Opinion NRL Tonight

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Buzz us a dick but he's right in this instance... Roosters and Storm are corrupt *****.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rothfield's argument was more along the lines of Cronk having a conflict of interest providing his services to 2 competing clubs

they have not considered or asked the question whether the clubs have looked to benefit from Cronk the player by promising to look after him after he retired

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's an improvement on the system that's been in place. But it's still a delay of close to half a season. I can understand age restrictions which are there to avoid busting youngsters that haven't developed physically. But I used to enjoy seeing players come out of nowhere and make an immediate impact based off a good year in the reserves.
Remember the days you could play nsw cup on sat and back up and play nrl on the Sunday? Why the need to wait until round 11? Can someone please give me a logical explanation?

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree wholeheartedly. Pre salary cap days anyone in the Club could be named to play. I'm a firm believer this current system, and the money in the game, and lack of other income earning education or training most players do, and the fact consequently most NRL players are so reluctant to stop playing only works to prevent up and comers getting a chance.

Gone are the days of 3 grades against a Club with the best from 3rds sitting on bench for 2nd grade then best from 2nds sitting on bench for 1sts. An 18 year old guy who went well in 3rds could be given a chance in 1sts...maybe getting a run in back end of a game. A just reward for a good game in 3rds. Didn't happen often but could happen.

Pathways of kids coming through are so restricted now. Top 30 and older players hanging on past their used by date means lowest % of third graders now make it to NRL level than ever before. This is a fact.
This is correct....those were the days....why have they changed this system? Please someone offer a logical explanation

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends on what they mean by play. We have Katoa but he's not much more than a body...
They can just say they want to use a bench hooker too.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember the days you could play nsw cup on sat and back up and play nrl on the Sunday? Why the need to wait until round 11? Can someone please give me a logical explanation?
It is the NRL’s solution to a seriously floored Salary Cap. With some clubs benefiting hugely from TPA’s and other clubs not getting anything out of TPA’s. Thus making the Salary Cap irrelevant. Capping clubs to 30 players that can play 1st Grade is a way they can limit some clubs from stacking their squads.

Dog gone

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Rothfield's argument was more along the lines of Cronk having a conflict of interest providing his services to 2 competing clubs

they have not considered or asked the question whether the clubs have looked to benefit from Cronk the player by promising to look after him after he retired
This is how they dodge the salary cap , still paying him big money after he finishes with the club in some sort of role ,so that while he is playing they can pay him less

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
exciting times, I hope he does play

alic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
NO ASK NOWWWWW
Oh I just remembered it’s Tuesday haha , so we will find out by 4. Just gutted that averillo is ruled out , we really need him to give us something different .

Flanagan has massive pressure on him, other teams will eat him alive if we don’t take pressure off him .

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Oh I just remembered it’s Tuesday haha , so we will find out by 4. Just gutted that averillo is ruled out , we really need him to give us something different .

Flanagan has massive pressure on him, other teams will eat him alive if we don’t take pressure off him .
Yeh. Knights 1-12 tbh

alic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yeh. Knights 1-12 tbh
We have tough first 5 rounds and every win is important . We do not want to go 0-5 from our start. Their will be no coming back after that . So we really need to bag atleast 2 wins from these games .

we play
knights
Panthers
Broncos
Rabbits
Storm .

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We have tough first 5 rounds and every win is important . We do not want to go 0-5 from our start. Their will be no coming back after that . So we really need to bag atleast 2 wins from these games .

we play
knights
Panthers
Broncos
Rabbits
Storm .
Need to beat knights and broncos. If not. Another bottom 4 finish is on the cards.

With avo, okunbor (meany is piss) and Thompson out. I dont think we'll match them

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

we play
knights
Panthers
Broncos
Rabbits
Storm .
Yeah you would hope a "W" against knights & ponys.....if there was another it would be amazing but possibly a step too far.... 0 from 5 would add pressure to the whole club & would be a shame as it ends up resulting in decisions made for survival rather than future success.....

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I have heard that too many times.

Gotta love pre-season hopes
I've heard it too many times as well, but just seeing how leaned up our players are in the trial and very fit gives me hope.

When the incoming coach says that he watched our games closely and saw how we got run down last year many times in the last 20 mins because of our fitness, it's very refreshing to hear a coach recognize our weakness and do something about it. I'm confident we'll be in this till the 80th minute even if were behind at half time.