion of cheating. Something that appears more blatant than ever in recent times.
100% spot on.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Here’s a tip, instead of censoring Gould, why not instead take on board what he’s saying and then evaluate it, if it’s warranted, do something about it, if it’s not, come out and discredit what he’s saying, show where he’s wrong.

The biggest issue in the game is still the way it’s refereed, it’s so bad that it’s turning viewers and fans away and a lot of the ones who are hanging in there are starting to mention words like corruption, unless you’re a fan of the “top clubs that is” …

Personally I don’t watch every game, maybe a couple of the bigger games and of cause I watch our teams …. the difference in the way they ref the top teams as opposed to the bottom teams is atrocious, similar to how they ref SOO ..

First game of the season, every teams wanting to get off to a good start, we’re in a 6 all battle and one of our players is sent to the bin for nothing more than touching a playing … and no one’s allowed to call anyone out on that s*** … wtf ..

View attachment 68580

Our players are playing their guts out and in front, and this laughable obstruction is called a try, they disallow that every week, that call cost us 2 valuable points … everyone’s saying good on the referees for finally using common sense there, ok where was this f****** common sense yesterday when they disallowed our try calling it obstruction, that Eels player had zero chance of ever stopping that try, “where’s the common sense in our favour” and no one’s allowed to say anything about this shit ?

View attachment 68581

Ok shut the f***up move onto the next game, we’ve had a bad first half and mounting a strong come back in the second, and Preston gets sent to the bin for this ridiculous hip drop call ruining any chances we had, no charge to answer for which is an admission they got it wrong, but hey stfu, say nothing again keep coping our atrocious refereeing, but don’t you say anything about it ..

View attachment 68584

Yesterdays game the Dogs we’re pinged for every little infringement, not one 50/50 call went their way, they were beyond micro ref’ed .. meanwhile infringements we we’re being pinged for, the Eels were getting away with, when below where their markers ever straight …. since when is a crusher tackle, accidental or not, not penalised ?

View attachment 68582

These stats below are beyond ridiculous …

View attachment 68583

The biggest blight on the game is the referees being mic’ed up, they’re not refereeing the game, the voices in their ears are .. upstairs are refereeing the game through the mic’s and the on field ref is just their robot .. that tells me the Nrl are controlling games instead of refereeing them and thats having a baring on the outcome of each game ...

I for one am glad we have a GM that’s not a sheep like the rest of them … also I’m sure there’s thousands of pieces of evidence that proves Gould doesn’t just call out the crap we cop, he calls out the crap that happens in every club, and so he should, and so should more people, if everyone spoke up maybe the Nrlol would finally do something about it … get the mic’s of their heads, fix the refereeing, they won’t get called out as much, more people will apply for refereeing jobs … or maybe they like it the way it is, if that’s the case, why do they ???
Yet people say we aren't mistreated. All evidence in those photos says otherwise.