NRL transfer news: Bulldogs close in on Panthers prop, Titans snare Warriors flyer

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The battling Bulldogs need people at the club who aren’t afraid to take a backward step.
In emerging Penrith forward Jack Hetherington, they have their man.
The hot-headed front-rower is in the final stages of negotiating a deal to quit Penrith and join Canterbury from next season.

In a sign that Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett is prepared to ignore the turmoil at board level and continue planning for 2021, Hetherington is closer than ever before to a move to Belmore.
On contract until the end of 2021 at the Panthers, Hetherington and the Penrith management have agreed on his release from the club and are in the final stages of negotiation, which would alleviate salary cap pressure.

The Panthers stressed cap and struggle to retain 11 soon-to-be off-contract players has also forced the departure of fullback Caleb Aekins to Canberra from next season.

The Dogs spent the last 48 hours finalising their offer for the son of former Canberra premiership-winning prop Brett Hetherington.

In a clear sign of his need to tone down his aggression, Hetherington, 24, has managed a total of just 23 games since making his NRL debut in 2018 due to five suspensions.

Playing two and six games for Penrith and on loan with the Warriors respectively this season, Hetherington created headlines mid-year after a running battle with Roosters enforcer Jared Waerea-Hargreaves.

Waerea-Hargreaves appeared to knock back Hetherington’s offer of a post-game handshake.

As the current assistant coach of Penrith, Barrett has an understanding of Hetherington’s game and why he believes he can be an asset to the Dogs.

The incoming Bulldogs coach has made it clear he would refrain from poaching players out of Penrith to Canterbury, if he didn’t have permission from the Panthers.

Hetherington is one of 11 players off-contract at Penrith, who otherwise will be eligible to negotiate with rival clubs from November 11.

A major reason for Hetherington’s departure from Penrith is due to opportunity. With such a talented pack at his disposal, Penrith coach Ivan Cleary has frequently overlooked Hetherington, most recently from his 21-man squad to face the Roosters in the opening week of the finals.

The Dogs are eager to replenish their forward stocks following the departure of Aiden Tolman, Sauaso Sue and Corey Harawira-Neara mid-year.

Barrett has already signed Manly forward Corey Waddell to the club.

TITANS SWOOP ON WARRIOR

By Peter Badel

The Titans have bolstered their backline stocks for next season with the addition of Warriors utility back Patrick Herbert.

Unwanted by the Warriors for next season, the 23-year-old has signed a one-year deal with the Titans as Gold Coast coach Justin Holbrook looks to add depth to his threequarters.

A goalkicking centre or winger, Herbert played 13 games for the Warriors this year and had a strong finish, scoring five tries in his final three games for the New Zealand club.

Herbert made his NRL debut last year and brings 21 games of experience to the Gold Coast, where he look to break into an improving Titans side eyeing a finals campaign in 2021.

Earlier this season, the Titans picked up prop Sam Lisone from New Zealand and Herbert is relishing the chance to reunite with his former Warriors teammate.

“I can’t wait to play footy with the group that are at the Titans already and with the lads that are coming next season,” Herbert said.

“The team finished the season really strongly and I’m excited by what we can do next year.

“I know a few of the guys already and I obviously know Sammy (Lisone) who used to be at the Warriors, so I’m looking forward to getting in to pre-season and meeting the rest of the squad.

“I’m having another baby soon and this also gives us a great opportunity to be closer to my partner’s family, so as well as being excited about the on-field opportunities at the Gold Coast, the move is also great for my family.”

Herbert will officially join the Titans when pre-season begins in late November.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Not a fan of this signing (a better signing than what Napa was, and he'll be on less money) but better than nothing I guess. Just get a good hooker done and Burton for either next year or the year afterwards and I'll be okay with the recruitment...

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Not a fan of this signing (a better signing than what Napa was, and he'll be on less money) but better than nothing I guess. Just get a good hooker done and Burton for either next year or the year afterwards and I'll be okay with the recruitment...
Depends on our other signings really. I'd like to see another prop come in and if that's the case then it's a great signing for sure.

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
His only highlight is a minor scuffle with JWH...

Below average signing at best. Penrith and NZ aren't puuting up a fight for him.
Not true. He was the dominant forward on the field in that game, and a few more that followed.

And The Warriors were more than interested in keeping him, verging on the desperate. But he publicly knocked them back because he wants to live in Oz in general and Sydney in particular.

High potential for the right coach to mould.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Idk ay .. hopefully if he comes Baz can do something with him.

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No doubt there'll be debate over signing him. Imagine he won't be on big coin and the Panthers will have to pay some of his contract for next year. Would love us to sign another prop on top of this tho.

In Barrett we trust
Matt Lees is on the cards awaiting a release from St Helens

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: the mongrel we need. With thompson and Napa who the fuck would want to run at them, then you have Lewis who cut down that drug , intimidator. 2021 is looking exciting

Costa84

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just sick of these average signings...

They need to announce a big time coup like a Brandon Smith or a Harry Grant.

Surely no one is pumped about this signing.

Blank cheque was offered to Bateman so it appears that money continues to dwindle on the likes of the Green, Waddell and Hetherington type players who would struggle to start at any club bar the dogs next season.
He’s not shit though